Looking for MPP style shroud for Vader saber

The bulb release and updated shroud are up.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/jcshapeshop

Running into a snag with the end cap. The shroud uploads in about 15 seconds and it's 5MB. The endcap is 26MB and it's been going about an hour and still not up. Will keep trying thought. Not sure it'll work either. It might only work in white plastic due to the minimum 1mm thickness everywhere else. The actual cap is .025" thick vs .03937 being 1mm.

Edit - finally got the endcap through and only raw silver and bronze are ok to print :)

I'm going to have to thicken it to make it work, but i'll post a result here first to make sure it's ok. I maybe need to thicken the wall from .025" to nearly .04-.05" to make it pass in plastics...

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Kylo Ren looking one? I dont think they are Roys but I could be wrong. If they are that auction is worth it!
cboath, you are doing awesome work!

I just ran across a Heiland "broadsword" on the 'Bay sporting three of, what I think to be, Roy's shroud. The whole lot is going for close to two hundo at the moment, I think. If you're willing to splurge, I suppose that's an easy way to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bulb release and updated shroud are up.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/jcshapeshop

Running into a snag with the end cap. The shroud uploads in about 15 seconds and it's 5MB. The endcap is 26MB and it's been going about an hour and still not up. Will keep trying thought. Not sure it'll work either. It might only work in white plastic due to the minimum 1mm thickness everywhere else. The actual cap is .025" thick vs .03937 being 1mm.

Edit - finally got the endcap through and only raw silver and bronze are ok to print :)

I'm going to have to thicken it to make it work, but i'll post a result here first to make sure it's ok. I maybe need to thicken the wall from .025" to nearly .04-.05" to make it pass in plastics...
Awsome, keep us posted. Just checked out the modified shroud and new bulb release. If you get the end cap up, I get all 3 at once. Great job and thank you for this.

All right, here's a look at what we got...

mpp-ec2.PNGmpp-ec1.PNGmppbrassy.PNG

The bulb release assembly should be pretty much spot on.

The endcap is as close as I can get and make it printable. Minimum thickness requirement for some materials is .7mm (.028") and most materials it's 1mm (.04"). Problem with the endcap is those threads. I had to make the base thickness of the endcap .04"/1mm so that when the threads get cut into it, that thickness is a minimum of .028". The results are in the images. I can now tell you that based on that, the only materials it can't print in you likely wouldn't want anyhow (porcelain, sandstone, wax, and raw aluminum)!

As of now, with now being about 15 minutes from now so i can pick the materials to make available, the endcap should be up now :)

All right, here's a look at what we got...

View attachment 645372View attachment 645371View attachment 645373

The bulb release assembly should be pretty much spot on.

The endcap is as close as I can get and make it printable. Minimum thickness requirement for some materials is .7mm (.028") and most materials it's 1mm (.04"). Problem with the endcap is those threads. I had to make the base thickness of the endcap .04"/1mm so that when the threads get cut into it, that thickness is a minimum of .028". The results are in the images. I can now tell you that based on that, the only materials it can't print in you likely wouldn't want anyhow (porcelain, sandstone, wax, and raw aluminum)!

As of now, with now being about 15 minutes from now so i can pick the materials to make available, the endcap should be up now :)

I just ordered the shroud and button release in black strong/flexible plastic. Really wanted to go with the stainless steel option for the shroud, and get the cap in stainless steel as well, but have to hold off on that for the moment.

I ordered a Heiland Synchronar 3-cell tube only (no shroud) off ebay for this first Vader saber. When I have more $$$, I'll get the shroud and endcap in steel and replace those parts. Thanks again for posting these up!

Just a thought, though. Since you already have a 3-D model of the shroud, have you thought of having a machine shop do a small run in the accurate material used on theVader saber: mild steel? Though a "lesser" material than stainless steel, it's accurate to the original and would bring the price down from the current $130 or so to print the shroud in stainless steel.

Also, right now we still have to buy a Heiland for the guts so that it looks the part when someone looks down the business end. Any plans to design the internals so we can forgo purchasing a Heiland and just use our own chrome-plated brass tube (or polished aluminum for a slightly more used look) with cut holes?

130 is printing in SS. It's expensive. I'd imagine with enough of them that you could get it under 100. Steel, though, is pricey. You'd be much better off with aluminum as it's cheaper and easier to work with (cut/drill/etc).

I remember doing TPM obi and qui sabers in SS and the price for doing stainless was up there. A36 or whatever the material for bar stock is would be the carbon steel to use, but not sure of the pricing and in non-stainless it can rust.

I suppose i could look up a few shops to see what the shroud would cost, but i'd guess that you'd need an order of 25 or 50 for it to be affordable.

130 is printing in SS. It's expensive. I'd imagine with enough of them that you could get it under 100. Steel, though, is pricey. You'd be much better off with aluminum as it's cheaper and easier to work with (cut/drill/etc).

