Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters

So what they failed to mention in this video, probably intentionally, was that at the last minute, Johnson took this moment away from Luke and handed it to Rey to artificially inject some much needed gravitas (see what I did there) to Rey`s shallow character. It backfired badly. There`s no way this guy will be able to pull off a complete new trilogy with any credibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think LFL or Disney even thinks Rian damaged the OT characters. I think many fans might feel the same

Fans of what? The OT?, cause just looking here, I would disagree. TLJ made money 3 ways.

1) The oblivious crowd, who has no clue how Star Wars was created or what the base of GL's vision, but just wanted to say they saw SW

2) The dire straight fan, who wanted a redemption from TFA, who wanted to expand and continue, what TFA introduced and left unanswered.

3) The ones who saw all the bad reviews and went see it out of curiosity.

... of course, there are the vocal minority that are going to hate it and will make nonsensical arguments against it (seriously - ripping off Harry Potter? Where did Artoo get a map? :wacko ); There are plenty of real, solid arguments against the film

Yes and Yes

and just about any other movie, too. It's okay to not like a movie - there are plenty out there that many like,

No other SW movie has been made, that claims to be a continuation of the OT, so this is what we have, for all of us.

that I don't; just please = make your arguments better.

I found TLJ to be a superior film over TFA in many ways - and I think history will treat this film well, just as it has ESB.

Admission is the first step to a better understanding the cure.:wacko And I think this thread gives "the best of the best" arguments on both sides.

Just the fact that Disney developed a new trilogy without any overarching storyline blows my mind. What's the point of a story group? Have they learned nothing just from sitting down and watching the OT? Each film has an epic standalone story that serves the plot of the entire trilogy. Why put so much faith in Rian and just give him carte blanche to write whatever he feels, regardless of the setup in TFA? Even a detail like Finn getting sliced up his backbone with a lightsaber, and being right as rain 15 hours later is simply ludicrous. I would say that watching TFA and TLJ back to back is going to be painful, but I doubt I will ever watch them again. TLJ because it's just that bad, and TFA because the mystique it created no longer exists. A search for Luke, that leads nowhere.

What's the epic showdown in IX... Rey vs Kylo? Yawn, been there twice. Kylo or Rey turning? No emotional impact because we've had two films with no development, that covered like 6 days total. The First Order having a third superweapon up their sleeve? I hope they feel comfortable taking it out of drydock when every garbage transport in the galaxy has a hyperdrive and the whole galaxy has heard about the Supremacy getting chumped out.

have they specifically said it's a trilogy? I was thinking that the new plan was to just keep cranking them out every other year until the well runs dry.

have they specifically said it's a trilogy? I was thinking that the new plan was to just keep cranking them out every other year until the well runs dry.

Well labeling it as StarWars ep VII-VIII, leads me to believe it will be another trilogy. Of course, since they dont like to stay on track... they might skip to X.. then go to XV. then back to XII..then jump to IX. And mess us all up,:lol

Dont pay it a second thought. The article below, which I only just became aware of more than ever, if it gets the traction it deserves, cements for me that Rian Johnson will never again be involved in any future Star Wars related productions. I strongly urge people on both sides of the fence to read it.

http://scavengersholocron.com/category/home/something-you-should-know-about-the-last-jedi/

Im waiting patiently, to hear (or read) the answer to these 2 questions.

What is the epic showdown??

Rey vs. Kylo and FO vs. Resistance plus what ever is left of the Republic.

I guess you disliked seeing Rebellion Vs. Empire and Luke vs. vader more than once in the OT?

If you don't want to see this, fine, that is your opinion but people need to stop acting like there is NOTHING for the 3rd act.

Dont pay it a second thought. The article below, which I only just became aware of more than ever, if it gets the traction it deserves, cements for me that Rian Johnson will never again be involved in any future Star Wars related productions. I strongly urge people on both sides of the fence to read it.

http://scavengersholocron.com/category/home/something-you-should-know-about-the-last-jedi/

We all know that Johnson, had no idea. And for anyone to say he was a connoisseur of SW, is just fooling themselves. We have more connoisseur's here in theRPF, then seems Rian's whole team. He directed/wrote a story, put cool s#!t in it, got Disney's approval, then filmed it.

Im not concerned how much money it made. As I mentioned above why it made money... If these "new" SW fans, are now, all of a sudden, really into SW and they should ever decide to watch Ep 1-9, I truly believe, after 6, they will question.

