Star Trek TOS Communicator from The Wand Company

I like it a lot! Very clever base, too. Perfect for my desk!!

So, while we're on the topic. What's the best deal going on the phaser, now? Did the little bugs get worked out? Seems things were running hot and cold there for a bit.

-Rylo

Last edited:
Wand Company is the best! So great HeroComm is involved with this endeavor.

That close up photo on the Verge site made the inside contours of the comm look really too sharp. Could that be lighting? How do these contours look in person???

Tosfan1

Not real thrilled with the Kydex texture, not real accurate, way to rough. It looks like a muncho's potato chip surface to me. Also the back side seems to have a weird shiny spot in it? I hope they work on the texture a bit more before going into production!

munchos_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Even with the inaccurate texture, it already looks better than every other licensed replica that's come before.
There's a more detailed discussion going on at the TrekPropZone forum. The prototype shown at Comic-con may just be an early version that has many details that are still being refined. The Herocomm.com people are working with Wand Company to assist in maintaining as much accuracy as possible.

The prototype was made using 3D printed shells with a rough approximation of the original Kydex. The final production shells should be better.

I am sure this will be exactly like the Phaser.

The most accurate Licensed Replica ever released. :thumbsup

Sure hope you guys are right, kind of disappointed with the Comicon prototype. It looks like a piece of 80 grit sand paper!
I keep going back and looking at my Wand phaser and saying to myself "it will be OK, look how nice this is!!"

Steve

Again the prototype is just that.
Here is the production plan straight from the horse's mouth.....

"- the shells will be injection moulded ABS rather than vacuum-formed Kydex, as we had to add a lot of internal mechanical details. We're planning to use 3D laser ablation texturing on the mould tools to recreate the original Kydex texture as accurately as possible. For the prototypes, the shells are 3D-printed (from our CAD files) with a hand-made texture approximating the appearance of Kydex. It looks close-ish to the casual observer, but you guys will immediately spot that the prototype's surface texture isn't accurate."

Communicator on the stand

Moire & pieces.

Comparison with Dennis Stines Shells. These Shells are not completed, and have not been trimmed to the correct alpha height.

Rear Shells

An antenna comparison

The antenna is made as a single piece.

Control Panel

Mind the gap

The stand(This will have the same finish as the Phaser Stand. It seperates into two pieces. The nickel slab and and the black stand.)
This prototype is entirely 3D printed.

A pouch that may be included with the communicator was displayed with a printed prototype.

Case exterior. Again, all 3D printed, with a hand-applied finish as a prototype.

Case interior.

3D printed shell. You can see the print lines in some places.

Finally, what you people have been waiting for.
A video of its sound effects.

The exhibit hall was rather noisy, so please excuse the static in the background.

In my previous post, I said that the jewels were 2012. I think now that they are 2055 or the model that comes after the 2012 version. The lights behind the jewels are not super bright.The P1 finish is hand-applied, and will be changed for the injection molded parts. The aluminum mid-band is really simply 3D printed and then painted. Again, it will be die- cast on the final model. This is why the prototype is currently so delicate. The current antenna is the wrong stamping and will be corrected. It is also brass plated, and is not steel. They might make the antenna wider on the final model, in order to incorporate the z-bend, but everything is still to be determined. The moire spacing is also currently wrong. It will be fixed on the finalized model. The speaker is hidden under the moire, and the sound will escape through the gap. The radio grill is from a real transistor radio, the version that they have currently produced was removed because the holes were the wrong size. Everything else had been produced correctly, but the small hole spacing made using the microphone difficult, so they had to switch out their grill with the vintage version. The pouch may or may not be included based on how the price counts up to be. The battery is rechargeable and the comm will use inductive charging to power up. The safety screws on the back will be painted black on the final model. At the moment, The Wand Company only has one functioning prototype, I believe the other one is a dummy for now.

For reference photos of alpha, you can find plenty on the herocomm site.
Thanks to The Wand Company for letting me take these pictures of their prototype! :)

Please don't repost these photos anywhere.
-Bluebox303

In anyone wants to see anymore pictures, or needs any other bit of information, just ask.

Last edited:
I asked the rep at Comic Con if a Tricorder was next. He said that CBS is sponsoring an X-Prize to anyone that can develop a real working sensor Tricorder, and are not interested in talking about licensing a prop replica Tricorder anytime soon. Rats!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back