12th Doctor Crombie

The velvet coat was an enormous misstep for Abbyshot. Nobody knows exactly how they stuffed up as badly as they did but it's not indicative of the rest of their line.

I have four of their coats, three from Doctor Who and one from The Matrix, and they're all coats I can and do wear for daily use. Granted, I haven't bought much from them in a few years because their current line up doesn't interest me, so maybe their quality has dropped in that time, I don't know.

If you want beautiful tailoring then do definitely go with Steve Ricks. Man is a master when it comes to coats and frock coats, I also recommend checking out his instagram.

Magnoli here is a pretty close second in accuracy and construction. If Abbyshot has left a bitter taste then either of these two will satisfy you.

The velvet coat was an enormous misstep for Abbyshot. Nobody knows exactly how they stuffed up as badly as they did but it's not indicative of the rest of their line.

I have four of their coats, three from Doctor Who and one from The Matrix, and they're all coats I can and do wear for daily use. Granted, I haven't bought much from them in a few years because their current line up doesn't interest me, so maybe their quality has dropped in that time, I don't know.

If you want beautiful tailoring then do definitely go with Steve Ricks. Man is a master when it comes to coats and frock coats, I also recommend checking out his instagram.

Magnoli here is a pretty close second in accuracy and construction. If Abbyshot has left a bitter taste then either of these two will satisfy you.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yep, I've been following Steve Ricks for a while, but I've struggled with convincing myself to get his work because of the prices he would charge, though those prices are completely justifiable for the quality and the assured fit.

Speaking of which, has he not updated his blogs very much? The last post on the 12th Doctor blog I see is from November 1st. Has he just switched to Instagram?

And voila:

View attachment 555328View attachment 555329

Buttons were a bit of a pain, I sewed them to the original buttons so I didn't have to remove them, leaving enough space so they could slip through the button holes by themselves. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the iTailor jacket as an alternative to the 12th Doctor Crombie, and I would definitely recommend it.
Damn, that is sharp-lookin', my friend! Was debating the whole iTailor scenario, but your pix just convinced me that's the way I need to go! Thanks for posting and reviewing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

And voila:

View attachment 555328View attachment 555329

Buttons were a bit of a pain, I sewed them to the original buttons so I didn't have to remove them, leaving enough space so they could slip through the button holes by themselves. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the iTailor jacket as an alternative to the 12th Doctor Crombie, and I would definitely recommend it.

Though the Capaldi coat is back on at Abbyshot (for a limited time) I'm damn tempted to go this route.

Did everyone go for the European Slim cut or the normal traditional cut for the coat in tailor?

Anyone else have the Smith green coat from Abbyshot? I've always wanted one and have one in my crosshairs....

I bought the green Abbyshot Smith coat (used) a number of years ago, and it's served me well. It's well-made, it looks and feels nice, and is very comfortable. Although a bit larger than I'd prefer, the price was right and I'm still planning to have it tailored (it's warm in TX most of the year, so I don't wear/think about it 'til I have to wear it). It's not something that would keep you warm in freezing temperatures, but it's good enough for those really crisp fall days.

My only complaint is about the buttons. Now, I'm not sure if the SU buttons are metal or plastic, but they're plastic on the Abbyshot, and it cheapens the overall look (they're a dull, brass-ish colour, and obviously ~not~ metal, even from a fair distance). I'd like to either source some affordable replicas or replace them with some nice, ornate brass buttons.

Seeing as Abbyshot aren't making/offering the coat any longer, secondary market will be the place to look. Again, it's good, not great, quality, but if I'd had to pay $300.00 for it, I would've passed and gotten a close alt. If you can find a used one in goid shape for a decent price, I say go for it; otherwise, see if one of the made-to-fit online tailors can help you out.

On a side note, I've pre-ordered the Abbyshot S8/9 Capaldi coat, so I'm anxious to see if they do better this time out than what I've heard their initial run wound up being.

Hope this helps.

Though the Capaldi coat is back on at Abbyshot (for a limited time) I'm damn tempted to go this route.

Did everyone go for the European Slim cut or the normal traditional cut for the coat in tailor?

Anyone else have the Smith green coat from Abbyshot? I've always wanted one and have one in my crosshairs....

I bought the green Abbyshot Smith coat (used) a number of years ago, and it's served me well. It's well-made, it looks and feels nice, and is very comfortable. Although a bit larger than I'd prefer, the price was right and I'm still planning to have it tailored (it's warm in TX most of the year, so I don't wear/think about it 'til I have to wear it). It's not something that would keep you warm in freezing temperatures, but it's good enough for those really crisp fall days.

My only complaint is about the buttons. Now, I'm not sure if the SU buttons are metal or plastic, but they're plastic on the Abbyshot, and it cheapens the overall look (they're a dull, brass-ish colour, and obviously ~not~ metal, even from a fair distance). I'd like to either source some affordable replicas or replace them with some nice, ornate brass buttons.

