Help vacu forming for Vader

jcgardea

Hi every one, I am doing a Vader, so I was planning to vacu form the lenses and the button covers. But I’ve had zero success with my test pulls , I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I dont know if its too much heat, or if not using the correct plastic.
I am using polypropylene like the one that comes with mead notebook covers, it is slightly less than 1mm thick.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

As you can see im getting holes sucked out Tried to use a heat gun to hest up un formed areas, no luck.
97407a9fc9fd1716ebe81dbe0ff2dc23.jpg
2f0005043bffce4f4e6421d28a08f602.jpg
1092202b86515f0810a3b5f1330e36cb.jpg
8fcc145576aaf32b03aa052440ab5628.jpg

Cheers!

The heat application is totally uneven. You are never going to get consistent heat to the whole area like that I’m afraid. If you use a heat gun to compensate again you are going to get hot spots which will suck through the mesh giving you holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The heat application is totally uneven. You are never going to get consistent heat to the whole area like that I’m afraid. If you use a heat gun to compensate again you are going to get hot spots which will suck through the mesh giving you holes.

Any suggestions to get even heating?

If you are using this system then your oven is the best bet. Heat the plastic in a preheated oven at about 175. The surface of the plastic will begin to ripple and drop. Then it will tighten back up and smooth out flat. Once it’s flat pull it out and push it over your mould and hit the vacuum. Try that.

Out of all the plastics that’s probably the hardest to heat. Your best bet will be ABS or HIPs.

I did a test with clear pet, and definitely worked alot better than polypropylene. Same rig, still failure, but definitely improvement. Will look for a better heating source. Thanks for the tips!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back