X-wing 1/72 bandai build and lighting

Socrates11

It's work in progress. Damn small for the lighting.
But I'll give it a try.
If anybody have any advice please speak out :)

My work as it is now.
14630e49ebbeb4d4a1dffbd1bb5cfee4.jpg
2a910412975aa30fc8957876a8d28bf6.jpg
8d592e76b844aca13f2e6373856fa78a.jpg
1275d93b35e306c5ab243d4c9d66319c.jpg
c6e18dcbe961de2e5e72ce664f807e63.jpg

I'm happy to be crazy :)

You're wired to the moon, but that's looking good.
I've one of these in the stash-I won't be lighting it, I'd rather keep my sanity...;)

You're wired to the moon, but that's looking good.
I've one of these in the stash-I won't be lighting it, I'd rather keep my sanity...;)
Lights in the engines is done :) (I don't dare to say how long this part only took). now r2-d2 ;)
And the cockpit.
fb28b0895e208178b547cce09d378d52.jpg
caf0127f540a11b26c3ce02f92161047.jpg
a6a9497115cb5d1b01befe92e542c330.jpg

The worst thing now is making the trenches for the the electric and optical wires... And then find space the the LEDs for the optical wire

I think that's one of the only downsides to Bandai's snap-together methodology, is that the fuselage isn't hollow for easier electronics access.

SB
i fully agree. there are no beter plastic model kits then bandai. (not talking resin kits).
i love it.

did build this one with lights?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T805 met Tapatalk

looks pretty good my friend, I was debating on hogging out the outer triangular areas of the engine bells. I see you were successful, makes me think now I can too, and must. I was going to run the wires through the attachment pin at the forward end of the engine tube. I see you went straight through the end and then turned into where the fuselage will be. Is that the better way? Also was looking at trying to illuminate the landing gear...any thoughts there? I see that we both have the lighting bug pretty bad, huh

looks pretty good my friend, I was debating on hogging out the outer triangular areas of the engine bells. I see you were successful, makes me think now I can too, and must. I was going to run the wires through the attachment pin at the forward end of the engine tube. I see you went straight through the end and then turned into where the fuselage will be. Is that the better way? Also was looking at trying to illuminate the landing gear...any thoughts there? I see that we both have the lighting bug pretty bad, huh
We both indeed love lighting :) how small it is the more the challenge of lightning it up. I think it makes the model come alive.

But for the engines yes drilling them out is fairly easy. I used 0.6mm drills and then scraped then out moving the drill up and down sideways.
The wires straight on is the better way I think it gives more easy access for getting them in the center. If your in the fuselage you can still sideways to the center.
Got the cockpit I drilled trenches for the fiber optics to go thru. As far as I checked now this will work.
To be honest I still have not giving it a good about of thought where to put the lights them self but it think it will be 1 in the low back part and one in the upper back part.
I was not planning on lightning up the landing gear because I wanted to build is flighting. And with the thought of the engines running and the lighting gear out I don't really see the logic. But I still can be done. Like just before takeoff or testing. But for the landing gear you thankfully have enough space in the lover hall.
Then I would go for indirect lighting that would look awesome.
I'll send a pic of the pre drilled trenches.
I'll follow you to so good luck crazy lighting freak ;)
e5a314f9ec12684ec4388ba3eb0ef0b8.jpg
e9f28a11922e271df3913362b8fa5f36.jpg

Looking great so far.
These Bandai kits don't lend themselves well to lighting coz of their construction.
I'm in the process of building and lighting an AT-ST at the moment and the amount of cutting I'm having to do is crazy.

I can imagine, it's challenging to be sure
Looking great so far.
These Bandai kits don't lend themselves well to lighting coz of their construction.
I'm in the process of building and lighting an AT-ST at the moment and the amount of cutting I'm having to do is crazy.

Yes, I think your routing for the engines makes more sense, thanks for the extra pics :thumbsup also, thanks for the pic of where to trench for the cockpit FO. I only got started on it sunday afternoon so there is much to figure out yet. as far as following me, not sure that's a good idea...I figured you for being more clever than myself so we'll have to keep one another informed on trial, error and success :thumbsup
We both indeed love lighting :) how small it is the more the challenge of lightning it up. I think it makes the model come alive.

But for the engines yes drilling them out is fairly easy. I used 0.6mm drills and then scraped then out moving the drill up and down sideways.
The wires straight on is the better way I think it gives more easy access for getting them in the center. If your in the fuselage you can still sideways to the center.
Got the cockpit I drilled trenches for the fiber optics to go thru. As far as I checked now this will work.
To be honest I still have not giving it a good about of thought where to put the lights them self but it think it will be 1 in the low back part and one in the upper back part.
I was not planning on lightning up the landing gear because I wanted to build is flighting. And with the thought of the engines running and the lighting gear out I don't really see the logic. But I still can be done. Like just before takeoff or testing. But for the landing gear you thankfully have enough space in the lover hall.
Then I would go for indirect lighting that would look awesome.
I'll send a pic of the pre drilled trenches.
I'll follow you to so good luck crazy lighting freak ;)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180205/e5a314f9ec12684ec4388ba3eb0ef0b8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180205/e9f28a11922e271df3913362b8fa5f36.jpg

Yes, I think your routing for the engines makes more sense, thanks for the extra pics :thumbsup also, thanks for the pic of where to trench for the cockpit FO. I only got started on it sunday afternoon so there is much to figure out yet. as far as following me, not sure that's a good idea...I figured you for being more clever than myself so we'll have to keep one another informed on trial, error and success :thumbsup
About being more clever? Not so sure I have not been doing this much so far.
But I'm determined to get it done no matter what :)

Sorry I'm from the Netherlands but what means FO? I have seen this before but have no idea of the meaning... LoL

Right now I'm fishing the night and camping, freezing my ass off but love it :)

LOL, sorry my friend...FO is fiber optics. Determination is a good thing, a very good thing. Especially when you do something you haven't done before, and a super good thing when you do something others thought wasn't possible or hadn't thought of :thumbsup
About being more clever? Not so sure I have not been doing this much so far.
But I'm determined to get it done no matter what :)

Sorry I'm from the Netherlands but what means FO? I have seen this before but have no idea of the meaning... LoL

Right now I'm fishing the night and camping, freezing my ass off but love it :)

LOL, sorry my friend...FO is fiber optics. Determination is a good thing, a very good thing. Especially when you do something you haven't done before, and a super good thing when you do something others thought wasn't possible or hadn't thought of :thumbsup
That's my thing doing things people say it's not possible :)... Dinner time now
0e899440f43135529d7e4f60035c31e2.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back