Star Wars Anthology (Boba Fett Origin)

While I'm all for exploring different sides of the Star Wars universe (e.g. criminal underbelly), I wish we could start branching out from the OT characters and start making movies (A) unconnected to OT events we already kinda know about, and (B) OT characters we already kinda know about.

They need to start taking more risks and branching out.

I couldn't agree more! I've been saying this for years, that there's an entire galaxy of worlds and thousands of years of civilization in the Star Wars universe. Why do they keep focusing on the same 50 year timeline?! If the powers that be are doing it because it sells, they're selling themselves short on their IP.

Based on how KK has these films going, I sure hope some major shake up happens otherwise we are just going to get more cookie cutter, checking off boxes, bland garbage. I got a free ticket to Solo, and still feel like I overpaid. I didn't get anything out of it. I never laughed, never got goosebumps, and never felt any sense of tension or suspense. The action was fine, but didn't have me on the edge of my seat, and I didn't feel like there were any particularly iconic lines or moments. I walked away more or less thinking "yup, that was a movie", and an extremely mediocre one at that.

Taika Waititi as Boba Fett? Hmmmmm... :wacko
Photo_talks_1527567733793.jpg

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/...standalone-movie-casting-taika-waititi-twitt/

I couldn't agree more! I've been saying this for years, that there's an entire galaxy of worlds and thousands of years of civilization in the Star Wars universe. Why do they keep focusing on the same 50 year timeline?! If the powers that be are doing it because it sells, they're selling themselves short on their IP.

I don't mind things located in the same generally 50-60 year timeline. That's fine by me. Even within that timeframe, there's still a huge galaxy that they could explore. And I get that they want to start with established, familiar characters and/or events before taking real risks. But they can only play in that sandbox for so long before it's going to start suffering from exactly the same kind of myopia that infested the EU and the PT. Oddly enough, the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons have, in my opinion, done the most for really expanding the scope of Star Wars and showcasing different environments, characters, etc.

I mean, I liked the KOTOR comics that Dark Horse put out, especially the original run, but I don't need things to be that far flung from the most familiar, iconic Star Wars era (the OT) to be entertaining. Just, you know, focus on new people and new situations instead of your major characters and their backstories.

Based on how KK has these films going, I sure hope some major shake up happens otherwise we are just going to get more cookie cutter, checking off boxes, bland garbage. I got a free ticket to Solo, and still feel like I overpaid. I didn't get anything out of it. I never laughed, never got goosebumps, and never felt any sense of tension or suspense. The action was fine, but didn't have me on the edge of my seat, and I didn't feel like there were any particularly iconic lines or moments. I walked away more or less thinking "yup, that was a movie", and an extremely mediocre one at that.

I think it's going to be far more difficult to replicate the "goosebumps" experience, though, since a big part of that is due to scarcity of content.

In the old days, you basically had almost no new content. 3 films (and 2 TV movies and 1 holiday special), a couple cartoons that were squarely targeted at the 5-9-year-old crowd, and not much else. Marvel's comics line, the newspaper strips, and a couple of books. By '87, you had the RPG. Then in '91, you got the Zahn trilogy and the true birth of the EU in novels, I'd say. But even with all of that stuff...it was still basically 3 movies. Then you got 3 more movies (only one of which is decent), a cartoon show (which was surprisingly good), a TON more comics and books (most of which I haven't read)....but still, only another 3 movies.

In the last three years, we've had 2/3 of the total movie content, with another film due in another year (2019), assuming they're on-cycle. Plus rumors of a live-action TV show (that seem much more substantive than the previous rumors before the Disney purchase), an entire trilogy, and maybe sequels to the Solo stuff (although that may not end up happening), and God only knows how many more movies.

In large part, I think the sheer sense of awe we might have once had for Star Wars came from the fact that at best you had the three films that you could watch on your 17" television on your VHS player. So, seeing it on the big screen really was awe-inspiring, even when it was a "Han Shot Second" butchering of the original film. Now, with big screen TVs, surround sound systems, and films coming out every year or so, it's a lot harder for each individual film to be impactful, I think.

I've noticed this with Marvel movies. I really enjoy them in the theaters and am fully invested while watching...but I don't -- can't, really -- take them in the same way I could back in the late 90s/early 2000s when there were, like, 4 superhero movies total. They're still good, but they aren't "chills up my spine" inspiring anymore because they're just part of an overall experience.

Let's see, he shows up in ESB, looks cool, and does almost nothing. In ROTJ, ditto, and then he dies like a punk. I see a comedy starring Jim Carey where he bumbles through his adventures, achieving his goals largely by accident. Basically Ace Ventura in outer space:lol

I think it's going to be far more difficult to replicate the "goosebumps" experience, though, since a big part of that is due to scarcity of content.