I remember doing TPM obi and qui sabers in SS and the price for doing stainless was up there. A36 or whatever the material for bar stock is would be the carbon steel to use, but not sure of the pricing and in non-stainless it can rust.

I suppose i could look up a few shops to see what the shroud would cost, but i'd guess that you'd need an order of 25 or 50 for it to be affordable.

As nice as Roy's shrouds were, I believe they were aluminum, which just doesn't have the same feel/density/weight as mild steel. We see in the screen-used Vader saber pics that the exposed shroud is indeed rusting, so normal steel was used. I'm sure none of ours, if we were to be able to obtain mild (non-stainless) steel shrouds would let our shrouds go un-coated long enough for any rust to occur. So why not go for the gusto and use the correct metal? That said, I would still prefer a SS shroud over an aluminum one for the increased accuracy of weight/density, if those were the only options.

I think with Roy discontinuing his shrouds, everyone else already having discontinued them, and with Rogue One fast approaching, there is enough pent-up demand to warrant a run of 25-50 shrouds, especially if you got them machined in accurate non-stainless steel. Even those that already had one of Roy's may choose to get one in this new material.

Sorry, but i would choose each machined material for shrouds over printed ones - so, no, i wouldn´t go for them.

And as SS is not a bit more accurate as any other wrong material, it would be stupid from the beginning.

Sorry, but i would choose each machined material for shrouds over printed ones - so, no, i wouldn´t go for them.

And as SS is not a bit more accurate as any other wrong material, it would be stupid from the beginning.

What I'm proposing IS a machined shroud from normal non-stainless steel. And that is what cboath said he may be able to look into. I just mentioned that if normal non-stainless steel isn't an option, I'd still probably order a printed stainless steel shroud rather than a machined aluminum one. But hopefully, I won't have to make that compromise and he'll find a reasonable option for machining a few in normal steel.

At any rate, I haven't seen anything discussed yet that qualifies as stupid.

thank you for your uploads, it's nice to have these options at such low costs!

- Not vader related, but have you considered uploading other saber upgrades? Been trying to complete a yoda saber, no luck with finding lambo wheel for emitter top.

I do hope you add more saber upgrades if you can, have several tubes in a box just sitting there collecting dust that I don't want to get rid off.

As nice as Roy's shrouds were, I believe they were aluminum, which just doesn't have the same feel/density/weight as mild steel. We see in the screen-used Vader saber pics that the exposed shroud is indeed rusting, so normal steel was used. I'm sure none of ours, if we were to be able to obtain mild (non-stainless) steel shrouds would let our shrouds go un-coated long enough for any rust to occur. So why not go for the gusto and use the correct metal? That said, I would still prefer a SS shroud over an aluminum one for the increased accuracy of weight/density, if those were the only options.

I think with Roy discontinuing his shrouds, everyone else already having discontinued them, and with Rogue One fast approaching, there is enough pent-up demand to warrant a run of 25-50 shrouds, especially if you got them machined in accurate non-stainless steel. Even those that already had one of Roy's may choose to get one in this new material.

It's interesting to see indeed the rust spots on the screen used MPP. My shroud was indeed machined aluminium, and it was based on a real MPP (the MPP from Chaim / @Sym-Cha). Not only its measurements, but judging from the weight, also the material. Which leads me to believe, that the shrouds used on the MPP's might have been changed over the years in production; both a lighter aluminium casting and a steel version exist. I also noticed some difference in the wall thickness of the angled cylindrical part. Some are thinner than others.

But indeed did I discontinue the shrouds, but perhaps it's about time to do a limited run of around 50 pieces and ask someone's help in wrinkle coating and US distribution.

Roy

It's interesting to see indeed the rust spots on the screen used MPP. My shroud was indeed machined aluminium, and it was based on a real MPP (the MPP from Chaim / @Sym-Cha). Not only its measurements, but judging from the weight, also the material. Which leads me to believe, that the shrouds used on the MPP's might have been changed over the years in production; both a lighter aluminium casting and a steel version exist. I also noticed some difference in the wall thickness of the angled cylindrical part. Some are thinner than others.

But indeed did I discontinue the shrouds, but perhaps it's about time to do a limited run of around 50 pieces and ask someone's help in wrinkle coating and US distribution.

Roy

Would you be able to do some in mild steel to match the hero ESB/ROTJ saber? For the Obi saber, it's giant jump in machining effort and cost to get emitters in the accurate Inconel metal vs. steel or aluminum. But the cost increase from aluminum to mild steel isn't nearly as large, and I think folks would be willing to pay for this slightly increased cost to get accurate mild steel shrouds vs. aluminum. And personally, the wrinkle coating isn't important to me. The texture is barely noticeable on the screen-used prop. And I could apply the texture myself.

Also, I believe someone already volunteered on your parts thread to handle US distribution if you do another run. I would myself, but I'm spending most of my time in South America these days, and am not due back to the States until late October.

Roy
I would be willing to finish my own if possible. Have you considered just selling them unfinished. As far as a US distributer goes I'm sure there is someone you can trust that will step up.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back