Mad Men - Season 6

ihs

Anyone else into this show? I'll avoid any spoilers for now, in case anyone DVR'd it, but we thought this was a good kick-off episode for the season. Tied-in with some arcs from last season, and introduced some new stuff.

Nice to see Don and the crew once again. :cool

Incidentally, I didn't see a thread for this; if I missed it with the search engine, please feel free to delete. :)

Don't mind me, replying to my own thread... :lol

Spoilers about 04/14/2013's episode below...

Last night's episode certainly packed a punch, with Pete finally getting caught. It was refreshing to see Trudy stand up so strongly.

Don, Don, Don. His wife's going through an extremely tumultuous time (miscarriage :( ), and all he can think about is heading downstairs. We're just waiting for that lie to get found out as well. Good flashback to his past, though, which certainly at least somewhat begins to explain his preoccupation with fooling around.

Great line by one of our favorites, Ken, calling Heinz Ketchup, the "Coca-Cola of condiments." Nice irony by Don as well, as he's extolling the virtue of loyalty in regard to Heinz whilst ignoring it in his own life.

If no one else is into this show, I'll gladly let this fade away, but thought I'd bump it this week in case anyone else who watches missed it.

I love the show, but I am going to need something big to happen soon. It just seems like more of the same, people drinking, cheating, and making business deals. That kind of drama is why you watch a show like Mad Men in the first place, but other things have to happen as well. Where is Lane when you need him? lol

Love the show. Yea, last night was pretty good. Always loved Trudy and it sounds like she's got her sh** together, and even though Pete doesn't realize it, methinks sometime during this season he's going to realize he screwed up a good thing.

Honestly, I'm a bit over Don's infidelity. Just seems they're beating a dead horse.

Love the show. Never miss an episode.
Peggy now finds herself in don's shoes.
It appears she is about to sell her soul with this betrayal.
She should have told her boss to get bent.

Love the show. Never miss an episode.
Peggy now finds herself in don's shoes.
It appears she is about to sell her soul with this betrayal.
She should have told her boss to get bent.

I've really enjoyed the direction they're taking Peggy so far this season. It seems like she's excited she has this opportunity, but isn't happy there. I'm very intrigued to see how they have her handle the Heinz ketchup arc.

Peggy gave up her baby in favor of her career...do you really think she gives a sit about loyalty to a minor friendship? She's always been the flipside of the Don Draper coin. Watching Pete the weasel get his comeuppance has always been a joy to watch, like when Pryce thrashed his ass. THe flashbacks into Don's youth were VERY reavealing as to his Psyche. Sally is really starting to become a powerful Individual, taking a lot less of her Mom's crap. BTW, someone get January Jones a Jenny Craig membership.

Maybe I'm missing something about the Heinz plot.

Don already said they're staying with Baked Beans and won't touch Ketchup. So really, the guy will look elsewhere for it and will eventually wind up with another advertising agency. Other than SCDP...(Is it just SCD now?) actually having the option to say 'No', I don't see it as a big of a deal Peggy getting it.

How many times have they (Don & company) jumped on an opportunity when they heard a company is unhappy elsewhere through rumors and gossip?

To The Rock-a-who, I agree about Heinz. And as Oneiros said, Peggy's always been "career-first." I was surprised that she seemed reluctant to go after it, especially considering that SCDP was going to leave it alone anyway. Peggy just seems, I guess, confused/unhappy thus far this season. Almost like she got the position she wanted, but now misses what she had.

I liked last night's episode much better than the first two of this season. (I won't add any spoilers to this as I'm sure some of you haven't seen it yet)

But I've always liked Harry and glad I see he got a bit more of a meatier part in this episode as well as his character is developing further.

Peggy and Don storyline just got interesting...(Hopefully I was vague enough)

Finally got a chance to watch last Sunday's episode, and I completely agree with you The Rock-a-who. Wife and I thought it was a tremendous episode, with some old story-lines mixing with new. We loved seeing Harry get some time; I understand he feels he's earned the promotion, but wow, his way of going about asking for it laid the entitlement on pretty heavy. The Joan and secretary's arc was fun, as it's cool to see some development of Dawn's character. And Don/Megan's evening out with "friends?" We were rolling.

As for Don, I was curious how they were going to end the episode. Pick up the penny, give it back to Sylvia and walk away, as he finally realizes the vast levels of hypocrisy in his life? Or continue on with his ways? It would have been cool to see him pick up the penny and end the episode there.

I have a dream...

...this thread will show some activity :)

Another great episode. I think this season is much stronger than season 5 already.

Wow, again Mad Men handles social events without seemingly bashing you over the head with it.

Other shows that do this seems to be written with hindsight of (Using MLK as an example) All the main characters fully and completely understood what he stood for and represented and the characters were always was that shining beacon of light of wisdom, knowing fully the repercussions of MLKs death.

But here with Mad Men, it was handled so well. Not everyone grasped who MLK was and what he represented, some more than others. And we see each character reacting as real people. From Harry worried about pulled ads and loss of revenue, to Joan's awkward hug towards Dawn because 'I guess you're supposed to do that sort of thing when a leader of your people dies', just all-around well done.

Don's confession about being a parent was very moving, as well as his sudden realization that he can actually bond with his son in the movie theater were great touches.

I think that was a "God she's hot, am I a lesbian?" look. That was a fantastic episode. I hope they really punch it up when RFK gets killed. It was an even bigger blow to civil rights than Martin, and Malcolm, and everybody knew it. People all across the US, of all colors and creeds lined up when his body passed by.

Well played by the writers that I was Rooting for Pete for once.

I think that was a "God she's hot, am I a lesbian?" look. That was a fantastic episode. I hope they really punch it up when RFK gets killed. It was an even bigger blow to civil rights than Martin, and Malcolm, and everybody knew it. People all across the US, of all colors and creeds lined up when his body passed by.

Well played by the writers that I was Rooting for Pete for once.

I thought it was a "why are all these white people acting so strange toward me" look.

I can see where Pete was coming from, but I can see Harry's point too. You don't want to just let your business fall apart while getting caught up in what happened. Sometimes you have to suck it up and keep working. His department was in a crisis. I was surprised he didn't punch Pete. He always gets punched.
It was last weeks episode that ruined his chances. He isn't going to get anywhere by trashing Joan.

Agreed with above; I thought this was a great episode. They handled the various reactions to MLK's death spectacularly, and they did a great job showing how vastly different people handle these things. Some want to watch all the news they can get, some want to go to a vigil, some want to go about their life, trying to "ignore" it. Didn't have as many laughs as some episodes (not surprising, given the subject matter), but that didn't detract at all.

We did get a kick out of the creepy guy (Ethan from Lost). Talked to MLK's ghost? :wacko

Had to DVR this week's episode and got a chance to watch it last night.

Spectacular show this week. Potential IPO? Oh my. Understandable that they waited to tell Don, but it was funny that he was so willing to merge the firms so quickly later on. Pete's world keeps spiraling out of control, and he's firing out at everyone around him. How he ever got Trudy in the first place is beyond me, and man, he does not deserve her.

And Peaches. I was rolling during that entire dinner. :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back