In the old days, you basically had almost no new content. 3 films (and 2 TV movies and 1 holiday special), a couple cartoons that were squarely targeted at the 5-9-year-old crowd, and not much else. Marvel's comics line, the newspaper strips, and a couple of books. By '87, you had the RPG. Then in '91, you got the Zahn trilogy and the true birth of the EU in novels, I'd say. But even with all of that stuff...it was still basically 3 movies. Then you got 3 more movies (only one of which is decent), a cartoon show (which was surprisingly good), a TON more comics and books (most of which I haven't read)....but still, only another 3 movies.

In the last three years, we've had 2/3 of the total movie content, with another film due in another year (2019), assuming they're on-cycle. Plus rumors of a live-action TV show (that seem much more substantive than the previous rumors before the Disney purchase), an entire trilogy, and maybe sequels to the Solo stuff (although that may not end up happening), and God only knows how many more movies.

In large part, I think the sheer sense of awe we might have once had for Star Wars came from the fact that at best you had the three films that you could watch on your 17" television on your VHS player. So, seeing it on the big screen really was awe-inspiring, even when it was a "Han Shot Second" butchering of the original film. Now, with big screen TVs, surround sound systems, and films coming out every year or so, it's a lot harder for each individual film to be impactful, I think.

And this is why, despite wanting to go see Solo, I just don't feel the sense of urgency that I used to. It was killing me to wait for the Saturday after TFA came out.

Let's see, he shows up in ESB, looks cool, and does almost nothing. In ROTJ, ditto, and then he dies like a punk. I see a comedy starring Jim Carey where he bumbles through his adventures, achieving his goals largely by accident. Basically Ace Ventura in outer space:lol

That would make a great movie. They should get those Lord and Miller guys for that.

Does anyone believe that Disney will take the fan reaction on The Last Jedi, and now the under performance of Solo, into account when creating Episode IX, or even this film?

It is my hope, that as Disney is a business first and foremost - and a very efficient and ruthless one - that they will no way they risk tanking the Star Wars franchise (and all of that associated merchandising money) by putting out a movie that doesn't conform to fan expectations this time after two failures.

And that doesn't mean that Episode IX or Boba Fett has to be "safe" or predictable, but it does mean it has to deliver what fans want to watch.

TLJ wasn’t a financial failure at all but I see what you’re saying.

I think that they’d have to be, they are in all other areas.
It could be as simple as them thinking they were giving fans what they wanted. Star Wars fans are a famously weird bunch, hard to nail down.
There have been a couple of stumbles to be sure but I have no doubt that with the volume of stuff they’re doing, there’ll be something for everyone.

As for Fett, I just want it cool, dirty and morally ambiguous.

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they go Spaghetti western with Fett.
The pacing, the story, and the tone should all feel like an old Clint Eastwood film.
Basically, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly in space.

Very cool. Just going off of what he experiences in AOTC, and his role in The Clone Wars, they have the opportunity to paint him as a morally ambiguous, complex sort that surely is a bit emotionally off-kilter, but merely succeeds in hiding it...most of the time. I really hope they don't see him as an opportunity for constant shoot-em-ups while he's doing "bounty hunter things", and instead choose to really build the essence of this character with lots of quiet nuance and introspection...at least in the first act of the film.

One of my favorite sci-fi movies is "Outland", and I would love to get that sort of moody, character-driven, evenly-paced-to-a-big-crescendo feeling from this. I JUST WANT TO ENJOY A STAR WARS MOVE HELP ME DISNEY

Damn he was a good looking man. Too easy to forget when you don’t watch his early stuff as often as you should.

As a 20-something film buff, I was trying to expose my then girlfriend to some of the older classics. I tee'd up, A Streetcar Named Desire, on the VCR one night, when she inquired who was in it. I said, "Vivian Leigh, who played Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind, but she's older. And Marlon Brando...". She interrupted me, and said, "Oh, the old, fat, bald guy from Apocalypse Now!!". I smiled, knowing she was in for a shock, and answered, "Yeah...that's the guy.". LOL

When Brando first appears on screen, she let out an audible gasp, pulling her hand away from mine, as she stared at the screen in a trance for the next 90 minutes. Lmao!

The Wook

As a 20-something film buff, I was trying to expose my then girlfriend to some of the older classics. I tee'd up, A Streetcar Named Desire, on the VCR one night, when she inquired who was in it. I said, "Vivian Leigh, who played Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind, but she's older. And Marlon Brando...". She interrupted me, and said, "Oh, the old, fat, bald guy from Apocalypse Now!!". I smiled, knowing she was in for a shock, and answered, "Yeah...that's the guy.". LOL

When Brando first appears on screen, she let out an audible gasp, pulling her hand away from mine, as she stared at the screen in a trance for the next 90 minutes. Lmao!

The Wook

Haha that’s awesome. A reminder to keep myself in current condition.

Kowalski, once she saw him she’d never look at you the same!

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wook

Just yesterday I was lecturing a couple of the youngsters at work on Brando in On the Waterfront.

I got, "before my time"! I

'm 41, FFS!! Kids!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back