Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Hi Dan.
Not my intention to criticize your work.
Just giving my point of view of what i think would be the correct tweaking to have a closer shape to the original.
Emitter a bit taller, neck part below windvane taller and upper neck part slightly shorter. Can be few milimeters but every mm counts when we go for that kind of accuracy.
Hope the graphic is be clear enough. The 2 pics on the right are tweaked by me. One have drawings to illustrate what i changed.
You can overlay in PS left (tweaked) and right (yours) to see the exact differences.

View attachment 732433
Those revisions look great to my eye.

Trooper_trent
I can imagine what a nightmare job it is to make. Therefore I thank you for what you did with your last runs and at a so cheap price. Well done

Envoyé de mon PLK-L01 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to poo-poo it outright, but I'm not for the modular V2 system. It's a good idea on its own right but for another and different kind of run. The modular system for Starkiller's V2 run kinda deflates the point of the replica in the first place: it being a facsimile of the original prop. If there's another run, keep it 3 pieces. The only 4-piece saber I'd been keen on is if the nipple was a separate piece, too.

The only reason I came up with the modular system was because I'm very happy with my run1 V2.

Dan said he thought of running parts which would require cutting up the saber. I won't want to cut up my run1

I understand where your coming from though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not 100%, but to be honest, I'm actually pleased with how close to accurate mine is after seeing the picture. Granted I'm not as hardcore as many here, but still you have to admit, given the info we had before it's a pretty decent replica.

Those revisions look great to my eye.

I concur.

As long as we're offering constructive critique, I'll add that the pommel cubes on the original look to be longer to me. (I'm not sure if that was addressed in the new model or not.) And the negative space between the cubes looks deeper, closer to meeting the cylindrical surface of the pommel than the more obvious step on the replica.

It's not 100%, but to be honest, I'm actually pleased with how close to accurate mine is after seeing the picture. Granted I'm not as hardcore as many here, but still you have to admit, given the info we had before it's a pretty decent replica.

And yes, there's no one that isn't enamoured with their Starkiller V2 replica. But any time never before seen images come to light you can bet we will scrutinize the heck out of them and enjoy every minute of it. It's what we do. :)

Last edited:
I concur.

As long as we're offering constructive critique, I'll add that the pommel cubes on the original look to be longer to me. (I'm not sure if that was addressed in the new model or not.) And the negative space between the cubes looks deeper, closer to meeting the cylindrical surface of the pommel than the more obvious step on the replica.
I agree with both of those assessments too.

I've said this before, & I'll say it again.... the Starkiller v2 - with EITHER 1st or 2nd run - is a masterpiece. I mean, seriously, is there anyone who likes their 1st run v2 any less because the 2nd run happened? Is it exactly identical to the one used on screen? No. But great googlie is it insanely close.
Yet, look at what we've learned in the meantime. & with every try, we learn more. If I was on the RPF when the 1st run took place, I would've been all over it, & I still would've jump on the 2nd run. His 2nd run was the first time I was brave enough to paint, drill & tap, weather, & more to anything like this. Everything else, I just bought. But with this, I learned I CAN do it. ME! & I also found so many truly great people here, on the RPF, who were so amazing with their kindness & support during the build. So if, IF, Dan does a 3rd run? My name will be on the sign up list, cause now I know I can do even better. & if not, well then I've got one hell of a great saber, that I built.
I'll get off the soapbox now.

Can I barrow your soapbox? The unibody was so perfect for me. I didn't have a lot of experience, and it really lent itself to paint and weathering. On top of that, I found the RPF just as the project runs for the unibody and the shared stunt v3 were wrapping up, and Roman released the Graflex replica. Talk about fate. I jumped on all three and I didn't even have to wait that long for all of them. I feel like my saber collection is quite nice now, to say the least. Before that I was just a pretty good vintage Star Wars toy collector and basic model builder. Thanks to everyone for being awesome. (pics are in my public album)

Last edited:
Thanks so much everybody for all your support and for all of the constructive feedback. I've been working on this prop for over a decade and so this is a very exciting time for me. Im really chuffed to see how close we got with the earlier runs. And also I'm really kean to see what improvements can be made to get us that much closer. The feedback is great. And as you can see, I'm making a whole bunch of new 3d models to try to get all the details dead on. But Im also excited to see that nearly all the dimensions of the last few runs are within a mm or so of the original prop.

My plan right now is to do a new run at the end of the summer with all the new info we've been given. And at that time to also offer upgrade parts for all the people who got in on my previous runs.

Im also working on that mystery chunk. Trying to find a shop that can replicate the knurling on the top of it. ;)

I've said this before, & I'll say it again.... the Starkiller v2 - with EITHER 1st or 2nd run - is a masterpiece. I mean, seriously, is there anyone who likes their 1st run v2 any less because the 2nd run happened? Is it exactly identical to the one used on screen? No. But great googlie is it insanely close.
Yet, look at what we've learned in the meantime. & with every try, we learn more. If I was on the RPF when the 1st run took place, I would've been all over it, & I still would've jump on the 2nd run. His 2nd run was the first time I was brave enough to paint, drill & tap, weather, & more to anything like this. Everything else, I just bought. But with this, I learned I CAN do it. ME! & I also found so many truly great people here, on the RPF, who were so amazing with their kindness & support during the build. So if, IF, Dan does a 3rd run? My name will be on the sign up list, cause now I know I can do even better. & if not, well then I've got one hell of a great saber, that I built.
I'll get off the soapbox now.

For the record I love my run1 Starkiller V2. It's my all time favorite saber and my prized possession :)

But if I had the funds at the time I would have jumped on run 2 and even the unibody run. I just love the starkillers V2 that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im also working on that mystery chunk. Trying to find a shop that can replicate the knurling on the top of it. ;)

That can replicate the what on the what now? :confused :lol

Well that's really cool to hear but I'm surprised you wanna do another run, a fourth run of the same saber, so soon. :eek

Also I'm just thinking, if you were to do another three piece run, AND offer upgrades for previous runs, how many people with previous run sabers would opt to forego the upgraded parts and just get in on the new run instead?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back