The thin-necked lightsaber appreciation society

hehe, yeah we should probably all send our ligthsabers to MCM for an hour in his dishwasher, he seems to be in the sweet spot, with the good product, the good water, the good dishwasher, and the good talent probably too ;)

Yeah id be curious exactly what type of OxiClean you used. I remember not getting any result when i tried the dishwasher method with my last V2, but im in a new place now with a new washer, so Im willing to try again.

Yeah id be curious exactly what type of OxiClean you used. I remember not getting any result when i tried the dishwasher method with my last V2, but im in a new place now with a new washer, so Im willing to try again.

Do you have some kind of filtration system in your house?

We have some kind of reverse osmosis system, removes practically all the iron and chlorine. When I tested the dishwasher trick on some of my spare parts I got wet little

I need to setup a time with my sister and use hers since hers doesn’t have a filtration system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are definitely a lot of variables in getting it right. Is everyone prepping the surface? I've put aluminum in before without scoring up the surface to little avail. I'm no scientist, but it seems that the iron in the steel wool has an effect on the outcome. As of now, I do live in the country with well water, which I'm sure has extra minerals in it, but I've had success with municipal water, too. I really think that the steel wool has something to do with it. Maybe throw some steel wool in and dump a bottle of mineral water in your dishwasher before running it lol.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I'll make another try, hopefully it will work better.
can you just confirm that the product I showed which is a multipurpose product is really the one you used, now that D48thRonin pointed out there are many variations, I afraid to put a product that's inapropriate for the dishwasher inside it and that maybe it bubbles to death or something.
sorry for the double confirmation request, much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it's the multipurpose powder form. The steel wool I'm using is #0000 steel wool, not the soapy brillo stuff.

This should probably be in Halliwax’s weathering thread, but here are the first results of my wash with Versatile Oxiclean. My pommel came out DARK GUNMETAL. I included the paper towel so you can see just how much darkening was on there. Once I cleaned it off it didn’t rrally rub off easily and seems to be on there pretty good. The booster came out like nothing happened. Are these the same metals? I had the pommel on the top rack and the booster on the lower, so I’m gonna reverse them and see if that’s the trick. Here they are compared to the untouched body after I went over the pommel with some scotchbrite pad.

23003FC1-4052-4B4E-BD0C-ACE3A4F824C4.jpeg9F813227-68AD-41E4-84FA-8D5579F08E3F.jpegE01D4E16-D5B7-46AF-ADBA-301E0B228753.jpeg78F2BB9A-3D84-48E8-ABFA-04F23007AA8D.jpeg

When I first pulled that pommel out it was almost solid black, I’m glad it came down a bit with some scotchbrite pads. I did a normal cycle and pulled them out before they had much time to heat dry.

nice!! if your having a hard time with scotchbrite not bringing it down, you can always try a high grit paper, 3000 or so and wet sanding it. see if you can make it brighter

i throw mine on the lathe, its kinda cheating... but you can do it by hand and still work

Do any of you guys have the Korbanth K4 weathered version? I'm having a heck of a time finding photos of one; their website only shows the "new" one. I have the old Master Replicas mini-saber versions (both clean and weathered) but think it's time for an upgrade...

Do any of you guys have the Korbanth K4 weathered version? I'm having a heck of a time finding photos of one; their website only shows the "new" one. I have the old Master Replicas mini-saber versions (both clean and weathered) but think it's time for an upgrade...

Why don't you get one and weather it yourself? I had a blast weathering how I wanted it!

I'm not sure I have the proper skill set to weather one myself, but I just ordered a weathered one from Korbanth. Obi-Wan is my favorite character, and his saber is a close second to the Skywalker one. I also have the Force FX Kenobi, but that hardly counts as a thin neck.

I'll post pictures once the Korbanth arrives. Yours looks great.

I'm not sure I have the proper skill set to weather one myself, but I just ordered a weathered one from Korbanth. Obi-Wan is my favorite character, and his saber is a close second to the Skywalker one. I also have the Force FX Kenobi, but that hardly counts as a thin neck.

I'll post pictures once the Korbanth arrives. Yours looks great.

Weathering is kinda easy, just beat it up!:lol In all seriousness, though it depends on the level of weathering. My K4 is my first saber, I didn't do near the modifications that MCM did. But I found it to be fairly easy and a lot of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Weather it yourself for sure! I weathered my own K4 (plus I had my machinist pal make some alterations) and I think it turned out way better than a pre-weathered one. K4 on top, Roman's Empire on the bottom. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180511/4524b457d9fc60f1cf3e7df19903e7f7.jpg

I'm still envious of your K4. I couldn't justify the price to get things modified. Oh well that money I saved will go to a MK 1:D

My thin necks... Ended up doing the V2 paint without a stencil as they where not available at the time. The all black paint job almost makes me want to find another and do an Obi stunt. My weathering on the MK1 has changed since I first got it due to LOTS of handling time installing and testing electronics.

Romans / Randy V3
Solos hold V2
Korbanth/Parks Hero Gullwing
Romans MK1 (pre weathered)

IMG_20180425_081924.jpg

IMG_20170708_234341.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back