Iron Man Questions

The14thDr

Sr Member
This time I am really, genuinely, honestly considering a proper Iron Man build. I've tried (and failed) in the past because I've tried to make custom suits without Pepakura and it all just becomes too much work and in the end I have to give up. For my first ever costume build I want to go down the route of the Mk.42/43 (I still haven't decided which colour scheme to go with).

1. The first dilemma I've come across is which files to use. As far as I know there are two sets of Mk.42 files on this forum: Helagak's and Jackieisrockin's. Which one is the best?
2. Also, which type of file should I use? I'm planning to use corrugated cardboard for this suit, but should I be using the foam files or the paper files?
3. This one is partly for fun, partly for curiosity. Is it possible to make the folding version of the suit? I don't mean the fully-compressed-flying-at-high-speeds-before-forming-around-your-body but would something similar be achieved easily?
4. What files should I use for the hands? I've noticed that they're not included in Helagak's files but I'm assuming that all the suits used the same gloves?
5. Is there a cheap way to make the light-up repulsors/arc reactor/eyes?

------ The14thDr ------

Last edited:
I have another question to add to the ones above. (I hope I'm not getting annoying with all these questions).

6. I haven't actually printed any files yet, but when I've looked at them on Pepakura Viewer, I don't seem to see any tabs on the edges of the pieces? How do I know where to glue each part?

Last edited:
This is just my opinion and I mean no offense to the foam builds, but since you want to do a "proper Iron Man build" as you say, I would stay away from foam. They look good in pictures and are more comfortable at cons, they also feel easier to make, but up close in person they look sub par (to put it nicely). They don'kt look like they just walked off the screen like the fiberglass/vacuum formed suits do. I've yet to be impressed by a foam build in person. Cardboard, sintra, paper, whatever you choose that will be reinforced with fiberglass and smoothed with a filler will always look better than foam (IMHO) if finished properly. You can use the foam pep unfolds to make the suit out of cardboard. The paper unfolds sometimes include more thickness details that are not needed when building with sintra or cardboard. So, if you want the simpler foam unfolds but a slick finish I would go that route. Helagak's and Jackieisrockin's files are both great. I'm building a sintra MK 43 now and in comparing the files they both look great. I have noticed that Jackieisrockin's unfolds tend to lend themselves better to cardboard/sintra. I am, however, using Helagak's files because I like the overall look to his suit and I want to do something a little different than JayCVenlo's current AMAZING sintra build. He is using Jackieisrockin's files IIRC , so I used Helagak's when I started my build just to do something a little different. Either way you can't go wrong with Helagak or Jackieisrockin's files.

Lastly, folding suit?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna go down the cardboard route anyway, but I was just wondering which type of file to use.
And with regards to +Fetts.Sobriquet's question, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a folding suit because I'm an inventive builder and I wanted to try somethin that had never been done before.

As for the suit I'm building, I might try the Mk.7 instead of the Mk.42 because in my opinion it looks more like the 'DEFINITIVE Iron Man' and looks more badass. :)
I also think it might be more creative and inventive for me to make a folding Mk.7.

I think there may be some misunderstanding here. I don't actually mean the suit will fold away and then open up with motors and stuff. I just want a simple system where the arms and legs, etc. fold away into the torso section. Sorry if I'm not making any sense here. Hopefully you'll know what I mean when I start the actual suit and make a thread.

You'd have to cut the limbs into a lot of panels and devise a way to take them apart and reassemble them with some structural integrity and without have obvious seam lines. I don't think you'd really be able to fit the volume of the arms and legs in the torso, especially without ruining the paint job.

Okay. I've been trying to come up with some decent blueprints on how to make the suit fold up, but so far no ideas. Then again, I suppose I can build the suit and then try and work it out from there.
Speaking of which, I tried to print the Pepakura templates for the forearm but my printer wasn't responding apparently, so I've had to work on my arc reactor for the time being. Hopefully I'll try and get the printer fixed soon, as I want the first arm done by the Easter weekend.

*EDIT: Fixed the printer, but now it needs more ink. Somehow I have a feeling that my printer doesn't want me to build this suit.:p*

Last edited:
Okay, this one isn't a question, but an idea that will help other builders.

In the movies, as the chest plate is moved into place above the arc reactor, the unibeam lights up when it makes contact with Tony Stark's chest. My idea is to put a magnet or a piece of metal (I can't remember which one it is) in your arc reactor (the one under your shirt) and then fit a reed switch into the suit's unibeam. If my basic knowledge of reed switches is correct, as the suit is placed over your chest, the magnetic pulse of the magnet would turn on the reed switch and therefore the unibeam.
Is this correct? Or am I totally wrong?

Okay, this one isn't a question, but an idea that will help other builders.

In the movies, as the chest plate is moved into place above the arc reactor, the unibeam lights up when it makes contact with Tony Stark's chest. My idea is to put a magnet or a piece of metal (I can't remember which one it is) in your arc reactor (the one under your shirt) and then fit a reed switch into the suit's unibeam. If my basic knowledge of reed switches is correct, as the suit is placed over your chest, the magnetic pulse of the magnet would turn on the reed switch and therefore the unibeam.
Is this correct? Or am I totally wrong?

You could either use a reed switch or a hall effect sensor if you're going to be using an arduino to tie it into anything else. Hall effect sensors work just about the same as reed switches except that they have to be powered and coded, looking at the reed switch, I won't think you need to anything other just apply the magnet since they are non-powered. Plus I don't how close you'd have to get the magnet to the reed switch. I put a hall effect switch in my Mark 42 forearm and got a rare earth magnet to trigger it almost an inch or so away.

Cool. I'm just speculating at the moment, as I want to build an Iron Man Mk.43 suit some time soon. Then I'd like to add loads of electronics, so that will really help. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
I'm making a suit and I've tried foam in the past. The sealing didn't go so well though...
I still have a very bland looking war machine on my bedroom floor...

I would recommend using sintra and foam pep files. I've had some better luck with that than foam.
I think cardboard is difficult to keep smooth and not creased. It also might go a little soggy?
I also tried card stock and it was too flimsy for me to fiberglass into the correct shape.
Just speaking from personal experience here; feel free to proove me wrong! :)

Going to finish my suit when Uni breaks up for the Summer! Actually really excited... :p

Best of luck!!

P.S. I chose the 43 'cos I like more red than gold :)

Last edited:
Thanks Daleacre! Good look with your War Machine costume. I'd like to build that suit myself at some point in the near future, but I'll have to see how well my Iron Man project goes first.

What do all you guys use for the joints in your suits, ie. In the elbows and knees so that they pivot when you move?

Try the search bar there are loads of progress threads detailing how everything was attached, just choose the one that suits you best, I believe there even kits on offer in the junkyard for a few suits.

Try the search bar there are loads of progress threads detailing how everything was attached, just choose the one that suits you best, I believe there even kits on offer in the junkyard for a few suits.

Thanks stigmorgan. I'll give that a try and hopefully I'll be able to start my suit soon.

Psicorp7: Thanks for the links. So far this part seems like the most difficult part to find research for, as mobility in the elbows and knees isn't really covered in many build threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back