Darth Saber’s Millennium Falcon -Bandai Perfect Grade WIP

I don't know about you, Darth Saber, but I'm driving myself nuts worrying about whether I'm painting these panels too light, too dark, not warm, too cool, etc. One minute they'll look too light and I'll think, "will they disappear once I put the weathering on top or will the weathering make them look darker???" It doesn't help that the panels, and their relationships to other panels, look different from one shot to the next in my reference photos. I'm currently agonizing over getting the right boxcar red hue and tone. Is it too red? Too brown? Too dark? Not dark enough? It's insanity.
IMG_8931.jpg

I don't know about you, Darth Saber, but I'm driving myself nuts worrying about whether I'm painting these panels too light, too dark, not warm, too cool, etc. One minute they'll look too light and I'll think, "will they disappear once I put the weathering on top or will the weathering make them look darker???" It doesn't help that the panels, and their relationships to other panels, look different from one shot to the next in my reference photos. I'm currently agonizing over getting the right boxcar red hue and tone. Is it too red? Too brown? Too dark? Not dark enough? It's insanity.

Yeah its enough to drive one crazy.

I’m just taking it one step at a time.
Ill deal with the problem when I get to it.

Keeping fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed most of the wide heavy darkened weathering is along the edges of the falcon.
Most of the inside stuff is just streaks and occasionally light weathering.

Should be ok

View attachment 787942

Think your panels are looking spot on for this stage of painting. Not too saturated and not too light.

I know I should wait until I have smaller Falcon models under my belt before I tackle this one, but you guys are making it hard to stay disciplined...heh. Looks awesome!

View attachment 787942
I don't know if this helps, but I've yet to do a falcon where after first painting the panels I don't think that it looks too dark and toy like. I keep reminding myself to be patient and after I weather it and mist them lightly with some base coat, it will all come together. Yours is looking right on the money so far.

Last edited:
I always try to go lighter the smaller the scale.

Heres the 006 Falcon and the 1/144 Falcon i did recently.
Its hard not to go overboard with weathering.

006-

7ea0de7c291f62a5c2f288ce4c7f03fd.jpg
9e61932d1ee63597b1427e47364b855d.jpg
946735bfd2c71073674cdb4719754f8f.jpg

1bf98c25cd8a78665908f9a1b1dd639a.jpg

1/144

30a5702aa7767302b5da4a393d05b47f.jpg
1aa0653b28a35a403546d1867127efed.jpg
3f548b2aa9be6522cbe9c7307b4af0a8.jpg

looks amazing...! I really like the paint choices you're making. Can you tell me where you found the link to the 3D file for the bottom mount? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm not familiar with how to 'print' the part, either. Are there sources for it to be done? Thanks, K

Last edited:
Nice looking build mate . Thanks for sharing . Especially liking the base colour and shade of red . Any idea how you’re going to tackle the chipping aspect of the weathering ?

:cheersGed

Nice looking build mate . Thanks for sharing . Especially liking the base colour and shade of red . Any idea how you’re going to tackle the chipping aspect of the weathering ?

:cheersGed

Thanks.

Probably just simple brush work for the chipping.

Im also working on some new techniques for airbrush streaking.

Often times I see people using the old trick of using an index card as a a stencil to creat streaks...The streak ends up looking good but the fact that one side of the streak has sharp edge and the other side has a soft edges always kind of bugged me. I always felt the streaks should have soft edges on both sides.

If this new technique works out the way I think it will work out Then Ill be able to create straight airbrush streaks with soft edges on either side every time.

Im gonna do some tests and post the results soon.

Im also working on some new techniques for airbrush streaking.

I've had this idea in my head of making a tool for making streaks. It would be elevated off the surface of the model and have a slit cut through it, so that when you airbrush over the slit, most of the paint goes straight down, but because of the elevation, some paint goes to the side which creates the fogginess. No idea if this will actually work, but I'm interested to see what you come up with!

I've had this idea in my head of making a tool for making streaks. It would be elevated off the surface of the model and have a slit cut through it, so that when you airbrush over the slit, most of the paint goes straight down, but because of the elevation, some paint goes to the side which creates the fogginess. No idea if this will actually work, but I'm interested to see what you come up with!

Mine is similar...except it involves masking tape rolled into small tubes.

Roll the masking tape into tubes and then stick them on the same way you would normal masking tape.
The round circumference of the tape will allow a slight bit of over spray under the tape which gives the soft edge...if you want a sharper edge you simply flatten down the tube of tape...the more you flatten the sharper the edge. Fairly simple.

Ive already tested it out and it seems to work fine, however the paint I was using wasnt thinned down as much as I will when I do weathering. It should work fine though.

I call it Streak Tubing (tm). Lol

Last edited:
That looks awesome! What paint colors did you use for your Red, Dark Grey, Very faint light grey, and tan panels?

Lets see-

All paints are Vallejo Air and ratio based on a 3/4 filled standard gravity feed airbrush cup.

Red-
Ferarri Red and a bit of Sea Grey. (Misted with base color)

Dark Grey-
Sea Grey, Light Grey and USAF light grey.
(This one was tricky...some photos this looks warm, some it looks cool.
Decided to go with cool)

Feint light grey-
USAF light grey couple of drops of Pale Blue Grey

Tan-
USAF light grey, Yellow Sand, Light Grey, couple drops of Aged White.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back