Captain America: Civil War (Post-release)

Loved it but the timing was a bit off.

They had 36 hrs to bring them in, and in that time he had a spidey suit ready for him, then got everyone to the airport. I dont know it just seemed a little too convenient. Also they really made Zemo a wuss compared to the comics.

With all that being said, I still loved it and agree it still felt like a Cap movie

This could be my new fave MCU film, it's just that good. The action scenes alone make this highly re-watchable, throw in the character moments for Cap, Tony 'Stank', and Bucky, and this becomes a huge payoff for MCU fans. There were a couple things I could nitpick about - Zemo as a villain, Cap and Sharon's very rushed and out of place kiss moment, and the budding romance between SW and Vision not that well executed - but can't deny these are just nitpicks and didn't hurt the overall film. Really looking forward to the Black Panther and Spider-Man solo films, Boseman and Holland nailed it.

I watched the winter soldier again the other night. I forgot how much I disliked the final act of that flick.

It would have been a MUCH stronger film if hydra wasn't involved. They took a great conspiracy thriller and then blamed Hitler.

Really enjoyed this one better than the last, and as has been mentioned before Spidey, AntMan, and Black Panther were AWESOME!

Loved it but the timing was a bit off.

They had 36 hrs to bring them in, and in that time he had a spidey suit ready for him, then got everyone to the airport. I dont know it just seemed a little too convenient. Also they really made Zemo a wuss compared to the comics.

With all that being said, I still loved it and agree it still felt like a Cap movie

No offense, but a comment like this makes me feel sad for you man. I didnt think about that AT ALL considering what was going on. I thought the movie was fantastic, my only beefs with it were the stupid shaky cam-overclocked camera stuff in the beginning, Marisa Tomei being a hot Aunt May (thats freaking stupid) and the editing when Zemo was interrogating Bucky, cap gets a hold of him, then it cuts to him eating in an airport. That was some bad editing a la BvS, but other than that, I thought the movie was awesome. It was hard to get immersed though because there were some ******** in the theater that were ruining it for everyone by hootin and hollerin and say things like OH **** SPIDEY WHAT YO GON DO NOW OHHH FUUUCCCKKK and all kinds of stuff like that. We went and saw it at Cinepolis too. Furious.

To people complaining about it not being the same scope as the comics? Cmooonnnn!!! How could you have possibly thought that they could translate THAT to the big screen, and have it been good? They bit off a big chunk of story with this movie, and the russos handled it superbly. This movie is an example of cramming a lot into a flick and pulling it off, not the dumpster fire that BvS was. Zack Synder needs to take notes on this movie, cause he is going to need it. I hope this movie makes a billion dollars. I dont think it will, but I can hope!

I kind of wanted Rhodes to die, to make the stakes a little higher, he isnt a dynamic character, and I for one wouldnt have minded seeing him bite the bullet.

Loved it! Im having post cap withdrawals. Im sad its over.

I enjoyed it way more than any of the other Avengers films. Black Panther, Spiderman, and Antman were so much fun to watch. I'll definitely be seeing this again this weekend.

I enjoyed it way more than any of the other Avengers films. Black Panther, Spiderman, and Antman were so much fun to watch. I'll definitely be seeing this again this weekend.
Taking my mom to see it on mothers day! I hope she likes it. Did anyone else think the super soldier sub plot seemed unecessary?

Taking my mom to see it on mothers day! I hope she likes it. Did anyone else think the super soldier sub plot seemed unecessary?

I think it would have been interesting for the other WS to have been altered to look like Bucky, adding to the myth of him being everywhere at once, and lending a bit of doubt and ambiguity to exactly which Winter Soldier killed the Starks. But yeah Zemo and the other soldiers just seemed kind of weird.

Hated the fact Zemo wasted the super soldiers. I suppose he would've had no control over them so maybe that was what he thought was best. Still hated that though.
Surprised at how good Tom Holland was, the quips were strong with him. He was the most vocal during fighting even when he was simply yelling after being tossed around. Black Panther was good as well, I wish he would have intervened a bit sooner.

