Jurassic Park Explorer Control Panel

Rymo

Sr Member
I recently came across this on an auction site, and it's the first I've seen of this particular piece. It's a control panel that was apparently custom made and used as set dressing in the Jurassic Park Ford Explorer tour vehicle interior, although I don't recall seeing any shots of it in the film itself. Dimensions are listed as 5.5" x 5.5".

Is anyone familiar with this piece, or has anyone tried to replicate it?

jurassic-park-explorer-control-panel-jpexplorercontrolpanel.jpg-150498d1363707145

Last edited:
Good News Everyone! I have been working on making a 3d model for the past couple of months now and am almost done! It will be on shapeways once I finish it. I got a build thread over on the Jurassicparkjeep.com to see updates. This also may become my second build thread for this little guy. But heres what I've worked on! This was made with the given info from the auction and referenced from the photo given from the auction. The panel measures "5.5 x "5.5 inches. Build on my friends!
Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 4.45.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-07-06 at 6.58.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 8.43.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-07-21 at 3.26.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 8.06.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-26 at 3.45.27 PM.png

Good News Everyone! I have been working on making a 3d model for the past couple of months now and am almost done! It will be on shapeways once I finish it. I got a build thread over on the Jurassicparkjeep.com to see updates. This also may become my second build thread for this little guy. But heres what I've worked on! This was made with the given info from the auction and referenced from the photo given from the auction. The panel measures "5.5 x "5.5 inches. Build on my friends!
View attachment 411330View attachment 411329
View attachment 411332View attachment 411333
View attachment 411334View attachment 411335

Very cool! Great job!

All righty, I have now finished the panel, which means its time for me to order a test piece to see if all the details on it come out alright. But here you guys, girls, and raptors go, one Complete Jurassic Park Explorer Control Panel! Hope you all enjoy!
Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.49.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.25.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.24.53 PM.png

Need some input on the model since I've made some slight modifications to it. Do you think that the AC Knob diameter on my model is a little small compared to the actual AC knod on the prop? FEEL FREE TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS ON IMPROVING THE MODEL! Thanks!
Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.00.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.00.14 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
NathansPROPS, looking at them side-by-side, they looked OK, but overlaying your 3D model on top of the real control panel shows that your knob is significantly undersized.

-MJ

Attachments

• control.jpg
    control.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 232
I was wondering that too @Grey and @halliwax until Cyrix9445 showed me this photo of the panel in the car. You don't ever see it in the movie, but its there.
ex2-1.jpg
@Mike J. thank you for overlaying my model on top of the actual panel. I see and I was wondering if you could do the same for this photo. In the photo the panel is basically the same but the knob I modeled is larger. Thanks so much for the help guys!
Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 7.49.44 PM.png

Last edited:
I was wondering where the panel was.

The new know looks right on the money, though I will note that the position of the arrows is off, and it looks like your left-to-right dividing line is a little bit too 'south' (red circle).

-MJ

Attachments

• controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 198
Thank you for sharing. My friend is a huge explorer fan and didn't know where the heck it was in the explorer, we both appreciate it

Your all very welcome! I too am a huge Explorer FAN! Mike J. thanks again for overlaying my model for me, though trying to line up my model to the right angle that the actual panel in the photo is going to be difficult. I tried to get it to the right angle in the photo below, but I have my doubts. Last try with the over laying? Thanks
Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 1.00.01 PM.png

Do we know where that control panel came out of, I've own fords all my life. All my family has, uncle aunts cousins ect. I'm a die hard ford guy and I've never seen that panel!?

Still looks off when I overlay it. Would this adjusted picture of the panel help? It does assume it is perfectly square.

-MJ

Attachments

• panela.jpg
    panela.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 202
  • panelb.jpg
    panelb.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 194
Do we know where that control panel came out of, I've own fords all my life. All my family has, uncle aunts cousins ect. I'm a die hard ford guy and I've never seen that panel!?
This is the description from the Auction. (Universal, 1993) This prop control panel was custom made by the production for use as set dressing within the Ford Explorer interior. The panel features fake buttons for various functions inside the Explorer. Measures 5.5" x 5.5" and made of solid resin.

Still looks off when I overlay it. Would this adjusted picture of the panel help? It does assume it is perfectly square.

-MJ
Hey man Thanks, I was thinking about doing that... just really never got around to it. I will try to match up the fan arrows to the original ones. Thank you so much for helping me with the model, I really do appreciate it!

This is the description from the Auction. (Universal, 1993) This prop control panel was custom made by the production for use as set dressing within the Ford Explorer interior. The panel features fake buttons for various functions inside the Explorer. Measures 5.5" x 5.5" and made of solid resin.

very cool, thanks for sharing that!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back