JFcustom's FOAM files

First ever build so a few newbie questions:

Sorry if this has been asked but where can i buy 7mm Foam in the UK, all i can find is camping mats would be expensive building these out of camping foam ?

Looking to build the female iron man costume (rescue armour)

How many rolls should i buy ?

Can you recommend a decent glue gun ?

hi crimsondante I asked this question about the foam mats uk and was advised to look at tescos they do a 6mm camping mat with silver foil on it and the price for them are £2.50 I am going today to get a few and see what its like will let you know

Buy Tesco Insulated Foil Backed Foam Camping Mat from our Air Beds & Ready Beds range - Tesco.com

Great stuff ! wow thats half the price i seen it listed at

Let me know how it goes because i want to start the build next week

hi just been to store to get them. If you are going to get um its best you order them online for pick up instore

Can you let me know how the quality of the foam is like?

I have tried other camping mats and they are poo. If you run your finger nail VERY lightly on the camping mats, you will leave a mark! that is how rubbish they are.

by the way. if you guys were wondering about what mats JF is using then it's decathlon mats. go to decathlon.co.uk to get them. I think they are £3 something a roll. The mat itself is good but they are slightly textured so not the best if you want a smooth surface.

Can you let me know how the quality of the foam is like?

I have tried other camping mats and they are poo. If you run your finger nail VERY lightly on the camping mats, you will leave a mark! that is how rubbish they are.

by the way. if you guys were wondering about what mats JF is using then it's decathlon mats. go to decathlon.co.uk to get them. I think they are £3 something a roll. The mat itself is good but they are slightly textured so not the best if you want a smooth surface.

These ones ?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/essential-fitness-mat-id_8131782.html

Thats not bad its only £0.50 more than the tesco one, have you used them on your suit ?

These ones ?

Essential Fitness Mat DOMYOS - Exercise Mats Fitness, Dance, Martial arts -...

Thats not bad its only £0.50 more than the tesco one, have you used them on your suit ?

I have only used these to mats for quick builds like helmets. I brought a few rolls to test them out but I noticed it hasn't got a flat surface so I just made a few items to see they are.
The over all quality of the mat is great. This is by far the easiest mat to work with, I have used about 5 different types of mats. Hoever the best mat in my opinion is still plastazote.

These are my plastazote foam builds.

These are the decathlon builds

Thanks they are very expensive £20 a roll, was the iron man helmet made of that ?

Guyver helmet looks amazing ! right from my childhood :

Have you seen this note:

• [h=3]SPECIAL OFFER - IF PLASTAZOTE IS BEING COVERED OR PAINTED ETC WE HAVE STOCK OF SLIGHTLY IMPERFECT WHITE SHEETS IN 8MM THICK AT SPECIAL PRICE - THESE ARE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE UNDER "IMPERFECT" WHITE LD45 2MX1MX8M[/h]

Also if i used the decathlon mats could i just not apply a thin layer of body filler over the top ? sand it down ?

What are the cost implications is it cheaper in to use plastazote or decathalon masks and body filler ?

How many rolls do you need for your average build ?

Last edited:
Also if i used the decathlon mats could i just not apply a thin layer of body filler over the top ? sand it down ?

What are the cost implications is it cheaper in to use plastazote or decathalon masks and body filler ?

How many rolls do you need for your average build ?

I have done a few tests with the decathlon mats.
1. apply resin to the mat and see if it will melt or hold up = doesn't melt the mat (maybe its just the resin I used as I can't confirm other resin will effect the mats) but you can peel the resin off once tried.

2. apply body filler to mat = just peels off like the resin.

3. apply rondo to mat = same as above, just peels off

4. Applied PVA glue then hit it with resin = works perfectly!! the resin has something to bite onto so it's alot harder to peel the resin off.

5. Same as above but with rondo, again the rondo doesn't peel off buy my mix might be wrong as the rondo still bends a little before snapping.

6. same as above, PVA, resin then body filler = workabit surface and you can sand but if you apply too much pressure then the resin and body filler will snap.

7. Paint the foam with ruber acrylic = the paint will flake off if you rub it

8. PVA then acrylic = Paints stays on and you can pretty much bend the foam anyway without paint cracking issues.....BUT acrylics are not water friendly so if you wear this and it rains then some colours may come off.

it's cheaper and easier to use decathlon mats but as you can see, they are slightly bumpy and most of the builds/amours requires a smooth/flat surface. Plastazote is the best mat I have use but it's expensive. so there is no real winner.
I have also tried to find a product in the UK that you can apply to the mats and it gives it a hard/smooth outer layer. no luck :( If you guys know of such products then please let me know. OR if you can find a mat that is no as weak as the camping mats or as good as decathlon mats but without the bumps. Then please let me know

- - - Updated - - -

@ep82, where do you get your plastazote?

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

I first got mine from thames valley but they are way over priced. 1 roll of 10mm plasta zote got me from helmet to abs including the arms :)

I have done a few tests with the decathlon mats.
1. apply resin to the mat and see if it will melt or hold up = doesn't melt the mat (maybe its just the resin I used as I can't confirm other resin will effect the mats) but you can peel the resin off once tried.

2. apply body filler to mat = just peels off like the resin.

3. apply rondo to mat = same as above, just peels off

4. Applied PVA glue then hit it with resin = works perfectly!! the resin has something to bite onto so it's alot harder to peel the resin off.

5. Same as above but with rondo, again the rondo doesn't peel off buy my mix might be wrong as the rondo still bends a little before snapping.

6. same as above, PVA, resin then body filler = workabit surface and you can sand but if you apply too much pressure then the resin and body filler will snap.

7. Paint the foam with ruber acrylic = the paint will flake off if you rub it

8. PVA then acrylic = Paints stays on and you can pretty much bend the foam anyway without paint cracking issues.....BUT acrylics are not water friendly so if you wear this and it rains then some colours may come off.

it's cheaper and easier to use decathlon mats but as you can see, they are slightly bumpy and most of the builds/amours requires a smooth/flat surface. Plastazote is the best mat I have use but it's expensive. so there is no real winner.
I have also tried to find a product in the UK that you can apply to the mats and it gives it a hard/smooth outer layer. no luck :( If you guys know of such products then please let me know. OR if you can find a mat that is no as weak as the camping mats or as good as decathlon mats but without the bumps. Then please let me know

- - - Updated - - -

I first got mine from thames valley but they are way over priced. 1 roll of 10mm plasta zote got me from helmet to abs including the arms :)

So what about the imperfect plastazote from thames vally ?

How many rolls did you use or need ?

I might make one test armour from the foam roll to learn how to cut and shape and then go from there

Hi all. I was curious if anyone else was having trouble downloading files. I tried to download the Arkham Asylum Cowl and got something that looks like code of some sort. Is anyone else having this problem?

So what about the imperfect plastazote from thames vally ?

How many rolls did you use or need ?

I might make one test armour from the foam roll to learn how to cut and shape and then go from there

I never brought any imperfection foam from them before so I cant tell you.

to make a complete iron man suit, I used 1 and a 1/2 sheets

Decathlon mats don't have a smooth side, it's also quite difficult to find something that adheres to them well.
JF uses a roof paint but I couldn't find it in the UK.

Have you tried taking a mouse sander to the surface before you apply your finish? Some foams have a "no-stick surface" due to the vulcanization process during manufacturing. It works great for me. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back