Who's going to be at WonderCon Saturday?

Wearenotlinear

Just curious to see how many people from here will be at WonderCon this weekend. I'll be there Saturday.
Post a reply with a pic of the costume you'll be rocking so we can keep an eye out for the all the great work!

Here's me and my sis (different universes, but it's cool, I'll still let her walk around with me) :)
Both homemade.

Spiderman.jpgJAnwvO.jpg

Hypothetical question (if even in the right section): if I were planning to visit a convention abroad and to bring my custom made suit,what is the process in terms of sending luggage ahead,booking a hotelroom etc., and perhaps even more important: what are the pitfalls to be aware of?

I would love to visit a comic convention in London or in The States,but I have zero experience with this.
I appreciate the feedback ! Thank you all in advance.

I feel you. I'm 30 and this my first year at a convention and first year of Cosplay. I'm a little late to the game :)

I've been going to conventions since 1974, I stopped dressing up a very long time ago. I still build some props, among other things, but carrying around all that weight through the show floor, no thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Hypothetical question (if even in the right section): if I were planning to visit a convention abroad and to bring my custom made suit,what is the process in terms of sending luggage ahead,booking a hotelroom etc., and perhaps even more important: what are the pitfalls to be aware of?

I would love to visit a comic convention in London or in The States,but I have zero experience with this.
I appreciate the feedback ! Thank you all in advance.

It really depends on a lot of factors. I've been to conventions outside of the U.S. but I've never sent anything ahead, I just booked a hotel room the same as I've done anywhere else, showed up with all my stuff and enjoyed the convention. I'm sure that most major conventions have FAQs on what to do if you're coming from outside of their area, plus there are forums that you can ask specific questions for specific conventions on.

@Cephus: I'm asking because some costumes contain parts that might give trouble at the Customs...I'd rather find out up front than on the spot,having paid for everything and already on my way :facepalm

@Cephus: I'm asking because some costumes contain parts that might give trouble at the Customs...I'd rather find out up front than on the spot,having paid for everything and already on my way :facepalm

That's a valid concern but not something you're likely to find out on a forum, you'd have to contact the specific country's customs and see if there is anything that cannot be brought into the country. From what I've seen, some animal products, lots of foods and prohibited artifacts are at the top of the list of things you just can't get through. Is there anything in particular that you're worried about?

This thread seems to have veered...but yes, I agree with cephus. Years of shipping experience tells me that your best bet, whether shipping or bringing thru customs, is contacting customs first.

Last edited:
@Cephus: things such as metal parts (springs/hinges,magnets),batteries; anything that might make them jumpy and send me back with an empty wallet and a ticket in my hand.
@Wearenotlinear: if I were to come to WonderCon,I'd have to know about this,so we're still on topic.Thank you for confirming what Cephus said though.

@Cephus: things such as metal parts (springs/hinges,magnets),batteries; anything that might make them jumpy and send me back with an empty wallet and a ticket in my hand.
@Wearenotlinear: if I were to come to WonderCon,I'd have to know about this,so we're still on topic.Thank you for confirming what Cephus said though.

Some of that you wouldn't be able to get away with as carry-on, but as long as you were up front about whats in there and what its for, should be fine with checked baggage. Id still check long in advance though. Personally, Id bring everything with me instead of shipping. I wouldn't want the package to be delayed or lost. Also, some hotels are iffy about receiving packages for guests. I suppose baggae can be lost too tho.

I'll be stuck at work and Saturday is already sold out.. Anyone gonna be there Saturday that would be able to be a poster buddy for me and get a print (if possible) for me? If you'd be willing to do me a huge favor like that, I'll paypal ya and give you a little extra for the hassle of you want.. Send me a pm if you can help! I'm trying to get one of craig drakes boba Fett prints from the hero complex gallery. They will probably go pretty fast on Saturday.. :/ either way, hope you all have a blast!

None of those things are illegal to bring into the country. You'd have to have them packed in luggage, they wouldn't allow you to wear a costume onto the plane, but so long as you were up front about it, I don't see any problem getting any of those into any country worth going to. While I'm sure you're not going to make Wondercon this year, come on down next year, it's the most fun you can have with 50,000 of your closest friends.

Cephus: By then I should have something custom made ready :D working on the character from my avatar,my very first build: The Beetle MKII.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back