Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you go with this? I think using a contact spray adhesive on the lower section and letting it tack (go almost dry) and then pressing it to the upper layer would adhere it without bleeding through.

I removed everything but the top layer, which worked. Kind of.. kind of.

20150323_134818.jpg

20150323_134828.jpg

:lol I suck.

Basically I started gluing from the sides forward, one little bit left, another little bit right. evenly until the end. Then I went to do one side and it had too much material. So I have to redo it, once I wrap my mind around what to do. In the 2nd pic, the glue job looks bad, I hadn't finished gluing the edges evenly around because I ran into this problem.

You guys amaze me. I hate working with fabric, there's no bondo for fabric.

BTTFSpencer have you seen photos of the NIKE MAG "Family and Friends"? I believe they were the "10" or the 1510 pairs made. One is pretty much an exact screen used shoe replica and the other is a standard 2011 release.

attachment.php

And your top image so looks like one of these pairs.

Attachments

• fR8io.jpg
    fR8io.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 777
Last edited by a moderator:
That is an awesome compliment. Thank you very much, I really hope I don't let everyone down and destroy them. I'm trying to glue them back together, but I don't really know how I'm going to do it properly.

If it is ruined, at least we know how to do the sock toe.

If I manage to get both done unscathed, I have some detailing plans in mind to better match the screen used pair. I am definitely going to add a layer of sparkle to the grey, which you can pick up in that photo.

Do you have any EVA foam on hand? I would suggest making yourself a pair of "lasts". You won't need the whole foot, just the toe section. Then you push that in to hold the shape of the toe whilst you lay down the first layer of glue. I take it you glue small bits at a time, so your first run will be inside the front edge of the mid-sole toe. So the last just gives the fabric some body. Once you remove the last, your toe should sag like the real shoes have.

@BTTFSpencer have you seen photos of the NIKE MAG "Family and Friends"? I believe they were the "10" or the 1510 pairs made.

The extra "10" made were the auction shoes that were auctioned off in LA, Santa Monica, NY, I believe Japan, London, etc. These also included the limited edition Plutonium Case MAGs.

The friends and family pairs were the display pairs that were used for the large wall of MAGs at the LA launch event. Some have defects and some were "prototypes"

attachment.php

The friends and family pairs were the display pairs that were used for the large wall of MAGs at the LA launch event. Some have defects and some were "prototypes"

Thanks for that.

I've only seen a few images of these shoes and a YouTube video. The right shoe is clearly a 2011 MAG. The left looks like a true replica of screen used shoe. I wish they had made pairs of that shoe. Even though it looks defective, it looks to be closer to the screen used shoe.

No they are even worse. Mine stopped working just three days after un-boxing and the wires actually broke off at the charge ports on both shoes.

Hmmmmm mine work fine. No breaks in any of the electrical wiring or lights. I charged them overnight because 30 mins. as the HC site suggested just wasn't enough, but no matter how long I charge the shoes, I only get 3 hrs. of battery life each time. The HC site states they should stay lite up for 4 hours after a 30 min. charge.

I think you will find 3 hours is about average... unless you have a freak pair like Risu who claimed to have to got 52 hours out of them.

After looking at dozens of posts of you guys that have nice fine splatter, I decided to re-do my rubber splatter.

First up I mixed about 20 grams of rubber and then divided that into two cups at about 15 grams and 5 grams. I mixed my light grey into the 15g cup and my aqua mix into the 5g cup. Because I needed these in a gel state, I took my time. I degassed both (again to kill time) and then let them sit on the bench for a further 30 minutes. I set a timer so i would not forget them.

I started with the grey and dribbled it over the existing splatter which helped thin some of the thinker lines. After coating both shoes with grey, I moved onto the aqua which was getting really thick by now.

