Bandai 1/48 X-wing Moving Edition

korben44

Master Member
Been looking forward to this one!

20180330_160404.jpg

Although I enjoy this kit, I think the whole 'moving edition' part takes away from the modeling experience. One of the led's is out, so I'll have to replace that. And I feel that more could have been done with the base and sound effects. All there is in this build is the motion of opening the wings in attack position and laser blast sounds. The detail of the kit and the 1/48 scale make up for the lack of imagination in the movement and sound effects aspect of this kit.
20180404_005018.jpg20180404_005029.jpg

Whats the retail on that one?

And how long is it in 1:48?

If you are willing to wait several weeks with shipping I got one on Amazon for $78 with free shipping

Currently they have one listed for $98 with free standard shipping (or 2 day with Prime)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T41F0U6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here it is compared to the Fine Molds 1/48 version (sorry for the crappy phone camera pics)
Bandai as red 5 on top and Fine Molds as Red 3 on the bottom

FM left, Bandai right

Like the 1/72 versions, It is just a little smaller, but not by much

Details wise, and even basic shapes wise, it is amazing how different they are though. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise considering they were supposedly based off different sources. I believe Fine Molds is based on the larger ESB/ROTJ hero model that was built while Bandai's is based on the original studio models.

I think Bandai's 1/48 kit is definitely the best commerical kit for an X-Wing.

Although I enjoy this kit, I think the whole 'moving edition' part takes away from the modeling experience. One of the led's is out, so I'll have to replace that. And I feel that more could have been done with the base and sound effects. All there is in this build is the motion of opening the wings in attack position and laser blast sounds. The detail of the kit and the 1/48 scale make up for the lack of imagination in the movement and sound effects aspect of this kit.
View attachment 807290View attachment 807291

It is a neat gimmick as far as the opening wings and lighting, especially for the very casual modeler who has never ventured down the path of lighting stuff, but overall there is no reason to by multiples of it, especially for how much the added electronics cost. They could have done better with providing ways to light up R2, more cockpit panels lights etc...

It's a shame they don't offer a non electronic version. I think they would have sold a lot more of them.

Yeah, the cockpit lighting is a huge let down. I'd love to upgrade it, but the time investment isn't worth it for me. I do wish they would offer a non motorized version. I love the scale. And Bandai is awesome. I would much rather invest a huge amount of time in a studio scale model.

I love that model. My 4 year old can make those wings open and close forever....

It feels like an SS model without needing the shelf space!

Attachments

• bandai x-wing pro shot.jpg
    bandai x-wing pro shot.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 124
Gah. I love the 1/48 scale of this model. I've wanted to pick one up for a while now, but can't justify spending over $100 for it. Hopefully they come out with a non-mechanized version sometime soon that would bring the cost down?

SB

I have one of these in my Closet of Doom- I am going to build it side by side with my Son as he puts together the ProModeler X-Wing I gave him for Christmas a while back.
(Right now we are building ISDs- he has the Revell snap kit while I deal with the Zvezda)

Gah. I love the 1/48 scale of this model. I've wanted to pick one up for a while now, but can't justify spending over $100 for it. Hopefully they come out with a non-mechanized version sometime soon that would bring the cost down?

SB

They did release a few non-electronic versions of some of the Yamato series ships recently. It was a fairly significant savings. $100 to $139 dollars vs $60 to $70 for example with the movie effects Andromeda vs the new carrier version that has no electronics

They could probably do the kit for $40 to $50 as it not only has lights and sound, but also the mechanical motor for the wings

They did release a few non-electronic versions of some of the Yamato series ships recently. It was a fairly significant savings. $100 to $139 dollars vs $60 to $70 for example with the movie effects Andromeda vs the new carrier version that has no electronics

They could probably do the kit for $40 to $50 as it not only has lights and sound, but also the mechanical motor for the wings

See, $40 or $50 I could handle. That would be great.

SB

I stripped the motors and suppled electronics out of mine and fitted my own lighting.
A lot of cutting involved due to way its constructed. I would have bought a Revell/Finemolds but they are nearly double the price of the Bandai in the UK.

Good looking model though. Are.you going to paint it?

I stripped the motors and suppled electronics out of mine and fitted my own lighting.
A lot of cutting involved due to way its constructed. I would have bought a Revell/Finemolds but they are nearly double the price of the Bandai in the UK.

Good looking model though. Are.you going to paint it?

It's an amazing model, for sure. I would have preferred a non motorized version, but, as mentioned, Bandai doesn't have one. And the finemolds version is the same price. I've already primed it and put the main hull color down. Gotta finish the cockpit then move on to weathering.

It might be a bit before I finish, though, because I have a few new 1/144 kits I'm eager to get done.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back