There was was so much going on, I felt Vision was wasted in that fight, and was hoping some show of him being held back since we know Vision is OP...

And I can't believe my coworkers said they hated it. I was really surprised at their reasons, Cap didn't die was the main one.

One thing they did well was shaping Cap and Stanks motivations. Cap lost Carter and was down to one person left in the world he could call a friend.

Also, Cap likes to keep his girls all in the family... Wink wink

Last edited:
I love how they went on with keeping Tony mad or not feeling anything for his father. In the final fight when he says "I don't care, he killed my mom", that's when you feel like he never actually loved his father despite the "You will always be my greatest creation" thing in IM2

I was out of town this week so took the opportunity to see it yesterday at a 7PM showing. I thought I would grab a ticket at 6 and head to the bookstore. The ticket guy said I could go in the theater so I said why not and they were already a ton of people waiting in the theater!

Really enjoyed everything about the movie except for all the shaky cam stuff in the beginning. No idea why that was there but the rest of the fights were did not use it.

I just can't understand why people want Cap to die just because of the dumb (dumb!) convoluted comic story line. I kind of wish they would not have named it Civil War so the uber comic nerds didn't have that to complain about. :)

Watch your language.

Dont be that guy man. Nobody likes that guy.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it would have been interesting for the other WS to have been altered to look like Bucky, adding to the myth of him being everywhere at once, and lending a bit of doubt and ambiguity to exactly which Winter Soldier killed the Starks. But yeah Zemo and the other soldiers just seemed kind of weird.

I mean, what was the point, just to get them lured there so they could fight? Couldnt he have done that anywhere though? I was hoping that Bucky was cloned, that was my theory going into it. But yeah, I totally agree, that would have been cool. I got why Zemo was in it, to nudge them along into fighting, I just didnt get the whole other super soldier arc. Maybe Ill get it when I see it again on sunday.

- - - Updated - - -

I was out of town this week so took the opportunity to see it yesterday at a 7PM showing. I thought I would grab a ticket at 6 and head to the bookstore. The ticket guy said I could go in the theater so I said why not and they were already a ton of people waiting in the theater!

Really enjoyed everything about the movie except for all the shaky cam stuff in the beginning. No idea why that was there but the rest of the fights were did not use it.

I just can't understand why people want Cap to die just because of the dumb (dumb!) convoluted comic story line. I kind of wish they would not have named it Civil War so the uber comic nerds didn't have that to complain about. :)

The weird thing about the weirdo comic nerds wanting him to die is also stupid, because he comes back anyway. If cap died, I probably wouldnt watch another marvel movie. He is definitely the heart of the avengers.

The only bad thing about these movies is they really cement the actors in the character roles. I'm just not sure I can see anyone else playing Cap in the future.

The only bad thing about these movies is they really cement the actors in the character roles. I'm just not sure I can see anyone else playing Cap in the future.

I truly truly hope that the MCU can be a universe that passes mantles on to new characters instead of recasting. No one will ever be able to touch these portrayals, and trying to put another actor into the role would be a huge misstep from Marvel.

Did anyone else think the super soldier sub plot seemed unecessary?