I have these half width (of a standard Popsicle stick) wood sticks which are generally crap for working with rubber, but quite excellent for this fine work. By dabbing the stick into the rubber and lifting it out quickly, I was able to work up a small lump and very fine stream. I quickly dabbed the end so it just touched the grey and lifted it up. Initially it was quite rough, but after 15 mins, the rubber seems to self level itself. It also seems to have blended a touch creating an interesting marble effect. Here is what I ended up with.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

If I got a lump or thick part, I simply went over it with more grey. I also went over my MAG lettering (to ensure a colour match) and because of the way the rubber sits and pools, it has given the letters a "molded look" rather than the "cut out look" I had. I also seem to have managed to get some texture happening. Not sure if that they fade as it cures. I will find out in the morning I guess.

Attachments

• 20150407_230609.jpg
    20150407_230609.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 562
  • 20150407_230641.jpg
    20150407_230641.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 563
  • 20150407_230700.jpg
    20150407_230700.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 592
Thanks rhodrijen :)

Has anyone else had the mid-sole cracking issue I have had with my MAGs? I thought when I skinned my soles in grey rubber that would be the end of that. Sadly no. Whilst the sides didn't split, the curved area of the mid-sole between the front oval and the concave shape on the rear part of the outer sole has cracked yet again on both shoes.

This time I extended the gap and loaded it with Shoe Goo. I'll admit, I do go hard on these as I wear them all day at charity events for the 501st (as a wrangler) and I walk on all kinds of surfaces including bitumen and concrete etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any pics of how it cracked? Just cracked or crumbling?

Not on hand. I can take one tomorrow. I have just locked up the workshop for the night. Kind of reminds me of what happened to both the NIKE Air Pressures and REEBOK Pumps. It is almost like the rubber is breaking down because as soon i would repair one crack (I was using superglue for a time), another would appear right beside that.

Yesterday involved a lot of happiness, followed by slight disaster. Got my Cavx soles to fit on my shoes how i want, only to break the connections on my EL....DOH!

Either way i'm so happy with how these look, just have to wait to fully seal up the outrigger side.

20150412_111230.jpg20150412_111235.jpg20150412_111253.jpg20150412_114316.jpg

Particularly of the inside sole where the mid sole and clear sole meet, was able to smoothly blend them into each other like on the RDs.

Again, Huge thanks to Cavx for these. They really do make all the difference to the shoes.

Also.....something that i don't think has been mentioned but i found yesterday, the grip these shoes have now is amazing! That pyramid tread really holds on :D

Yesterday involved a lot of happiness, followed by slight disaster. Got my Cavx soles to fit on my shoes how i want, only to break the connections on my EL....DOH!

Either way i'm so happy with how these look, just have to wait to fully seal up the outrigger side.

Particularly of the inside sole where the mid sole and clear sole meet, was able to smoothly blend them into each other like on the RDs.

Again, Huge thanks to Cavx for these. They really do make all the difference to the shoes.

Also.....something that i don't think has been mentioned but i found yesterday, the grip these shoes have now is amazing! That pyramid tread really holds on :D

Your welcome. They are looking great and hopefully you can get that EL sorted.

Yes the grip is awesome! It makes you wonder why such a simply thing as these little pyramids are not used on more shoes.

Hi guys! I once owned these Mags, but due to financial issues I had to sell them :cry Actually I sold them to another member on here. These are actually 2 different sized shoes, one was a 7 and the other an 8. They were samples made during the production of the mags back in 2009 and we're never meant or allowed for resell. I obtained them from a buddy of mine who worked on the project. I have a few more images of them if any of you guys are interested.

cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 99
Hi guys! I once owned these Mags, but due to financial issues I had to sell them :cry Actually I sold them to another member on here. These are actually 2 different sized shoes, one was a 7 and the other an 8. They were samples made during the production of the mags back in 2009 and we're never meant or allowed for resell. I obtained them from a buddy of mine who worked on the project. I have a few more images of them if any of you guys are interested.

cheers!

I'm down to see some more pics of those for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back