Nice-N Gold Leader to Gold 3 (MOM) Y-Wing Conversion

I'm honestly torn about that 8Rad detail. I see this image and it almost looks like I can see an outline of where it used to be, but then again I believe that the top and bottom were complete 1 piece casts with that detail already embedded in the cast. So I'm torn.
View attachment 762282

I hear you there - I always strive to make the model as it appeared "in its prime". In my case, I've removed that part because I can't spot it on any picture, including the circa 1977 photos that I've studied. I wonder if the model makers removed it from a casting before painting.

Mike, would you be interested in a couple of these?
20170929_120005.jpg

I've been working on the Ion cannons on top of the canopy this week, I received my Tamiya CBR400F and Flakvierling 38 kits and went to work. I would have to say that the CBR400F is a very close match to the original, but not exact. However, the differences are negligible. So I didn't hesitate to use this kit.
20170930_203154.jpg
What I found interesting is that in all the photos of the original it is the inside of the motorcycle strut that is facing out towards the observer, not the more detailed outside as seen below. I wonder why they chose to display the less detailed side? Weird!
20170930_203042.jpg
I was a little worried that after I put them on they would look too big or awkward compared to the original Bf-109 guns. I do not find that the case at all. They just look really mean.
20171001_082920.jpg20171001_083055.jpg20171001_090556.jpg

So whats the consensus here? Airfix 1/72 Heinkel He 177 strut or the Hurricane yoke? The picture is so grainy I can't tell.
Bottom Ketten.jpg

The MOM Y has a different tail shroud than the others. The horizontal piece does not incorporate the same Sea Lab scaffolding as Tie Killer, Triangles, or the Ladd Y. I was feeling lazy about it at first and thought maybe I would just leave the supplied parts, but I knew that I would regret it later. I have no idea whether or not it is part of a kit, but I just scratch built it from styrene sheet taking photos and reverse engineering them to get the scale right.
VEH_IA_200.jpgStar Wars - Gold Y-Wing (31).jpg

I thought perhaps the MOM incorporated the same leading edge flap looking part, but the angles were not right to keep it either. I was pretty excited about the result. It actually fit better than the Sea Lab part the kit came with.

20171003_173502.jpg20171003_184112.jpg20171003_182911.jpg

I believe this is the same as one engine on Red Jammer (after it was completed).

The MOM Y has a different tail shroud than the others. The horizontal piece does not incorporate the same Sea Lab scaffolding as Tie Killer, Triangles, or the Ladd Y. I was feeling lazy about it at first and thought maybe I would just leave the supplied parts, but I knew that I would regret it later. I have no idea whether or not it is part of a kit, but I just scratch built it from styrene sheet taking photos and reverse engineering them to get the scale right.
View attachment 763430View attachment 763429

I thought perhaps the MOM incorporated the same leading edge flap looking part, but the angles were not right to keep it either. I was pretty excited about the result. It actually fit better than the Sea Lab part the kit came with.

View attachment 763431View attachment 763433View attachment 763432

I put a small metal plate on the underside of the canopy so the cannons can attach using a magnet. This way I can swap them out whenever I want and don't have to decide between the original Bf-109 or the more recent version of the ion cannons. Don't mind my messy canopy. It will get cleaned up. :D
20171005_133645.jpg20171005_133715.jpg

One thing (slightly related) that I recently noticed was that the Y-wings in the Rebels series must have been based on reference of this Y, as the Ion guns look similar to the bike forks :)

y-wing-2_b47c5d3a.jpeg

I put a small metal plate on the underside of the canopy so the cannons can attach using a magnet. This way I can swap them out whenever I want and don't have to decide between the original Bf-109 or the more recent version of the ion cannons. Don't mind my messy canopy. It will get cleaned up. :D
View attachment 763911View attachment 763912

One thing (slightly related) that I recently noticed was that the Y-wings in the Rebels series must have been based on reference of this Y, as the Ion guns look similar to the bike forks :)

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/y-wing-2_b47c5d3a.jpeg?region=0,0,800,450
I believe it's still hanging out in the Lucasfilm archive. I've seen a couple of glimpses of it on a couple of videos. I don't know how old the video with the Don Beaz walk through is, but she looks decent. Then I saw a glimpse of it on the Blu-ray fly through with missing nacelle strut.
d805ad1d8e8b418b847057a932345865.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've been working on the Ion cannons on top of the canopy this week, I received my Tamiya CBR400F and Flakvierling 38 kits and went to work. I would have to say that the CBR400F is a very close match to the original, but not exact. However, the differences are negligible. So I didn't hesitate to use this kit.

Oh I´m sorry for the wrong ID, I was convinced it was correct... :( I guess the other motorcycle is the correct donor then. Great progress nonetheless! :thumbsup Definately my favourite Y.

Oh I´m sorry for the wrong ID, I was convinced it was correct... :( I guess the other motorcycle is the correct donor then. Great progress nonetheless! :thumbsup Definately my favourite Y.
Sorry Darth I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were wrong. I was just saying that the current version of the part has minut differences from the original. Not enough for me to care though. Thanks for the ID

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back