Show your Dr. Who props!

Hello all,
Love the new sonic screwdriver for Capaldi, but I feel it needs a tweak. Feels visually bulky and implies functionality that isn't used.
The hinges seems like an after thought and seem overly complex.

Here are two design tweak ideas I was thinking about augmenting. What are your thoughts?

Best,
-J
View attachment 734235

I like the general direction but I don't think it really cuts back on the bulkiness that the prongs/hinges add on the original since each alternative design seems to add the same manner of bulkiness to the overall look. But I rather like the design and the prospect of the prongs/hinges being functional as is so that could just be me. My main critique aside from that would be the portion between the switch and the emitter head. All sonics have one thing in common and that is that they tend to become more ornate and detailed near the front than the back, which I think is why a lot of people don't like the Capaldi sonic (or at least the rear portion, from what I've heard). Improving the design I think would likely involve invoking that same scheme with the prettier bits near the front and the plainer stuff towards the rear.

There's also a serious logistical issue with the head retracting into the body below the activation switch since that would be impossible to build for a practical prop - but canon-wise, Time Lord technology would certainly allow this :)

And I don't mean to be too harsh, I do like what you're trying to do. Both designs just seem too symmetrical from front to back which is something no sonic has ever done, and I think that's for good reason - it's just not aesthetically pleasing to the eye to have that much consistency or repetition across the length of an object. Think about swords with the hilt and blade or how every staff throughout history has focused on the front end for the more ornate design and detail with a grip somewhere in the middle. Thinking outside the box is great but too far outside of the box just throws out conventions that should always be considered in design.

Great feedback! I appreciate it and definitely agree with most points. Full disclaimer I was trying to retain the feel of the current prop with a little tweak and not full redesign. Before I embark on any build I'll run this through the ideator again. Your comments have given me an idea for another variant that wouldn't completely redo the spirit of the design. Oh, and the activation switch is on the surface of the body, so the telescoping neck would incorporate fine.

Many thanks, Doc!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great feedback! I appreciate it and definitely agree with most points. Full disclaimer I was trying to retain the feel of the current prop with a little tweak and not full redesign. Before I embark on any build I'll run this through the ideator again. Your comments have given me an idea for another variant that wouldn't completely redo the spirit of the design. Oh, and the activation switch is on the surface of the body, so the telescoping neck would incorporate fine.

Many thanks, Doc!

BTW, Doctor Octoroc
I just saw some of your fantastic work. You're a genius at this. Have you thought about making a variant of this model?

Best,
-J

BTW, Doctor Octoroc
I just saw some of your fantastic work. You're a genius at this. Have you thought about making a variant of this model?

Best,
-J

Thanks! I've thought about it but I generally stick to recreations so I'm not likely to ever build an alternate design. I love the idea of recreating a prop as accurately as possible (despite usually having limited source material when I initially embark) since it adds a nice challenge.

You're right about the slider switch not interfering with retraction on a stunt prop - I guess my mind went right to the question of where the electronics would go. Having done a build of the 12th's sonic, it was a challenge to get small components into the body with it being completely hollow to start so I was imaging trying to fit them in with nearly all the space already being taken up by the emitter head and any functional parts that would facilitate its retraction.

Hey all,

Here is a second version based on Doctor Octoroc's feedback.
This one strays a bit further from what I wanted to accomplish but I think the suggestions really helped shape it into something all its own.

Any additional feedback is welcomed, of course.

Best,
-J

Attachments

• Sonic12_MII.jpg
    Sonic12_MII.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 496
Hey all,

Here is a second version based on Doctor Octoroc's feedback.
This one strays a bit further from what I wanted to accomplish but I think the suggestions really helped shape it into something all its own.

Any additional feedback is welcomed, of course.

Best,
-J

Nice! I definitely like this one better, especially the Gallifreyan design on the back end. and various extending bits on the front and back.

The 'extended base control' looks (to me) lie it would be a great 'power core' (i.e. battery)
I certainly prefer this with the smoother handle. I never saw the point of the Smith sonic's claws, they don't do anything! The sticking-out bits on this one look like detail just for the sake of complexity. It's meant to be a screwdriver - or at most, a multi-tool, so why the 'cage' and 'hinges'?
The re-design here looks more like antennae surrounding a transmitter section - much more in keeping with the idea of a projected energy device.

Does anyone have any images of the Fourth Doctor's "Honourary Member of the Alpha Centauri Tennis Club" card?

I'd like to create a printout for the paper props thread but I'm having no look with finding any photos. :-\

What do you have in mind? I'd be willing to do a couple of things - for free of course - if you could provide some screenshots (or if it's an episode I have in my collection, I can get some screengrabs myself.)

Last edited:
Here's a Rubbertoe Neural Block from series 9 that I've modified with an LED as seen on the show:

Their replicas don't include the LED, but the cool thing is that the middle layer still has the space for the LED/battery/switch. You just have to carefully, carefully pop the thing open. It's assembled with CA glue, so a little Un-cure helps (but not too much as it seems to soften the resin after a bit).

That's a great mod, E Williams! Excellent work.

I recently got a new Sonic Screwdriver for my collection, this time it's Romana’s Sonic Screwdriver from “The Horns of Nimon”

This replica was made by Scarecrow Props using pics and measurements of/from the real prop that was given away on Swap Shop in the 1980’s with Sarah Sutton as a guest. The owner of the original prop contacted Scarecrow Props directly to give him the details of this sonic and allow him to replicate it. This is the first Scarecrow Props replica that I've gotten and he did an amazing job on this piece. I did ask for one change from the original prop though.

Also pictured is my customized RBReplicas Fourth Doctor Sonic.

Romana Sonic-Instagram-2.jpg

That's a great mod, E Williams! Excellent work.

I recently got a new Sonic Screwdriver for my collection, this time it's Romana’s Sonic Screwdriver from “The Horns of Nimon”

This replica was made by Scarecrow Props using pics and measurements of/from the real prop that was given away on Swap Shop in the 1980’s with Sarah Sutton as a guest. The owner of the original prop contacted Scarecrow Props directly to give him the details of this sonic and allow him to replicate it. This is the first Scarecrow Props replica that I've gotten and he did an amazing job on this piece. I did ask for one change from the original prop though.

Also pictured is my customized RBReplicas Fourth Doctor Sonic.

View attachment 736568

Nice sonics! I'm curious to know where you got that "seal of rassilon" cube in the background?

Nice sonics! I'm curious to know where you got that "seal of rassilon" cube in the background?

It was made by Tim Lindsey around 2007. He either sold them on his site or never got around to it. This one was a gift from him. He called them the Infinity Box but only because he was concerned with rights issues if he called it the Rassilon Box like he had originally wanted.

Hey guys. A ton of the stuff in this thread is making me super envious, but I've got a few things of my own to share, too.

An admittedly not-very-accurate replica of River's diary. I had an artist friend put some monsters etc in the middle, but I actually use it to compile recipes I've found that I wanna keep.
NNDGuvs.jpg

B5qloKp.jpg

9cb3jQN.jpg

Supposedly screen used banknotes from The Runaway Bride
DzsU6kN.jpg

Cyber display. The gun & earpods came as kits and were done by me (the earpods even blink!), and the helmet was bought mostly completed, with a few finishing details added by me.
IVFNDSY.jpg

Finished up the first cast of this, Gallifreyan Staser pistol from Hell Bent.
Any chance you'll be doing a run of these? Would love even just an unpainted cast, it looks superb.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back