Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Yep looks like a few of those actuators broke off & were glued back in the wrong spot,....the Chronicles book is the best guide to an original paint job Falcon

Before & after

5ft ANH Top Viewbefore & after.jpg

91pIt9p8SWL.jpg

J

Last edited:

This!
Misting / dusting is the reason I ask this.

Logically decals would come before weathering but when misting is involved iim afraid it will wash out the details on the decal.

I may do 80% of misting first, apply the decals, and then mist the other 20% afterwards.

Still up in the air

You know, I've been thinking about the misting I'm going to do on my kit, and I'm not entirely sure to what extent I'm going to use it. There's the couple very obvious uses, like fading the colored panels and darkening the sidewalls, BUT there is a general dirtiness all over the falcon which I'm trying to figure out how to recreate. Some of it, like on the top gunbay area (the big circle, not sure what to call it) has subtle washes over it that make it look dirty, but the rest of the falcon, especially in large areas of panels, looks dirty because ILM sanded over the surface. I'm not sure if I should just sand my model in a similar method, using an extremely fine grit, or if dusting would genuinely recreate the look...

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

You know, I've been thinking about the misting I'm going to do on my kit, and I'm not entirely sure to what extent I'm going to use it. There's the couple very obvious uses, like fading the colored panels and darkening the sidewalls, BUT there is a general dirtiness all over the falcon which I'm trying to figure out how to recreate. Some of it, like on the top gunbay area (the big circle, not sure what to call it) has subtle washes over it that make it look dirty, but the rest of the falcon, especially in large areas of panels, looks dirty because ILM sanded over the surface. I'm not sure if I should just sand my model in a similar method, using an extremely fine grit, or if dusting would genuinely recreate the look...

I know what youre talking about.

Ive already planned out my weathering sequence.

First im going to apply the light yellowish areas by airbrushing some aged white.

Then im going to airbrush a mixture of “grime” for those subtle dirty darkened Areas.

Then use a mixture of sand/brown and dark grey for the darker streaks and burns.

Controlled washes.

Chipping.

Misting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First im going to apply the light yellowish areas by airbrushing some aged white.

Then im going to airbrush a mixture of “grime” for those subtle dirty darkened Areas.

Then use a mixture of sand/brown and dark grey for the darker streaks and burns.

Controlled washes.

Chipping.

Misting

I'll be taking notes when you get to that stage! My main concern with painting this thing is that I want all these layers of weathering effects without overdoing it or making it look sloppy

Controlled washes.

Chipping.

Misting

Doing the weathering is the most exciting and challenging part of the build. Yhis is where you really get it the artistry.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Doing the weathering is the most exciting and challenging part of the build. Yhis is where you really get it the artistry.

The main worry for me with weathering is aurbrusb malfunction...which always seems to be the case.

Hey guys, this may be a good time to bring up this technique I've been experimenting with in order to get fine airbrushed streaks. On my previous Falcon, I mostly did the streaks using oils, brushes, and even illustration pencils. They look okay, but don't quite match the 5-footer. I really want that soft airbushed look, but can't get my airbrush to spray a really narrow line. So I made a mask using clear sheet plastic and played around spraying streaks holding the matte a few millimeters off the model surface. Using the clear sheet allows me to position the streak exactly where I want it. The results look pretty good so far, but I definitely need to keep experimenting and practicing. What do you think?
IMG_8989.jpgIMG_8990.jpg

The results look pretty good so far, but I definitely need to keep experimenting and practicing. What do you think?

I made a little tool to help with the streak marks. If I get some time tomorrow, I'll test them out and share the results. Basically the same idea though, a slit that is elevated.

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Hey guys, this may be a good time to bring up this technique I've been experimenting with in order to get fine airbrushed streaks. On my previous Falcon, I mostly did the streaks using oils, brushes, and even illustration pencils. They look okay, but don't quite match the 5-footer. I really want that soft airbushed look, but can't get my airbrush to spray a really narrow line. So I made a mask using clear sheet plastic and played around spraying streaks holding the matte a few millimeters off the model surface. Using the clear sheet allows me to position the streak exactly where I want it. The results look pretty good so far, but I definitely need to keep experimenting and practicing. What do you think?
View attachment 788986View attachment 788987

Looks good!!

I dont think I could keep my hand still enough holding the stencil while using the airbrush in the other hand.

I made a few tests using the rolled tape technique I told you about.

c4c11f77b2bbd3076b277331f861a926.jpg

53ec6ea042d27b09e2e56b3694da9e79.jpg

fdd3119b86ede4f5435dccc854efa7be.jpg
699f187378399604303db44d7c1edfd2.jpg

Standard soft edge...sharper edge just press down on the rolls.
Wider streak, or a taper on one end, just adjust the placement of the tape.

I did some surgery on the cockpit over the weekend. Drilled out the LED holes in the harness and then cut out some of the wall to get illumination as far down as needed.

b7bc63add49e04bdc0f3de25a4b6d4bc.jpg

f612e83cc1e2e68ede0e45a2054158a9.jpg

cac434ebe297aa66efa95b47afb6ff45.jpg

And this is where I’m leaving things for a bit.

bbf8e8c3801196fdfebdec6bac0a11c9.jpg

Big chunks are assembled, and I’m just keeping the whole model together in a loose fit. I know I’m going to prime and base coat the recessed areas first. From there, I’m debating how I want to paint the ship. I think I’ll probably finish assembly. That would at least let me get the last pieces off the sprues. I’ve got time to think about that. This is literally the first model kit I’ve ever done, so I’ve got to gather up all the paints I need and spend some time learning how to airbrush.

For anyone who went with Tamiya white mixed with deck tan... I mixed up a 3:1 batch and it still looks a bit dark. Just curious if anyone using this mix went 4:1 or even 5:1?

I played around base coat mixes on iModelKit before I found a bottle of Reefer White at a hobby shop. The Tamiya white/deck tan mix ends up being about 10:1 before it looks close.

I got my set (OT & PT) from Amazon- they had a dented slipcover which knocked some off the price.

Best reference in my collection- well worth the investment.

For anyone who went with Tamiya white mixed with deck tan... I mixed up a 3:1 batch and it still looks a bit dark. Just curious if anyone using this mix went 4:1 or even 5:1?

Mine varies between all those ratios you mention. I start with about 4:1 and than adjust to taste.

Rear deck done in pic below with neutral grey base (primer) coat.
1489fc93c3fbdf4a4ef2c7ae2bc3f9e4.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back