Star Wars The Force Unleashed II - General Rahm Kota WIP

Here is the de-molded saber holster liner. The opening is still rough cut and needs the wavy edge and the lacing. If any of you build fiberglass production pieces, I can highly recommend a bit of the flexible resin in the mix (see previous post for source link). As you can see in the first photo, it REALLY flexes, and that's only about 25% flex-resin to 75% normal laminating resin. It snaps right back into original shape as soon as pressure is let off. There were three layers of glass cloth in this casting, and I could have gone four with no problem. I plan on using a little flex resin in the mix for the ab-plate. For the lacing I plan to use plain un-waxed dental floss, and make it rigid with superglue (Many thanks to Thomas Spanos The Clone Emperor for the idea).

Next up is the new leather wrap on the (now longer) lightsaber hilt.

kota_bandoleer14.png

kota_bandoleer16.png

kota_bandoleer17.png

kota_bandoleer19.png

~ vonnor

Although not technically part of the TFU2 Rahm Kota costume, I did a little work on another shoulder bell this weekend. It is for the blind/drunk version of General Kota from TFU.

Pam Simpson gave me a suggestion a long time ago about reducing armor weight. Her idea was to cast inner and outer shells and fix them together. I need an extremely lightweight solution for the blind Kota shoulder bell since he only wears one and I don't want it to pull the shirt neckline all out of kilter.

I used the old clam shell mold that I cast the original bells in and laid a rondo gel-coat followed by 4 tight cloth layers. It came out very light weight. I will bondo the two halves together and smooth out the edges.

drunk_kota_bell_02.jpg

drunk_kota_bell_03.jpg

drunk_kota_bell_04.jpg

drunk_kota_bell_05.jpg

drunk_kota_bell_06.jpg

drunk_kota_bell_08.jpg

~ vonnor

Me neither, Scott!

Today was a prime day. I tack-glued the hollow shoulder bell for the blind TFU Kota armor, then bondo'd the two half shells together. I also put the tsuka-ito wrap on the final version of the lightsaber, and primed the bell and the lightsaber-holster liner.

kota_bandoleer20.png

kota_lightsaber01.png

kota_lightsaber02.png

kota_lightsaber03.png

kota_lightsaber04.png

More to come.

~ vonnor

More work on the lightsaber holster: I laced up the gap in the "leather" lining (it's actually flexible fiberglass) using embroidery thread, then soaked the thread with superglue over a polypropylene tube insert. Glue didn't stick to the plastic but made the thread semi-rigid. Jedi Leda will be adding the weathering.

In the background is the hollow and very lightweight shoulder bell for the blind/drunk Kota. I also cut and weathered a tabard (not shown) to loop over the belt. All ready for Celebration now. :D

kota_bandoleer21.png

kota_bandoleer24.png

~ vonnor

Woha just found your thread great work! lovin the detail and screen cap reference, you really have your kit looking good!
I have just started playing with a design for Kota's lightsaber. figured if I was going to lathe on his would be a good place to start.

Man, your dedication to see this through over 5 years is amazing. It looks great, cant wait to see it completed.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back