In the context of the movie what Zemo did make alot of sense as a storyline.
He had no idea there were "other" super soldiers, which was the point of him setting up and questioning Bucky about the incident of 1991 after he gained control of him. He knew something had happened but not exactly what.
When he discovered they existed he changed his plans to include that base, because it was a great example as to what would happen to the Avengers team if they failed to agree to sign the accord ie imprisoned (and possibly "sanctioned" if they lost control).
His intention was always to breakup the "Avengers" so by dragging Stark and the Cap out there, particularly after the battle at the airport, it just brought things to ahead. It was the final straw that broke the camels back and triggered a terrible infight .
Zemos also knew his plot would be discovered (after killing the pyschologist ) so the chances were very high that things would have been returned to normal without that last critical push. He also showed to the world again just how dangerous the Avengers were, how simply they could be manipulated by just a normal man and how devastating the outcome would always be with people who wield super powers go into battle, even against themselves. He's made them look terribly dangerous to ordinary people yet again.
And thats pretty much what I really respected about the writing in this. Zemo was a "weak" villian only in the sense he was simply a grieving human being ,yet he managed to gain control over the "super heros" and cause chaos and destruction everywhere as a result. After the incident at the beginning of CACW that airport battle is going to cause an even huger public outcry and the results for them, as Zemo hinted, even worse, which we begin to see at the end.
Kudos to the writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely who did what I thought was a fantastic job with a theme thats been done so poorly so many times (one of the best up until now was "The Incredibles) and the Russos (and Marvel) who managed to give to give us a movie which was wholely consistent with the rest, yet tonely so different from all the others.

Snikt, I'm glad you liked this after reading your posts in BVS.

No, I'm not trying to do the Cap thing. It's legit against the rules of The RPF to use such language

I know you werent trying to be funny, or do the Cap thing. Youre being one of those tool bags that likes to point out the rules and be a hall monitor on an internet forum. Are you offended? Would you have not been offended if the filter blocked it? I was trying to prove a point about how bad my experience was in the theater. When I said "dont be that guy" I meant it as dont be the overly sensitive tool/weenie that nobody likes. But if thats how you get your kicks by trying to tell someone what to do on a forum then go for it man. You be you.

- - - Updated - - -

In the context of the movie what Zemo did make alot of sense as a storyline.
He had no idea there were "other" super soldiers, which was the point of him setting up and questioning Bucky about the incident of 1991 after he gained control of him. He knew something had happened but not exactly what.
When he discovered they existed he changed his plans to include that base, because it was a great example as to what would happen to the Avengers team if they failed to agree to sign the accord ie imprisoned (and possibly "sanctioned" if they lost control).
His intention was always to breakup the "Avengers" so by dragging Stark and the Cap out there, particularly after the battle at the airport, it just brought things to ahead. It was the final straw that broke the camels back and triggered a terrible infight .
Zemos also knew his plot would be discovered (after killing the pyschologist ) so the chances were very high that things would have been returned to normal without that last critical push. He also showed to the world again just how dangerous the Avengers were, how simply they could be manipulated by just a normal man and how devastating the outcome would always be with people who wield super powers go into battle, even against themselves. He's made them look terribly dangerous to ordinary people yet again.
And thats pretty much what I really respected about the writing in this. Zemo was a "weak" villian only in the sense he was simply a grieving human being ,yet he managed to gain control over the "super heros" and cause chaos and destruction everywhere as a result. After the incident at the beginning of CACW that airport battle is going to cause an even huger public outcry and the results for them, as Zemo hinted, even worse, which we begin to see at the end.
Kudos to the writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely who did what I thought was a fantastic job with a theme thats been done so poorly so many times (one of the best up until now was "The Incredibles) and the Russos (and Marvel) who managed to give to give us a movie which was wholely consistent with the rest, yet tonely so different from all the others.

Snikt, I'm glad you liked this after reading your posts in BVS.

Ohhhhh ok thanks for clarifying, I didnt get that. Thanks man! Ok now it makes more sense to me. Me too CutThumb, me too. I loved this damn movie, Im sad that its over.

I know you werent trying to be funny, or do the Cap thing. Youre being one of those tool bags that likes to point out the rules and be a hall monitor on an internet forum. Are you offended? Would you have not been offended if the filter blocked it? I was trying to prove a point about how bad my experience was in the theater. When I said "dont be that guy" I meant it as dont be the overly sensitive tool/weenie that nobody likes. But if thats how you get your kicks by trying to tell someone what to do on a forum then go for it man. You be you.

Chill bro, I'm not offended at all but I'm trying to tell you what to do to not get a possible termination. You wouldn't wanna get banned now would you?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back