Seeing as Abbyshot aren't making/offering the coat any longer, secondary market will be the place to look. Again, it's good, not great, quality, but if I'd had to pay $300.00 for it, I would've passed and gotten a close alt. If you can find a used one in goid shape for a decent price, I say go for it; otherwise, see if one of the made-to-fit online tailors can help you out.

On a side note, I've pre-ordered the Abbyshot S8/9 Capaldi coat, so I'm anxious to see if they do better this time out than what I've heard their initial run wound up being.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for much for the info! I've found one on the secondary market for around $200. Supposedly only worn once and in basically new condition. My only concern was the quality and the fact that the seller "doesn't accept returns".

You've solved the quality aspect for me.

I saw a few reviews on Abbyshot's previous S9 coat and it seems that aside from the original problems it was an over all solid coat. Theyy've supposedly corrected the issues "shorter sleeves, better lining placement, etc"

I'd like to order one up, but if I miss out this time I'll just go the iTailor route.

I just received my Allsaints merino mode hoodie and damn is it amazing.

You're very welcome, and if you decide to get it, please post pictures, and let us all know what you think. It's one that I'll keep and definitely bust out when the ethereal Texas winters rear their heads.

I'm looking to get an iTailor S8/9 coat sometime soon as an everyday knockaround, seeing as it can be fairly easily replaced should something happen to it. Also, they offer other colours/fabrics, so I can do alts for fairly reasonable prices.

Also, I just got in touch w/ Baron Boutique, and they said they can build it w/ whatever fabric I send them, so if the Abbyshot is not quite up to expectations, I'll be heading that route. Having the green Abbyshot Smith coat, though, I have good vibes about this new batch of S8/9 coats from them.
Thanks for much for the info! I've found one on the secondary market for around $200. Supposedly only worn once and in basically new condition. My only concern was the quality and the fact that the seller "doesn't accept returns".

You've solved the quality aspect for me.

I saw a few reviews on Abbyshot's previous S9 coat and it seems that aside from the original problems it was an over all solid coat. Theyy've supposedly corrected the issues "shorter sleeves, better lining placement, etc"

I'd like to order one up, but if I miss out this time I'll just go the iTailor route.

I just received my Allsaints merino mode hoodie and damn is it amazing.

Where did you pick it up and for how much? I'm still kinda hesitant to pull the trigger on one of those.

The all saints website actually. I just read on some website that 1 or two of Capaldi's was a Allsaints Mode Merino hoodie. Then I noticed the logo during "Time Heist". I picked up a black one immediately. The Ink Blue one was on clearance and sold out within a day so I didn't get that one.

I like it alot and it has exactly the same drape that I was looking for and couldn't quite replicate with other hoodies. I wore it with a black velvet sports coat I have and it spot on the look.

It's very nice, very black and very thin. I definitely won't be wearing it to work but as a normal, wear when I'm out with the wife hoodie....most definitely. They also have the Clash hoodie which he supposedly also wore at some point.

https://www.us.allsaints.com/men/sweaters/allsaints-mode-merino-zip-hoodie/?colour=5&category=21591

I like your idea of the I-tailor version being a general kick around coat. It's always there and replaceable unlike the Abbyshot versions, etc. Whereabouts from Texas are you? I grew up in Wichita Falls and have lived in Fort Worth, Houston and Galveston. Through an odd twist of fate, I now live in New England and hope to move as soon as I damn well can back to Texas.

Last edited:
The all saints website actually. I just read on some website that 1 or two of Capaldi's was a Allsaints Mode Merino hoodie. Then I noticed the logo during "Time Heist". I picked up a black one immediately. The Ink Blue one was on clearance and sold out within a day so I didn't get that one.

The Ink Navy one has come back a couple of times after selling out before, so you may luck out with that one eventually. There was also a third one in Puce that showed up in "Smile," but that color was discontinued back around the time Capaldi's first Christmas Special aired. I lucked out on that one - got it on clearance then because I liked the style, but was too cheap to pay full price for the black one.

The Ink Navy one has come back a couple of times after selling out before, so you may luck out with that one eventually. There was also a third one in Puce that showed up in "Smile," but that color was discontinued back around the time Capaldi's first Christmas Special aired. I lucked out on that one - got it on clearance then because I liked the style, but was too cheap to pay full price for the black one.

Thanks for the tips! I definitely wouldn't mind one or two more of the colors he wears. I enjoy the rust/red color variation and maybe one day it will come back. They are a bit too pricey and because of the cost it will be hard for me to justify buying another one. Especially because of my line of work, I could easily tear them up, so I can only wear them on the weekends.

Thanks for the tips! I definitely wouldn't mind one or two more of the colors he wears. I enjoy the rust/red color variation and maybe one day it will come back. They are a bit too pricey and because of the cost it will be hard for me to justify buying another one. Especially because of my line of work, I could easily tear them up, so I can only wear them on the weekends.

Sometimes you do get a decent deal when they go on clearance, and there was one last year that was close to the puce. I've got the puce, ink navy, and the racing green Clash hoodie from All Saints (which showed up briefly in The Pilot). I've found that they do get worn in my everyday rotation.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back