Raptor Bust New Pics Pg. 3 - Jurassic Park Velociraptor

Re: Jurassic Park Velociraptor Bust

Nice! Thanks, I've never seen that before. Here are some random pics I have, I'm just not sure if there's any consistency to the eyes they all seem to be different

2013-06-17_18-32-10_543.jpgeyes.jpgeyes2.jpg00-cover.jpg

So I decided to tone it down a notch by giving the eyes a wash of lighter yellow. They were just way to colorful. I'm pretty happy with them now, I think they're more believable now at least.
DSCN1398.jpg

DSCN1399.jpg

I think you toned them down too much, after looking at those screen grabs. The details and veins on te eyeball are very distinct on the screen grabs. I think you toned them down too much with the yellow wash.

so far so good, im going to try my hand at a compy sculpt at some point, these posts have given me inspiration! :thumbsup

I think you toned them down too much, after looking at those screen grabs. The details and veins on te eyeball are very distinct on the screen grabs. I think you toned them down too much with the yellow wash.
Yeah i see what you're saying. It's hard to get a good representation of how they look in a picture. In real life the veins look a little darker, and the yellow is a tiny bit brighter. I might still darken the veins more. The problem was the yellow and orange were too bright before.

theukcollector - glad to inspire :D can't wait to see your project

Last edited:

Them's some nice curves you've got going.

What did you use to make the eyes?

Thanks haha I'm pretty happy with it. The clear outside of the eyes are the two halves of a clear fillable ornament. I just cut the loop off. The inside is just crappy air dry clay I had sitting around, which was actually getting moldy :sick pretty gross. I just used the inside of the ornament to shape it. Here's how they look now

2013-06-23_15-46-08_273.jpg

2013-06-23_15-46-27_251.jpg

2013-06-22_20-23-14_731.jpg

I may have went a little overboard with this stuff, we'll see I guess
2013-06-22_15-18-54_483.jpg

Excellent!

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

Nice work on the scaling so far. Still mad jealous of your curves, especially in the neck.

I don't know exactly how you sculpt with the material you're using, but one trick I learned while doing mine was to lay varying thicknesses of plastic on top of the clay before doing the scale patterns (thick plastic for deeper creases, thinner for for more subtle). It gave the texture a nice rounded and natural appearance.

Thanks, and thanks. So far on this eye section i was using a dental scaler to make the lines. I could definitely try that method once the material is less sticky. To get texture i used an acid brush and gentle taps with a wire brush too. The working time was shortened considerably around the eye since there was so much shaping i needed to do before i could carve the lines. Should be easier from here on forward

Great job on the eyes. I found when sculpting in apoxy sculpt that if you brush water over with a stiff brush, little dabs with a small wire brush, then remove the excess water off by dabbing with a sponge quite hard, you get a more natural texture to the surface.
Can't wait to see more.

Oh man, the memories of the countless hours texturing and retexturing are all rushing back to me.

Looking nice, good thinking with marking out the lip scales.

Looking really good!! The foam carving/shaping & the scales are looking Awesome :) :thumbsup

Oh man, the memories of the countless hours texturing and retexturing are all rushing back to me.

Looking nice, good thinking with marking out the lip scales.

Haha yeah...and with this stuff it's a one shoot deal so if i don't like it I have to live with it. The lip scales actually started out as a straight line and looked horrible so i applied them individually and kept them fairly smooth. I'm pretty happy with it now ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back