Star Wars Anthology (Obi-Wan Kenobi)

I think Lucas abandoned that idea they were heavy. Katanas aren't heavy and the lightsaber is pretty much a space version. I didn't think TFA was OT dueling at all. It was much faster and looked like they kept the Prequel speed, but took out all the flashy stuff.

I always felt that the highly-charged energy of the light beam coming out of a lightsaber made it difficult to wield. Luke and Obi Wan mostly use two hands to wield it in the OT. Vader uses one hand, but he's strong AF. I would definitely not equate the weapon to an inert sword like a Katana,

As for TFA, I agree that the dueling was not a total return to the OT style. But I disagree with you it was the same speed as the PT, only missing the flashiness. I think it was slowed down, and I'm betting, that the actors were told to fight like it was heavier than it appeared in the PT, and more like it did in the OT. So, not a total return to OT dueling, but somewhere in between OT dueling and PT dueling, but closer to the OT style/speed. It certainly jumped out at me, and as I said earlier, the change was one of the few things I admired about the film.

The Wook

...As for TFA, I agree that the dueling was not a total return to the OT style. But I disagree with you it was the same speed as the PT, only missing the flashiness. I think it was slowed down, and I'm betting, that the actors were told to fight like it was heavier than it appeared in the PT, and more like it did in the OT. So, not a total return to OT dueling, but somewhere in between OT dueling and PT dueling, but closer to the OT style/speed. It certainly jumped out at me, and as I said earlier, the change was one of the few things I admired about the film.

lThe Wook
Also, let's not forget that Rey and Finn each had some experience with weapons, but neither had ever used a lightsaber before and had no training whatsoever. As such they both swung it somewhat awkwardly as if it were a club, trying to use brute strength rather than finesse which is what most novices would probably do; it was only after Rey trusted her instincts and allowed The Force to control her actions that she was able to stop Kylo Ren, and even then she was only slightly more proficient.

Veering back towards the main topic, for an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie I think the only real story choice they have at this point is to tell what he did during those roughly 20 years he was watching over Luke on Tatooine. He couldn't possibly have spent every day camped out surveilling the Lars' moisture farm like a stalker, so how did he occupy his time? He was clearly familiar with Mos Eisley, the Sandpeople, and his local surroundings ("The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly."), so there's some storytelling potential right there. As for his lightsaber, I agree it's use should be as minimal and covert as possible so as not to let anyone suspect he's a Jedi Knight.

Part of the reason I can't stand Rebels and Clone Wars for that matter is Dave Filoni keeps coming up with unnecessary Jedi characters for Obi-Wan or Anakin to train. For the Jedi Council to give Anakin an apprentice and yet not give him the rank of Jedi Master in ROTS makes no sense at all. What does the rank of master even mean then?

If they do make an Obi-Wan movie I DO NOT want to see him go off world to train ANOTHER Jedi initiate who miraculously survived Order 66. It would undermine the idea of him training Luke which would be a glaring plot hole in the OT of Luke and Leia being the last of the Jedi.

I'd much rather see Obi-Wan go off on some adventure that was a bit more localized to Tatooinne. I mean if he's a fugitive of the Empire, do you really think he'd risk going off world all the time to go on adventures? It seems to negate the idea of him going into hiding. It would be more interesting seeing him navigate the barren waste lands trying to survive and perhaps fending off Tuskens or other invading locals.

I could imagine it being almost like a western where he just wants to be left alone and he gets reluctantly pulled into some conflict and he goes only to ensure that he can live in peace to live out the last of his days. At least until he can seek out Luke and try to train him in the ways of the Force.

"Jedi knight" and "Jedi master" and "grand Jedi master" are all different titles

When you are introduced into the Jedi ways you start as a youngling. Youngling train and once a galactic year enter in a padawan trails where they battle one another

The Jedi knights then over see this and if they see anyone they like they take them on as their "padawan leaners"

You don't need to be a Jedi master to have a padawan

This is what I got as of the now with the new canon.

Jedi masters are the only ones who can sit on the council by vote. And there is only one grand master (yoda) who sits on the council

I see. To me the only thing that is canon is the movies. If I have to read a book, watch a tv series, or play a video game to get crucial plot or character information then there is a gaping hole in the story. These mediums can enhance a story but they should really only be secondary to the main story which is the films.

This is in direct contrast to what I said before, but if I had to cast a non Ewan Obi Wan my choice would be Richard Dormer (Beric Dondarrion from GoT). I think he has a bit more gravitas to lend the role of a slightly broken or disillusioned Ben.

Do it... for Guinness.

Do it, McGregor. You know you want it...

041E8FC0000003E8-4073588-image-a-21_1483023422669.jpg

This is out of the blue and interesting. Talking about TLJ is becoming as much of a chore than watching it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean to tell us that SRS has become more ego/crazy driven with age??:confused:rolleyes He was always like that from day one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:behave You cannot be a director without exhibiting some kind of crazy ego!! He said it many times: "You're either with me, or against me!" That's it, that's all...you see my vision or the door is right there. Period!

You mean to tell us that SRS has become more ego/crazy driven with age??:confused:rolleyes He was always like that from day one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:behave You cannot be a director without exhibiting some kind of crazy ego!! He said it many times: "You're either with me, or against me!" That's it, that's all...you see my vision or the door is right there. Period!

I think I would make a good director.

I'm certain you would;) If you don't believe in your story( very useful during your pitch to the money men), and your ability to deliver a movie within budget/on time without changes to your vision then you gotta be, somewhat, a dictator/director! Now you take Cameron for example; when he yell at someone on the crew for not doing his/her job, it's because he can do the job himself first!! He knows camera work, special effects, weapons, engineering, lighting, etc...a machine I say, a machine:)

I'm certain you would;) If you don't believe in your story( very useful during your pitch to the money men), and your ability to deliver a movie within budget/on time without changes to your vision then you gotta be, somewhat, a dictator/director! Now you take Cameron for example; when he yell at someone on the crew for not doing his/her job, it's because he can do the job himself first!! He knows camera work, special effects, weapons, engineering, lighting, etc...a machine I say, a machine:)

A Star Wars director possessing the unyielding conviction you speak of, that his vision be followed to the letter, will indeed make a truly great Star Wars film. Provided one thing, of course--that he is also possesses a high SWIQ.

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back