November 1955 Hill Valley Telegraph newspaper from Back to the Future

DB537

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This newspaper was custom printed for the production for use by Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly.
The newspaper is the style that Marty pulls out of the trash and reads the date "November 5, 1955".

This paper was printed with the date "November 4, 1955" and may have been the paper that is used on
set and another with the correct date was used for the close-up insert shot showing the date on screen.
Every other detail is the same as seen on screen including the "Statler Motors" ad on the back page.

I have replaced the broken Photobucket image links due to their extortionate business practices.

The first 2 photos show the newspaper when I sent it to be professionally scanned and the high
resolution images digitally restored for the replica newspapers that I had printed in 2013 and 2015.
The other photos are my own personal photos of the newspaper after I received it in November 2012.

Hill-Valley-Telegraph-back.jpgHill-Valley-Telegraph---front.jpg

IMG_0089A.pngIMG_0090a.png

IMG_0054.JPG

Last edited:
... The newspaper is the style that Marty pulls out of the trash and reads the date "November 5, 1955". However this paper was printed with the date "November 4, 1955" and may have been the paper that is used on set and another with the correct date was used for the close-up insert shot showing the date on screen. ...

Another one with the correct date was sold last year on "Profiles in History".

catalog-huge-bttf-prop-auction-posted-21604_0812_1_lg.jpg-75594d1322018044

catalog-huge-bttf-prop-auction-posted-21604_0812_2_lg.jpg-75595d1322018044

Another one with the correct date was sold last year on "Profiles in History".

For some reason, Profiles cropped the sides of the back page image of the car ad to make it look centered on the page. It's actually off-center to the right, and the right side of the box/outline on the page is much closer to the edge than the left side is. You can see that in the screen cap too.

The description in the first post is from the original screenused.com listing and COA

Another detail I just noticed: There is a small tape mark in the top right corner of the back page/car ad. My paper has this same tape on the top left corner of the front page, so these two papers may have been stuck together originally and used as filler in the paper seen in the screen cap. It looks like you can just barely see the left edge of another car ad outline visible on the inside page.

Last edited:
.... My paper has this same tape on the top left corner of the front page, so these two papers may have been stuck together originally and used as filler in the paper seen in the screen cap.....

Yes, that's possible. I'm pretty sure, that both papers (yours and the one from PiH) are not the one we can see on the screen capture in Marty's hand. Apart from the many small creases on the screen used paper (which are not the same on yours or the PiH one), the large horizontal fold on the screen used paper is lower and closer to the car. So maybe you're right and your paper was a filler in the one seen on screen.

Last edited:
I have decided to put this newspaper in the ScreenUsed Live Online Auction on Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 10:00AM PST. It is item number 36, on page 15 of the catalog (PDF page 17).

New ScreenUsed.com photos for the upcoming auction:
12282_1.jpg

12282_2.jpg

12282_3.jpg

12282_4.jpg

12282_5.jpg

12282_6.jpg

12282_7.jpg

12282_8.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back