So its like The Walking dead, small groups punching each other.

I guess you disliked seeing Rebellion Vs. Empire and Luke vs. vader more than once in the OT?

What??.. Is there even a comparison? Are you actually comparing The Empire/Vadar/Luke/Obiwan/Yoda, to Kylo/Rey/FO/Resistance?

If you don't want to see this, fine, that is your opinion but people need to stop acting like there is NOTHING for the 3rd act.

I agree, there are many things. I will watch it, hoping that maybe, there will be a character I will want to be, in the next SW game.

I know I might sound weird, but if there were a game made out of this 2 part movie, who would my character be?

Im not concerned how much money it made. As I mentioned above why it made money... If these "new" SW fans, are now, all of a sudden, really into SW and they should ever decide to watch Ep 1-9, I truly believe, after 6, they will question.

I think this franchise especially, has a unique history of fandom, that has, & will continue to evolve, based on how we've seen it grow this far.

People my age have a relationship with the OT, cause that's ALL we had for two decades basically. You wanted a SW fix, you had three choices, & for a lot of people there wasn't a way to just pop one in whenever. To see them was almost mythical itself.

Then fans my kids age, in their twenties, they could pretty much see the OT whenever & had. That made the PT special for them, cause they were our ages when the OT came out. I know my son & most of his friends love SW, but they've seen the prequels a lot more than they've seen the OT. Either way, once they were done, that's it. As far as any of us knew there was no more on the horizon, so we ALL watched these six over & over.

Now there's 'new' fans, that are pretty much assured a new SW film every year for the foreseeable future. I'd guarantee SW will continue, but it'll never be what it was to previous generations, but that's not necessarily going to be story related, but instead more about the sheer volume of product. It's just a social change.

I LOVE the MARVEL films, & own them all, but I'd bet I'll never see any of them as much as I've seen Raimi's Spider-Man, or Burton's Batman, or Donner's Superman. Those films were special, cause they were all I had.

I think this franchise especially, has a unique history of fandom, that has, & will continue to evolve, based on how we've seen it grow this far.

People my age have a relationship with the OT, cause that's ALL we had for two decades basically. You wanted a SW fix, you had three choices, & for a lot of people there wasn't a way to just pop one in whenever. To see them was almost mythical itself.

No, we had books, softbacks, and what I loved the most, games.

Then fans my kids age, in their twenties, they could pretty much see the OT whenever & had. That made the PT special for them, cause they were our ages when the OT came out. I know my son & most of his friends love SW, but they've seen the prequels a lot more than they've seen the OT. Either way, once they were done, that's it. As far as any of us knew there was no more on the horizon, so we ALL watched these six over & over.

Because as bad as, some people thought the PT was, I actually liked it, and the games in the middle followed.

Now there's 'new' fans, that are pretty much assured a new SW film every year for the foreseeable future. I'd guarantee SW will continue, but it'll never be what it was to previous generations, but that's not necessarily going to be story related, but instead more about the sheer volume of product. It's just a social change.

Our kids, when they were 2, now in their 20's, but when younger, liked the PT. And could continue watching , all the way through 6. I just cant see the same for this. They will not understand Anakin, Vadar, Luke, Obiwan. They will just have to start from TFA.

And I have no problem with that. Just dont call it Ep VII, or VIII, or IX. Just do a spin off.

I actually enjoy the new Star Treks. And they didnt have to call it Star Trek XI, XII, XIII. They just came up with a new story.. a different path. And go from there, so I just accepted it as a new Star Trek. But to imply this new SW trilogy as a "continuation" of the old. IDK.. just hard to figure out.

I LOVE the MARVEL films, & own them all, but I'd bet I'll never see any of them as much as I've seen Raimi's Spider-Man, or Burton's Batman, or Donner's Superman. Those films were special, cause they were all I had.

And the remakes followed the path..

No, we had books, softbacks, and what I loved the most, games.

Because as bad as, some people thought the PT was, I actually liked it, and the games in the middle followed.

Our kids, when they were 2, now in their 20's, but when younger, liked the PT. And could continue watching , all the way through 6. I just cant see the same for this. They will not understand Anakin, Vadar, Luke, Obiwan. They will just have to start from TFA.

