Movie "heroes" who are actually low-life scum. Why do we watch them?

But remember, Walt's friend offered to pay for all of Walt's treatments for free with no payback. Walt refused because of some damn foolistic male pride crap. Then he turned to cooking meth to pay the bills and provide. To me, that does indeed in fact make him a bad guy. He actually had no reason to turn to crime. Granted, the medical bills being paid wouldn't take care of his family once he was gone, but still not really a reason to absolutely destroy God knows how many lives. Not just the people actually seen on the show who died because of it, but the thousands of people whose lives would have been ruined by the drugs he made. Crystal meth is some really REALLY REALLY bad stuff!!
I disagree with that. If I remember correctly, his friend got rich off of his contributions to the company. I didnt see him as a bad guy, yes he did bad things, the worst threatening to poison the kid, but he was always remorseful. None of the nerds here have ever wanted to switch the roles and be the one that is powerful, in charge, respected, and feared? Cmon. Not only that, but he made something that nobody else had done. Yes, of course, dealing drugs, especially meth, is bad. Killing people is bad. But thats why its entertainment. I was rooting for WW the entire time, I knew how it was going to end, but I was still bummed when it did. Nobody cheered in the early episodes when he made that guys car explode after he was a jerk at the car wash? When he had his ace up his sleeve and threw that bomb at Tucos office? When he blew up Gus Fring? Glorious. While meth is bad, if the people wanted it, they would have got it regardless of if it was Walters or not. I have no sympathy for drug users at all. Nobody has a gun to your head making you do it. Its a choice, and a bad one. Notice how Walt never sampled any of his product? Did Jesse?

And oh my god I hated Walt Jr, every time they put him on screen I groaned. I think he was second to skylar on the annoying scale. :lol

I was sad when King Kong and Jaws died in their respective movies when I was a kid.

I consider that self-defense. Greedo was going to kill him.
:angry

Well he's also a smuggler whose professional ethics have been drawn into question on several occasions. Not to mention the fact that, in ESB, he's overtly hitting on Leia which, at the time, was still the girl Luke had a crush on.

So there.

Well, aslo, in the case of breaking bad, it helped that it was tremendously acted and well written, and perfectly executed. It was high quality entertainment !
I mean, just look at this scene, it was just phenomenal :
And I've not seen the Sopranos, but my understanding is that is is a very well made series as well. So IMO, it's not only a question a liking bad guys, it's also how it's presented to us.
And maybe because one in a while, it's refreshing to follow a bad guy, and not another "hero"... Must be a reason why most main characters today have usually a darker edge somewhere, flaws...

Last edited by a moderator:
After the end of that episode, what happened? The beginning of the next one they are all hiding out at Hank's house, but I never really caught why. Somehow Walt made out that there were threats on Hank or something? Seems like it skipped a little, I didn't really catch what happened.

Because it's more fun than playing stock broker or an accountant.

IMG_5566.JPG

I say it's escape-ism. We all live "boring" lives, watching these low-life scum do their thing is a way to escape all this for a moment. Whether it be playing cowboys and aliens :p watching a movie/tv show or play a video game.

Like @JLeezy23 said, we are messed up.

So why do we want to be entertained by watching horrible people do horrible things? Don't get me wrong, I like watching it too, but even as a kid I remember thinking "Why are we playing army, or cops and robbers, or cowboys and Indians? All we are doing is playing 'let's kill each other'."

It must really say something about the human condition.

"It is in your nature to destroy yourselves"

Then there's Han Solo. 'Cause he shot first.

Correction, Han was the only one who shot ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Because watching a movie about perfectly virtuous, upstanding, unflawed protagonists would be about as interesting as playing dominoes with your grandmother's Bible study group?

How about John Wick? He was the protagonist of the movie, but he was a retired assassin who gets revenge for his dog.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Conflict = quality entertainment (at least the possibility of quality)

if the main character is scum, there's never any lack of conflict

I like it when Elliott Ness is the protagonist and the gangsters are the bad guys. When the gangsters are the main characters and presented as sympathetic I have no interest.

I like it when Elliott Ness is the protagonist and the gangsters are the bad guys. When the gangsters are the main characters and presented as sympathetic I have no interest.
Yes, exactly..like Rooster Cogburn said ( in the Original Wayne movie) "Ya' can't serve papers on a Rat sister, ya' gotta' kill him, or let him be " ! !

:angry

Well he's also a smuggler whose professional ethics have been drawn into question on several occasions. Not to mention the fact that, in ESB, he's overtly hitting on Leia which, at the time, was still the girl Luke had a crush on.

So there.
Yup, Han hitting on Luke's sister definitely makes Han the Villian. Luke's an incestuous hero !

J/k

:)

Okay, how about this?

Your kid says "Mommy, we are going to go outside and play Army." (I'm just using old school examples, I have no idea what kids play today). Mom says "Okay, you kids have fun!"

or

"Mommy, we are going outside and pretend to kill people!"....What does Mommy say to that?
LOL, that was the norm back in my day.

Today kids are discouraged from such behavior yet kids are more violent than ever (school shootings being an example).

Coincidence?

How about John Wick? He was the protagonist of the movie, but he was a retired assassin who gets revenge for his dog.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Chad Stahelski has already said John is not a good guy and don’t expect this to end well for him

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back