Sherlock Holmes (Granada/Brett) props

bluecarbuncle01.jpgbluecarbuncle02.jpg

I received my Blue Carbuncles today. It took about an hour to remove the paint and foil backing from the rhinestone. It's hard to say how big the original is. Given Jeremy Brett's height (at least 6' 1") and accounting for hand size (my hands are a poor model in this case as they are a bit more 'sausage-like' than the late Mr. Brett's) I'd say the 30mm x 20mm is pretty close. This was also the largest rhinestone I could find in this shape and cut. It photographs beautifully. Lighting is everything I suppose. I have a bunch more of these if anyone wants them. I'll probably post them in the junkyard.

Nice finds! The carbunkle looks great and the Napoleon bust is a good find too, it's just a shame it can't be found in the correct size in plaster (I've also searched intermittently).

Thanks, ob1al. The Carbuncle rhinestones were an eBay find, the seller is 'wfashion852'. Apparently it's a pretty common item, the color I chose was 'mid-sapphire'. The seller of the Napoleon bust is located in France. I've asked them about a possibly larger version in existence and they mentioned they will keep an eye out. If nothing else, I will use the bust as a re-sculpt master. It's a small enough prop to invest in a silicone mold, and of course plaster is cheap. Would be nice to pick up a black pearl and wedge it into the bottom. And then smack it with a hammer...

Any other suggestions or requests for the Granada series props? I'd personally like to have everything, however it's much more motivating when I can contribute to the rest of the fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and by the way those 1/6 scale figures are absolutely outstanding. Do you have casts for the heads, accessories, etc.? I'd be interested in a set.

I'd be very intersted in a Napoleon bust. I couldn't fine an affordable one online anywhere after searching the internet for hours. My collection is currently mostly in boxes since I am studying/working way to much and I barely have space for it, but I'm hoping to get more room in the next few years.

That's good to hear. As soon as I receive my Napoleon bust, I will post pictures, info, etc. and I will start straight away on the re-sculpt.

You know on second thought, maybe I should just hire a 3D printer to scan the statue and print it at twice the size. Has anyone had any experience with a 3D printer?

Can't claim to know much about it, but I found this similar one in my travels. It's of Irish manufacture.

Attachments

• churchwarden.jpg
    churchwarden.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 409
I have personally been trying to figure out for a long time precisely what this mirrored object is on the Holmes mantelpiece:

mantelthing.png

RobbyR,Brett's intention was to film every story in the canon - but his heart problems caught up with him before every episode was complete. Sad but it's amazing that Brett and crew amanged to bring to life so much of Conan Doyle's works, so beautifully.
Project "Granada" (primary) custom 1/6 scale figures 80% complete. Watson currently without cap or shoes. Lots of 'futzing' and fine tuning to do, still.

Considering making Eric Porter as Moriarty and Rosalie Williams as Mrs Hudson next. It might possibly be the worlds first 1/6 incarnations of those characters?

View attachment 282335

@oba1al Oh my. These are fantastic! Have you ever thought of doing a run of these, either as kits or fully built on commission?

Last edited:
That's a cast-iron vanity or shaving mirror. There are many similar ones, but finding a twin to that one may well be a challenge.

Oh, excellent! I did some searches for "shaving mirror" that are turning up stuff much closer than what I've found in the past. Thanks for the tip--the search continues!

il_340x270.628923695_21o5.jpg

I did a google search for "cast iron vanity mirror" and this popped up. My guess is it was an item that was sold on Etsy. I'm pretty sure it's a match.

f6d7111f1631585e5a832acc7ab62773.jpg

It was actually sold on eBay as "Antique Medeival Crown Shaving Mirror".

Last edited:
knight crown mirror.jpg

Here is another, also sold on eBay as "Sword and Flag Knight Mirror". This one appears to be in brass...

- - - Updated - - -

Can't claim to know much about it, but I found this similar one in my travels. It's of Irish manufacture.

That is a nice pipe. Do you know the manufacturer?

Last edited:
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Here is my mini Napoleon bust, which finally arrived in the mail today. Again the sculpt is exact, however it's only 3 inches tall.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 287
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 194
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 253
View attachment 372430

Here is another, also sold on eBay as "Sword and Flag Knight Mirror". This one appears to be in brass...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, yes, I saw those and will be trying to source one from some local antiques dealers. Living here in Boston fortunately gives me access to quite a few. I'll post here if I'm ever able to find one or more. :)

I just came across this thread now. Yeah what a fantastic series this was. I agree. The best Sherlock Holmes made to date. I watched them all with my father when I was in elementary school. The acting by Jeremy Brett was superb. I'm glad to see you guys finding matching props.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back