And I have no problem with that. Just dont call it Ep VII, or VIII, or IX. Just do a spin off.

I actually enjoy the new Star Treks. And they didnt have to call it Star Trek XI, XII, XIII. They just came up with a new story.. a different path. And go from there, so I just accepted it as a new Star Trek. But to imply this new SW trilogy as a "continuation" of the old. IDK.. just hard to figure out.

And the remakes followed the path..

Man... If not for differing opinions on this film, I think we'd get on GREAT.

I think your feelings on ST Vs SW are interesting. JJ has 'ruined' ST in some people's opinion, by doing exactly what you've appreciated about the new films. I think if he'd done something similar with SW, there'd be the same outcry, that this isn't OUR SW,& people would still want to know what happend to the OT characters. The fact those characters stories are wrapping up makes it a continuation, even if some fans don't like where the characters ended up.

Love the movie or hate the movie,TLJ is some if not the best of Disney’s brainwashing DarthLee some of the SW games were the best,KOTOR was a fountain of knowledge for fans who played it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fans of what? The OT?, cause just looking here, I would disagree. TLJ made money 3 ways.

1) The oblivious crowd, who has no clue how Star Wars was created or what the base of GL's vision, but just wanted to say they saw SW

2) The dire straight fan, who wanted a redemption from TFA, who wanted to expand and continue, what TFA introduced and left unanswered.

3) The ones who saw all the bad reviews and went see it out of curiosity.

Yes and Yes

No other SW movie has been made, that claims to be a continuation of the OT, so this is what we have, for all of us.

Admission is the first step to a better understanding the cure.:wacko And I think this thread gives "the best of the best" arguments on both sides.

I'd tell you that you're wrong, but I think you already know that. :lol

I havent read any of the fan made stuff but now that Johnson has been exposed taking ideas from fan made material, I guess the question of whether there is a third act or not will probably be found right there.

Last edited:
Had Rian delivered a film that somehow damaged the new characters of Rey, Fin, Poe, and Kylo that would also have set alarm bells off. As it is, people having the most difficulty with Luke aren’t the base these films are catering to.
As you so often say this is purely subjective. I happen to think it did damage the mew characters, I really liked them after TFA, now I’m just not really interested in what Poe “reduced to a secret a-hole plot device” and Finn “bumbling sidekick to new character Rose” will do. Even Rey became kinda moot now, there’s no doubt, internal struggle in her by the end of this.

The reason the film has done so well is because of TFA, before that Star Wars had lost it's way,....now everyone was onboard to see a sequel

The critical response has also helped,...for the general audience,....but the fans are divided, that's not what Disney wants,...they want EVERYONE to love it
J
This. Nightmare on Elm Street 2 did not make more money than part 1 at the box coz it was a superior movie. It was a huge turd but part 1 was a major hit and part 2’s marketing could be built upon that.
Then after part 2 was panned by critics (even if it made a ton of dough) the studio went back to Wes Craven, Heather Langenkamp amd tried to recapture some of part 1 to get people back in.

Never really considered the ram- ifications of this . Wondering how future directors will ‘ handle ‘ this new technique - Manoeuvre of Mass destruction in their films ? Seems battles in space within the SW verse just got a whole lot trickier . Unless they take place in parts of it where it’s never been heard of , nor discussed ( doubtful ) , or prior to this episode taking place .
I think it’s just gonna be ignored like Khan’s magic blood after Star Trek Into Darkness. I personally wasn’t that much against the idea. In real life you can use an aircraft carrier to ram into another ship or shipyard but usually these ships are put to better use.

It's okay to not like a movie - there are plenty out there that many like, that I don't; just please = make your arguments better.

I'd tell you that you're wrong, but I think you already know that. :lol

Gotcha. Like this, right? ;-)

No people need to stop exaggerating other people’s arguments or reasons so that it would look comically incorrect.
Nobody is saying there is literally nothing left for ep9 but character sitting and looking around awkwardly. What people actually say and mean is that there is nothing interesting, original, exciting and new is being set up in TLJ where ep9 could grow and pay off other than what you mentioned FO&Resistance. No character points left hanging, no emotional drama that needs resolving, same old stuff again but only less. Remember, how many unresolved things were left at the end of Empire? Or even Clones. And TLJ is the movie that everyone, makers amd fans praise as the movie that’s original, unexpected and breaks bew ground. That is what people mean by that.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back