[Noob] Can someone tell me how the pulley contraption on this Alien mask works? Help!

PvtParts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7t0VywKtKk

I want to create the same sort of mechanism, where in the small action of opening my mouth translates to the same action on the Alien head above.
I think that mouth opening part (not the tongue lol) doesn't require knowledge of servos and all that electronic stuff, but just pulleys.
But can anyone explain how exactly that works?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: [Noob] Can someone tell me how the pulley contraption on this Alien mask works? H

I'm thinking it's a spring action. a spring Is holding the alien jaw shut. when the person opens his mouth he's pulling against the spring to open the mouth.

Re: [Noob] Can someone tell me how the pulley contraption on this Alien mask works? H

excuse the crappy drawing i cannot do the computer thing. the arrow is pointing at the spring. and the guy has a face rig on for his jaw to translate the movement.

Untitled.png

Wow, thank you! That's roughly the idea I had in mind.

But I can't get my head around how his small jaw movement translates to a sort of scaled-up movement on the Alien head.

And I don't know how the string connected to the Alien lower jaw works.

It's not quite as complicated as Sean's drawing, here's a cap from the video.
Alien%20Animatronic%20Mask%20mp4_snapshot_00.12_2015.04.06_21.35.09_zpsujzdvrip.jpg

Looks like a single pulley, attached to the jaw in front of the hinge. The pulley size can convert the pull into a larger or smaller move, like a gear. but it may take more force to make it move.

*edit*

Scratch that. The pulley would need a block and tackle arrangement to adjust the pull, clearly not the case here. It looks like the far placement of the wire to the jaw makes the larger pull. The further out from the pivot point the larger the pull.

There, that should be clear as mud :lol

Last edited:

thanks Rob. your a lifesaver man. and i wouldn't even call what i did a drawing..:lol

@robn1 @sean Can you guys make a diagram of that? I'm not quite sure I get the entire thing yet. :(

I'm pretty much a super noob to building things (and simple machines, apparently).

It looks like its one movement, but the further he opens his mouth the more it shows on the head i.e if he just moves a bit, the lips curl and snarl, if he fully opens the lips still curl and snarl but are overshadowed by the movement of the entire jaw.

I think the wires must be attached to the lip of the head- to make it curl at first, and move the entire jaw move by pulling it further. I think the jaws of the alien head must have sprung pivots at the move point.

If you can get one, or if someone has taken one apart to see how it works, there is actually a line of masks offered by Spirit and other halloween stores that do the same thing (lips pull back before mouth opens) that sell for $25-$37. I tried a quick search to see how that work so I could post a diagram or something, but couldn't find one. You may have more luck than I did though. Here's a few examples:
01107176.interactive.a.jpg01107150.zoom.a.jpg07190572.zoom.b.jpg

The distance and positioning of the wearer's face from the mask's face will make it a little different than these, but possibly not more complicated than just having to add a couple extra pulleys.

There's a second pulley on the right side of his head. how it's controlled i have no clue...

download.png

What's the second pulley above his head for?

Probably used for extending the little mouth.

this is an awesome thread. Ive what these same videos over and over again trying to figure it out. Anyone else found anything on the mechanisms?

I know this is an older thread but I've began working on a xenomorph costume as well. I've got a tail mechanism working and am working on the head. I've got most of it done and am ready to start on the mechanics of it. I've worked out something that may work.

https://www.facebook.com/PR6I6E6ST/posts/10157466027020621

https://www.facebook.com/PR6I6E6ST/posts/10157460641820621

https://www.facebook.com/PR6I6E6ST/posts/10157361865420621

Last edited:

I'm going to rig the second jaw to something inflatable and have a wire pull the little jaws shut when it reaches the extent. The inflatable will be rigged to a tube to my mouth. Just seems like the easiest way to do it with limited space.

Here is my video of using a brake cable. The mouth closes with the help of used condoms on the jaws. Oops, I mean unused...;)
I'm still experimenting on how I'm going to mount it to make it functional.

https://youtu.be/_xRs2Z11RiU

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back