Solo: A Star Wars Story

Which is why it’s a lose, lose, lose scenario for any studio. Make a character gay, they are pandering. Mention a character may be gay but it’s not realized on screen, they are giving lip service. Have no gay characters and they are homophobic. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Well, you've conveniently missed the one option that does work. Cast a gay actor to play the part. That is not pandering. It not lip service. It's not homophobic.

I have nice things :p

Right, but I'm saying what prompted the question? What's the on-screen evidence? I gather there's something where he banters flirtatiously with a droid, but I mean, maybe he's just flirty?

We don't know for sure, we haven 't seen the film yet. But something onscreen prompted it. Apparently, Lando's jealous, feminine droid outs and bittches at Lando for flirting with Han.

It strikes me that the question likely was asked, the writer had never considered it, really, says "Huh. Yeah, I guess he could be pansexual. Sure," and cue the outrage machine. This all seems a tempest in a teapot.

Um, no, he had thought about it, clearly. Kasdan goes on to say, that not only is Donald Glover's Lando gay, but so is Billy Dee William's Lando.

And there were no doubt discussions about it with Glover during the film's production, and perhaps earlier.

The whole thing makes me sick.

The Wook

Meh. I still think this is much ado about nothing, and I reject the notion of ZOMG THEY'RE TRYING TO INJECT THEIR POLITICALLY CORRECT SJW AGENDA INTO MUH MOVIES!!! It's an offhand comment from the writer that (I'm gonna guess) has no bearing on the film. Again, like the "Dumbeldore was gay" comment. Ok. Cool. Don't care. It had zero impact on the story.

That said, in general terms, I think representation is really, really important, and I'm broadly for it. As far as expanding established character backgrounds, I don't actually care as long as it isn't contradicted by what we see on film. (E.g., if Luke turned out to be gay, my problem wouldn't be that he was gay, but rather that we see in the first two movies that he seems really -- creepily -- attracted to Leia, so there's direct evidence to contradict the new position. But at a baseline -- aside from the contradictory info -- I don't have a problem with Luke being gay.)

I used to get a lot more worked up about this stuff, but I've come to feel that representation is ultimately more important than my own sense of the preciousness of the IPs I enjoy. Although I understood it intellectually, for me, the really visceral experience that brought home how and why representation is important was how I felt walking out of Black Panther, and realizing that people who aren't straight, white guys pretty much have that same experience in about 90% of the movies they see.

We don't know for sure, we haven 't seen the film yet. But something onscreen prompted it. Apparently, Lando's jealous, feminine droid outs and bittches at Lando for flirting with Han.

Um, no, he had thought about it, clearly. Kasdan goes on to say, that not only is Donald Glover's Lando gay, but so is Billy Dee William's Lando.

And there were no doubt discussions about it with Glover during the film's production, and perhaps earlier.

The whole thing makes me sick.

The Wook

Pansexual - not gay. keep to the facts.

Pansexual - not gay. keep to the facts.

giphy.gif

If X character is in there that will be beyond ludicris. Whether the cartoon is canon or not it's still a stupid idea.

As far as Lando being pansexual that's stupid too. I mean unless the character's sexuality is relevant to the story which its not then what's the point of even including it?

Never before has Star Wars been concerned with any of the characters sexuality before, I thought the story was about wars in the stars?

Same goes for gender, race etc. If it's relevant to the story, include it. If not then don't worry about it. Why are these people inserting identity politics into a space fantasy?. That was never the point.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back