Harry Potter- Hogwarts Trunk

decat

So I got this suitcase at an op-shop for only $12:

IMG_7690.JPG

And I'd like to make it look more like a Hogwarts trunk. The main thing would be to add two more bands around the middle. I'm not sure whether to keep it this colour or paint/stain it brown. I'd like to hear what people think, and any suggestion you have!

Post a pic of your reference image - I'd love to see what your replicating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, decat! Nice find. Great price!

If I'd found that case, I would paint it two-toned brown or brown and beige; something along those lines. Yes, I would also try to add a few bands if you can think of a way to do it. Then I would give it a distress wash of paint and add itinials and a few Howarts-related stickers.
Then, of course, there is all the fun of filling it up!

I do hope your post what decisions you end up making on it. What a lovely project! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic! The trunks/suitcases are amongst my favorite of all the Potter props. There were a lot of different kinds of trunks used. Personally, even if you decided to not add any bands to it and just repainted it and added the Hogwarts logo, that would be awesome already!

Here's a pic of the trunk in my collection:

r4t07j2.jpg

some references I've saved. Have a few more, i can upload them if you want.

WsVovLl.jpg

E4oeLXK.jpg

JjeqfhT.jpg

Lx6vFJK.png

ZKtqSmf.png

WyRem2D.jpg

ehX0wb7.png

lXFRNFW.png

Last edited:
Congrats!! I think it looks perfect. The natural weathering/aging only makes it look more authentic :D Makes a great display doesnt it?!

ECL, your crest looks great! Is there a template for it out there somewhere?

Thanks! I'd have to say the trunk is my favorite Potter piece I own. For the crest on mine, I ran across a pretty decent head on shot of a crest on an original trunk. I then brought it into photoshop and was able to create a couple of files which I then used to create stencils (hand cut with an exacto knife, but the results were worth it). As for the sizing, I just estimated it based on references, but it should be easy to resize these files as fit.

crest3.jpgcrest2.jpgcrest1.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back