Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

My appeal to Bandai. I'm totally good with the price, but can't afford one this year, probably next. It would be a shame if this model doesn't stay in production for many years to come.

My appeal to Bandai. I'm totally good with the price, but can't afford one this year, probably next. It would be a shame if this model doesn't stay in production for many years to come.

I'm in a similar predicament. Will take me a few months to have the cash, but what will the availability be like after the release date?

I've heard some suggest that this may be only the first of a series with other versions available later, though I think that may just be wishful thinking.

I'm in a similar predicament. Will take me a few months to have the cash, but what will the availability be like after the release date?

I've heard some suggest that this may be only the first of a series with other versions available later, though I think that may just be wishful thinking.

Yeah, that was never confirmed or rumored, just speculation.

I can't post the ref I have as it's not mine & cannot share publicly I'm afraid, but some examples of the names found on the underside in various places are of Lorne Peterson, Mary Lind, Joe Johnston & Paul Huston to name a few.

Ok. Could you identify the physical areas we'd want to examine more closely?

- nkg

Does anyone have any idea how big the production run will be?

All we know is that Bandai is calling it a "Limited Edition." Whether that means there will be future editions or additional runs beyond this first offering is anyone's guess.

The concern is this plaque at the reveal that says 'limited quantity'. This has been interpreted many ways on this forum. It is my hope that this version with lighting, stand maybe special packaging is limited. I am hoping the model itself, ANH version remains available to the masses for years to come.

tk20.jpg

I would certainly like to see a cheaper version without lighting (and a fancy stand I won't use anyway). It couldn't cost much more than $5 to DIY the ANH lighting, and I'd prefer to do that than spend big bucks on an overpriced light kit. But I'm also not going to take a chance on missing out by waiting for a cheaper kit that may never happen.

It's also possible the "limited quantity" approach is simply good business strategy. Short run, feel out the market. If they all sell, fine, do a another run either with the same features at the same price point, or with less features at a lower price, or even a different approach. Limiting how many a consumer can buy also gives better sales data. From a business standpoint, it's a smart move. What really matters at this point is how many are produced and how well they sell. I think at the least, this run will recoup their investment.

It would also be funny if the card was meant to say "Limited Edition," not "Quantity." Limited quantity might also refer to how many one consumer can buy, not necessarily how big the run will be.

Last edited:

One suggestion...don't darken panel lines. It always looks terrible on star wars models

I know I'm a nobody and have never posted any of my work here but I couldn't disagree more. I don't believe there is a model that exists that wouldn't benefit from a proper panel line wash.

Exhibit A - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=264206

Looks like at least 50% of the panel lines are darkened here - some could even be considered a bit stark. Especially around the cockpit tube. And please forgive me, I really love your work and hope I can do as well.

Maybe I'm just arguing a technicality here - you didn't say no panel line washes, just dark ones. I believe if done correct it really improves the models look.

Also I know this thread is about the falcon but how about http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278065. Looks like a bit of a wash on the panels eh? Is that work that you'd consider bad? Would be better without the panel lines washed?

Of course this is my $0.02, don't taunt happy fun ball, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, etc.

Regards,

Brad.

PS I didn't mean to abuse you but this was like the 4th time I've seen that statement and it just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

I'm not a fan of darkening in panel lines. I am a proponent of darkening in strategically placed lines and crevices where you see a build up of dirt or the beginning of an oil streak. I see too many models where they are all darkened in uniformly and it just doesn't look realistic, which may be what astroboy is getting at. It's not something that happens in a real world application and it's not how ILM did it either. So if you want an ILM paint job then darkening in all the lines isn't a good strategy. That's my 2 cents and I'm a nobody also.

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I know I'm a nobody and have never posted any of my work here but I couldn't disagree more. I don't believe there is a model that exists that wouldn't benefit from a proper panel line wash.

Exhibit A - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=264206

Looks like at least 50% of the panel lines are darkened here - some could even be considered a bit stark. Especially around the cockpit tube. And please forgive me, I really love your work and hope I can do as well.

Maybe I'm just arguing a technicality here - you didn't say no panel line washes, just dark ones. I believe if done correct it really improves the models look.

Also I know this thread is about the falcon but how about http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278065. Looks like a bit of a wash on the panels eh? Is that work that you'd consider bad? Would be better without the panel lines washed?

Of course this is my $0.02, don't taunt happy fun ball, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, etc.

Regards,

Brad.

PS I didn't mean to abuse you but this was like the 4th time I've seen that statement and it just doesn't work for me.

From what Ive seen, none of the original Star Wars ship models have darkened panel lines.
However this doesnt mean that a modeler couldnt add his own artistic interpretation and add darkened panel lines if he chooses to.

I personally dont darken panel lines but thats just me.

7a4d291aed452446e44da1fd2162a52a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

It's a matter of scale lighting and contrast.
Objects farther away will have less contrast than objects that are closer.
If you want something to look bigger, you paint it with less contrast.
Hence no (or subdued) panel lines.
Your AT-AT looks great, Scarecrow. But it doesn't look big (sorry...:().

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back