Tron Legacy Costume

True. But the helmet shape is pretty close. Take a look here:

1895-trontrailer1a.jpg

1896-trontrailer1b.jpg

Just slap some lights on there.

And here's another website with some other hang gliding helmet models, similar to the first.

Last edited:
I can't believe it actually says this in the product description for the disc...

"Throw this Identity Disk at friends and watch them "derez" in pain!"

LOL!

Don't toy companies usually put warnings that say the opposite?

Yeah, a person who I know that works for Spin Master said that they didn't write that...the website did. I don't think Spin Master is too happy for them doing that LOL.

Also, there's another identity disk avaliable too. It doesn't have glow-in-the-dark paint and no sounds and lights like the deluxe version but it's cheaper and you can throw it like a real frisbee.

I can't believe it actually says this in the product description for the disc...

"Throw this Identity Disk at friends and watch them "derez" in pain!"

LOL!

Don't toy companies usually put warnings that say the opposite?

Wait, so the deluxe version has GITDark paint instead of lights? Or does it have both?

Russ

I believe just LED lights. I'm going to directly quote "wheat king", the dude from Spin Masters, who's been talking to the Tron fans on Tron-Sector.com:

[About the regular identity disk] Unfortunately, it does not glow in the dark. This was a bummer to myself and everyone else working on the toy line. But, it does fly quite well.

Also, the Deluxe Identity Disc is a bit smaller...it is the exact size of the props used in the Tron Legacy movie. The Identity Disc is larger for flight purposes.

Unfortunately, these things often come down to cost (No glow in the dark-Basic Disc) & safety issues (not a flying toy-Deluxe Disc). You'd be surprised how expensive it would have been to adhere to modern Glow-in-the-dark safety standards while also

a.) molding the entire disc in glow-in-the-dark plastic
or
b.) painting large portions with glow-in-the-dark paint.

In the end, a 'frisbee' isn't meant to be played with in the dark anyway, so everyone involved agreed that this was the best path to go down while still offering a flying Disc at a reasonable price point. I think both discs are good items, they just have very different purposes.

The good news is, what was shown at Comic Con isn't the end of line for Tron toys.

Sorry if any of that sounds like something a 'company-man' would say, just trying to give you some insight as to why certain decisions are made. We want awesome toys too

Here's an image comparison of the two discs (deluxe is on the left, regular is on the right):
48596297083ab1850ff5b.jpg

To answer Annisse's question about the baton: I think it should be retractable. It's more of a toy though than a replica. It has a mini light cycle inside it that launches out of the end when you press a button on the baton. Nevertheless, I think it would still work great with the costume. Just remove the little light cycle.

I want to know how well that frisbee/flying ring flies. They aren't selling any of these until October right?

I did a little more digging on costume info. Looks like it was Quantum Creations FX that did the costumes. Has anyone tried contacting them with questions as of yet? I'm thinking about it - POST YOUR QUESTIONS in case I get through to someone and I'll try and get answers to them.

I'm trying to think of some intelligent questions but its late and I'm going to think about it some more in the morning. :)

I want to know how well that frisbee/flying ring flies. They aren't selling any of these until October right?

I did a little more digging on costume info. Looks like it was Quantum Creations FX that did the costumes. Has anyone tried contacting them with questions as of yet? I'm thinking about it - POST YOUR QUESTIONS in case I get through to someone and I'll try and get answers to them.

I'm trying to think of some intelligent questions but its late and I'm going to think about it some more in the morning. :)

Yeah, it should be around October when they get released. I'm hoping some of the toys start coming out sooner (maybe around late August), but alas this is just wishful thinking.

If you do contact Quantum FX, tell them I want to know what were some of the materials/fabrics (and found items, if possible) that they used for the costumes (both standard program gladiator armor and civilian clothing). Thanks.

yes, please ask them who designed the hexagon 3D print, the underbody fabric of their costumes and who we can contact to get our hands on it. Maybe also ask what material was used to make the rubber armour of their suits.

Coo! Thx! good luck! Hope someone from the company replys back to you!

~A

i think im gonna get the deluxe and pull out the sound and lights only to replace them with more and stronger lights so i can try to achieve a more even and white glow

and as for the Baton, well now i know what it does. the stupid description says it transforms
but thats it, its not like it says what it transforms into or if it lights up or has sounds
but non the less it looks about the right length and looks cool to
so ill definitely get one instead of trying to make one

I see from this I will have to custom make my Rinzler Helmet.
I just wish there were more pictures of his helmet from the side or back.

There are several skydiving helmets Ive used in the past that closely resemble the TRON styl helmets.

Check www.para-gear.com for full face models.

With some modification and a tinted visor I could see these easily resemble the pictures shown above.

FREEZR MK2
COOKIE GAS
Z1
OXYGN
BONEHEAD MAMBA

If you see one you think will work, dropzone.com has a classifieds section, with (sometimes) very cheap second hand offers on these helmets.

David - here's the URL: Helmet Icaro 2000 model Grid integral

Hey check your Private Messages - I have an unrelated question about licensing I sent you.

Happy to help!

Thanks for the link. Now that I've seen the front of the helmet I've chosen to go in a different direction. I do however love the side profile look of this helmet.

Regarding licensing, and lately we're getting a lot of similar questions...there isn't really a whole lot we can add to what's already posted on their website. I've done my best to address what we can but the reality is that it's not easy to answer specific questions. The product, requirements and certifications needed to even begin the negotiations are outlined on Disney's website.
:thumbsup

David

I see from this I will have to custom make my Rinzler Helmet.
I just wish there were more pictures of his helmet from the side or back.

I think so, too. I haven't been able to find any pictures of the back of the helmet, but most side pics give a good impression of what it looks like.

Thanks for those AWESOME high res pics of the Rinzler helmet, YenChih Lin!

1897-rinzlerhelmetstudy.jpg

Thanks for the info, David! Show us the pics so we can see what helmet you went with in the end!

I don't think so - there's no ridge line on top, and all other pics show a line/crease/whatever. I think its either an earlier version or a photoshop thing.

Thanks for the info, David! Show us the pics so we can see what helmet you went with in the end!

I think we'll be using this one...

asLF.jpg

It's got a cool basic shape about it that sorta kinda relates to the movie helmets.
Seeing as we're not producing helmets, only the costumes...our choice of helmet is really a matter of cool looking fit to our replica suits.

David

Here's a pic of the back of Rinzler's helmet. You can see his back circuitry too here. I'm thinking Rinzler maybe the easiest to make circuitry-wise.

NZJY5.png

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back