Star Wars Comlink - what was the bottom found part?

I still think it's the inner nipple of the Hovi. Maybe with the top nipple part cut off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's one I made, built from the screw cap posted about above (thanks for that!), a custom white acetyl washer/spacer, an original Reade cylinder, and a "swpropman" hovi tip I found on ebay:

Something I noticed while building it is that the Reade cylinder's large end is not concentric with its hole. That's why the Reade part in the movie screencap above appears to have a smaller diameter in relation to the hovi - that's the "short" side where the central hole is closer to the edge. Take a look at the bottom and the flange is much wider there. I replicated this positioning as best I could with mine, though some asymmetry in the replica hovi mix tip meant I couldn't also position the raised text in the same place.

A few more angles:

I built it without using any paint or adhesives - it all assembles around a brass screw with aluminum spacers for weight.

I love how you've built this.

I have been looking for a white Hovi tip for a while. I just looked on ebay and I can't seem to find any white ones there. What is it listed under? I really don't want to paint a black one.

I have been looking for a white Hovi tip for a while. I just looked on ebay and I can't seem to find any white ones there. What is it listed under? I really don't want to paint a black one.

Thanks! I actually got a black tip set first but asked the seller (swpropman; not sure if he is on this board) if he could do another in white, which he obliged. When comparing the tips he makes against the comlink in the movie I see small differences like the rib width, and maybe they're a bit too tall, but overall they are nice quality replicas, are very cleverly engineered, and include details like the inner piece and raised text.

Very nice work! You inspired me to go off and collect the parts to make one myself.

Thanks for showing your steps.

Dan

I came a across a new reference photo for the bottom.

28238174_10156208915119747_5856574448845389826_o.jpg

Me too, the upper Hovi part looks hollow and it would perfectly fit sizewise...

but it would have been necessary to cut this small part first before glueing it onto the omlink....
too elaborate for the prop department?

I can make white Hovis, I’ve been making and selling them for many many years.

Me too, the upper Hovi part looks hollow and it would perfectly fit sizewise...

but it would have been necessary to cut this small part first before glueing it onto the omlink....
too elaborate for the prop department?
Not exactly hard to cut a piece of plastic. Totally plausible. I said on my show thread that I think it’s the inner nipple part possibly cut.

I agree with Lichtbringer, the shape is wrong. The sides of that part look too straight to be the inner nipple, and the inner nipple isn't wide enough. Also I just recently built a comlink and found if I lightly sand around the edge the base that the nipple is attached to, it will fit into the top of the Hovi. It just seems that it's too easy that they wouldn't do it that way.

IMG_4103.JPG

IMG_4101.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 156
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Lichtbringer, the shape is wrong. The sides of that part look too straight to be the inner nipple, and the inner nipple isn't wide enough. Also I just recently built a comlink and found if I lightly sand around the edge the base that the nipple is attached to, it will fit into the top of the Hovi. It just seems that it's too easy that they wouldn't do it that way.

is your hovi 100% accurate though ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back