The Last Jedi new prop picture SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

So I don't want to derail this thread, but looking through the Original Prop blog I came across this picture

Rare-LFL-Lucasfilm-Archives-Movie-Prop-Lost-Photos-Star-Wars-Indiana-Jones-Historic-Visit-Origin.jpg

You can see the Hero, and the V3 off to the right, but what is the saber next to Boba's EE-3???

Anyways getting back to the topic at hand, it might be worth noting that the V2 has a beveled step right before the "control box". And since the Hero is a simplified V2, there is the slightest chance it does have a beveled edge.

So I don't want to derail this thread, but looking through the Original Prop blog I came across this picture

View attachment 803467

You can see the Hero, and the V3 off to the right, but what is the saber next to Boba's EE-3???

Anyways getting back to the topic at hand, it might be worth noting that the V2 has a beveled step right before the "control box". And since the Hero is a simplified V2, there is the slightest chance it does have a beveled edge.

That is a icons saber. I asked this question a few years back

Kylo1 have you talked anymore to slothfurnace about Roman's V4 cards? Or are we still looking for more opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Joek3rr I sent him a mail showing your trace colour comparisons and am awaiting for his response. I would guess he wants to have a definite trace colour to go with before doing anything and at the moment only you and I have expressed an opinion on colour. I will send him the measurement of the Romans V4 card when I get home

Another thing to keep in mind: even if the "screen-used" card has 13 traces, one of them is clearly half the size of the others. That's why I like the existing Slothfurnace card, even if it's too long; you have to sand it down and create the thinner trace at the same time.

Oh I agree but the "screen-used" has only the first trace slightly thinner than the rest and with Slothfurnace existing card, you have to trim both ends so you end up with a thinner trace at both ends......apologies but I'm a terrible perfectionist when it comes to this kind of thing

Another thing to keep in mind: even if the "screen-used" card has 13 traces, one of them is clearly half the size of the others. That's why I like the existing Slothfurnace card, even if it's too long; you have to sand it down and create the thinner trace at the same time.

And the last trace seems to be of a different color/sheen

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I agree but the "screen-used" has only the first trace slightly thinner than the rest and with Slothfurnace existing card, you have to trim both ends so you end up with a thinner trace at both ends......apologies but I'm a terrible perfectionist when it comes to this kind of thing

Is that what they call being OCD?:D

And the last trace seems to be of a different color/sheen

- - - Updated - - -

Is that what they call being OCD?:D

Looking at it again, do you think its possible that the screen-used card is actually starting with a black trace and the first darker "13th" trace is in fact the copper top to the control box? So frustrating that its not clear!!!

.......perhaps not!

Last edited:
It's a theory that's been around for a little while now. Frustrating that it's not possible to confirm this, even with HD screen caps.

That being said, if Sloth offered a card with the half-width trace with the different finish, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

It's a theory that's been around for a little while now. Frustrating that it's not possible to confirm this, even with HD screen caps.

That being said, if Sloth offered a card with the half-width trace with the different finish, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Are you still sticking with the traces being copper(ish)? I'm thinking colour is more like Korbanths card now! :facepalm And after taking another close up look, the thinner trace appears to be the same width as the black soldermask

Last edited:
Are you still sticking with the traces being copper(ish)? I'm thinking colour is more like Korbanths card now! :facepalm And after taking another close up look, the thinner trace appears to be the same width as the black soldermask

At this point I think it's just really really hard to say, sooooooooooo much wonky CG has gone into this saber! Just stare at the control box for awhile, it's not square, and the arrows look weird too.

Screen03.png

Now, look at the picture with the added lines. The red is what the edge of the box is doing after the CG pass, the green is what it should look like.

blah.jpg

I'm thinking about sanding down one edge of my slothfurnace card, and then seeing if I can darken the last trace with ageing chemecal. What do you think?

At this point I think it's just really really hard to say, sooooooooooo much wonky CG has gone into this saber! Just stare at the control box for awhile, it's not square, and the arrows look weird too.

View attachment 803981

Now, look at the picture with the added lines. The red is what the edge of the box is doing after the CG pass, the green is what it should look like.

View attachment 803982

I'm thinking about sanding down one edge of my slothfurnace card, and then seeing if I can darken the last trace with ageing chemecal. What do you think?

I was thinking of darkening the first trace too once I have a card that matches haha. What about asking Slothfurnace to make cards ever so slightly longer than the Romans box, with 13 gold traces then you would need to sand down the first trace a touch to fit :cool

- - - Updated - - -

As I don't have access to HD screen caps yet, are there any other shots of the saber in the film that show the control box and card?

I think around 1 hour 19 min there is a shot of the saber coming from Lukes belt after he had looked into Ben Solo's future but my phone isn't clear enough to make it out properly. Can anyone get a clearer shot?

Luke CU.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few quibbles—

CG/CGI implies a 3D asset.
Compositing is the act of combining live assets and CG assets
Keying is greenscreen work
Tracking is locking on to live action objects in frame and using them to determin vectors for movement of a cg asset
Roto’ing is a flat, frame by frame Retouching/enhancing of the image.
AnubisGuard can correct me if I am wrong

But the work being done to the Creepy Uncle is not CG work, it’s roto’ing. I only make the distiction because a 3D model would retain near perfect perspective, while roto work is literally painting over the image using Nuke, Flame, After Effects, or some software ILM made for themselves, If you’ve ever used ther clone/runner stamp tool in photoshop it’s the same idea.

The end result is generally perfect in motion if done by a pro, but when you go frame by frame you can catch tiny bits like the edge of the box, the notch in the buttons, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back