Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
PhotoGrid_1528303668734.jpg

If you're famous some people are going to like you, some are going to hate you. Even a 99% approval, that's 1% who don't.

Also, crazies exist. Even Mr. Rogers got hate mail from people who didn't like his show. So did Sesame Street. Most of us realize this by the age of 10.

And Most celebs (USED TO BE) adult enough to deal with this in a healthy way. Confronting the crazies is not healthy. It's stupid.

And blaming the masses for the few crazies: that's for people who hate money and popularity and want it to go away.

Interesting last paragraph from an article that showed up in my Google feed:
All the men in The Last Jedi are cowards, failures, inept, or suffer from toxic masculinity. The women know better then them must save the men from their masculinity. It’s the mindset of an arrogant woman who for years has put up with the men around her (remember Hollywood is a cesspool) and believes herself to be some beacon of feminine light in the darkness. Burning the tree of the Force is setting fire the the patriarchy. The subtext of The Last Jedi is very deep and very post-modern. It’s a reflection of Kennedy. It’s also why they had to destroy what Star Wars meant to us and why half the audience hates this film.
:

_OWK

I have zero problems with feminism in Star Wars.*
Heck - Princess Leia is a feminist ICON.
I was excited that Rey was going to be the new hero...

I just want a good story that respects my childhood heroes and understands the source material.
That's why I hate TLJ. It's just the most disrespectful, stupidly written thing I've ever seen.

* Feminism done right. The kind I grew up with in the '70s. The kind that empowered women without resorting to emasculating men.

Uhhh, no thanks. A quick scan of that article and it appears to be about Ruin--I'd rather not throw up in me Lucky Charms.

I will say this for R.J..... he didn't allow them to move the goal posts on the Kelly Marie topic

Screenshot (770).png

You may not like him or his work, or what he's done with Star Wars, but even you should applaud him for sticking up for the actress, and for being unafraid to call it like it is.

- - - Updated - - -

I have zero problems with feminism

* Feminism done right. The kind I grew up with in the '70s. The kind that empowered women without resorting to emasculating men.

This I agree with 100%.

My empowerment should not require the taking of anything from a man's masculinity.

You may not like him or his work, or what he's done with Star Wars, but even you should applaud him for sticking up for the actress, and for being unafraid to call it like it is.

He doesn't really have a choice, in my opinion. Those actors had to work with the material HE gave them, and which created the toxicity. All the blame fall squarely on him and his boss who approved it, not the actors.

So why does she have to quit social media all together? Cant she just block them or delete their comments? Im not big into social media, so Im not too familiar with how you block people etc. Seems kind of dramatic to quit just cause a couple of brain dead idiots. Its like letting the terrorists win. And like some of you have said, its Ruin Johnsons fault, not the actors. She just wanted a damn job in a Star Wars movie, which, before TLJ would have been a dream. Now...maybe not so much...

So why does she have to quit social media all together? Cant she just block them or delete their comments? Im not big into social media, so Im not too familiar with how you block people etc. Seems kind of dramatic to quit just cause a couple of brain dead idiots. Its like letting the terrorists win. And like some of you have said, its Ruin Johnsons fault, not the actors. She just wanted a damn job in a Star Wars movie, which, before TLJ would have been a dream. Now...maybe not so much...

A lot of famous people avoid social media. Some even avoid the internet altogether. It's not healthy to read too much criticism of you. Especially in a job that requires confidence. Many of the social media accounts you do see are actually run by someone else on their behalf.

A lot of famous people avoid social media. Some even avoid the internet altogether. It's not healthy to read too much criticism of you. Especially in a job that requires confidence. Many of the social media accounts you do see are actually run by someone else on their behalf.
True, while I do agree with that, a lot of times actors get roles because of how many social media followers they have. Hopefully by her quitting, she doesnt get passed up for future roles.

Axlotl. Sorry. That was in relation to this part of your statement. (The first sentence)

"I just want a good story that respects my childhood heroes and understands the source material.
That's why I hate TLJ. It's just the most disrespectful, stupidly written thing I've ever seen."

If you're famous some people are going to like you, some are going to hate you. Even a 99% approval, that's 1% who don't.

Also, crazies exist. Even Mr. Rogers got hate mail from people who didn't like his show. So did Sesame Street. Most of us realize this by the age of 10.

And Most celebs (USED TO BE) adult enough to deal with this in a healthy way. Confronting the crazies is not healthy. It's stupid.

And blaming the masses for the few crazies: that's for people who hate money and popularity and want it to go away.

The difference is MASSIVE however.

Mr Rodgers hate mail, or anyone else's hate mail was the topic of national/international conversation/debate a grand total of what? 0 times in his life. Probably no more than acknowledging it existed.

Today, with the morons of the internet, it's blasted out to everyone on the planet where more and more morons pile on to the point it generates news articles and becomes actual news. Hell, you cannot filter it out of your life today whereas you very much could in the days of Mr Rodgers. Hire someone to go through the mail, save it all just in case, but the star never has to see it or deal with it. Today, sure, you can not look at it, but your friends will mention it to you, or photographers looking for a reaction, interviewers, etc. You can't avoid it completely.

Frankly, one of the smartest moves i've seen by an online site is MSN when they ditched comments on articles. It's completely unnecessary and feeds the problem.

And i'm sorry, but much like in school, when a couple people couldn't stop abusing a privileged, everyone lost it. I'm not saying shut down the internet, but maybe shutdown pointless comment sections and public crap

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back