ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

As anavos has cancelled international shipping , North America only apparently ... does this indicate a downgrading of their license from Disney ? Or are they ready to go bust ?

Could simply mean they don't want to deal with it. They didn't intially, added some, everyone constantly complained it was too much, etc.

There hasn't been a licensed company that hasn't had issues either. I don't think they all had no idea how to handle the manufacturing process or were incapable of hiring people who knew how to handle it. Clearly implies it's not them, it's another part of the process.

That sounds wonderful. It sounds like you're very much like me in a sense. I was always a Darth Vader guy and spent all sorts of time and effort to get that one right. Like yourself I suspect, I got a respectable costume together and then, over time, switched out a piece here and there to make it perfect. I'd say it was about ten years but it was fun to work on. I ended up with a movie level/ movie size display piece and also (because of the eventually rejected parts) a costume for myself with lifts that works fairly well. I should post some images here. But the length of time was almost a plus because I enjoyed working on it and getting it "right" - like a painting. But in Vader there is no way to hang out or socialize. I have an Indiana Jones for that but I have worn that to everything for the last ten years. I'm 50. And Kylo is like having a Vader type outfit that I can actually hang out in and socialize. Or participate in some kind of Star Wars event. What sucked last year was someone of perfect size 6'7" wearing my Vader outfit while I stood around in jeans and a ballcap to help him out. I took pictures for people and had all the kids pose with him while I ate sand. There were two OT troopers and one First Order (without Kylo).

The point of Anovos was to provide structure and licensing to all of this. They do not have "other" jobs which prevent fan producers from delivering on time. Some folks here are saying that all of the delays and deceit are SUPPOSED to get carried into the officially licensed arena. I do not hear you saying that, Inquisitor, but others are. I just feel that you have gotten very wise about the whole thing and derive excitement from your own projects. I miss working on my own projects. Maybe down the road.

Costuming has always been a completely different thing for me than most of that other stuff. Socializing, appointments, school, work, family... There are no stakes for costuming, though. And even when I'm doing a lot of the work myself, I don't think I have any where I've been able to do all of it myself. Hell, sometimes it takes me years to source the right fabrics and acquire them. Chris Trevas stumbling on a cache of Cold War era British Civil Defense radiation dosimeters was the only way I was likely ever going to get accurate code cylinders. I'm still trying to ID parts for my Merr-Sonn blaster.

Then there are vendor issues. SkyGunBro had some seriously rough patches, as did DL, as did MC, as did Gio, etc., etc. In my experience, the vendors who never have any hiccups are so rare as to be astonishing. Occasionally there are other issues. Once, I was saving up to get a set of Stormtrooper armor from RT-MOD. He had told me he needed until January to clear his queue, but he'd put my name down. So I spaced out my budget to make sure I had enough come January to order it. Then he e-mailed me in November saying a couple people had backed out and I could go ahead and order. I said I wasn't ready yet -- I was scheduling for January, sorry for the inconvenience, I don't mind moving to the back of the queue to let someone else have the slot, even if it means waiting until after January to order. Never heard back. Gave him a year. Finally re-initiated contact and tactfully said I still wanted his armor and I felt like I was being punished for not being ready months in advance of when he'd said he'd be ready for me to order.

So this is far from the first time I have had a lag of years in getting stuff for costumes. I dearly want my FOTK while it is still a current and relevant thing in the pop culture. I don't know how much milage the First Order will get after Episode IX. Yeah, OT Stormtroopers are still popular, but still. My benchmark is probably my Royal Guard. I knew as soon as I found out about the 501st I was going to have to do one. I'd fallen in love with them in '83. That was in late '01... My rough draft is pretty good, and wearable, but I still need to acquire the correct fabric, revise the inner robe, finish my suede gloves, finish the jumpsuit and armor from Force Unleashed for the inner layer under the robes, etc. I've been wanting it done-done for a good decade.

Hey, LTsmash - thanks for the input. And I am just writing back, not attacking or anything. Myself, I suspect Anovos reads some of this so that is why I keep it alive. I know they get cancellations and such and it is important for them to know why. But when you said, "I don't understand why this is so hard," I agree with you. You are not understanding where I am coming from. And I guess it is this - why am I buying this costume in the first place? It is not to put on a mannequin or into storage. So what is left? At the time I ordered from Anovos, 2.5 years ago, none of this was known. And Anovos has, with seeming certainty, slated delivery windows that seem believable. And yes, being truly stupid, I believed them - in the same way a beaten dog gingerly wags its tail when their master is in a good mood. Yes, stupid. When Anovos says (over a year ago) that Kylo is "nearing the end of production" I felt, "okay, nice, here we go." And now, most recently, they FLAT OUT SAID it had ended production and had only to arrive to their fulfillment center before shipping out in March and April. I know that some of the people there (not all) are eager to get these items to the customers. So I fell for it again. I did. My problem is that I am trying to preserve some of the enthusiasm I have for common ground with my friends when they have time to make really cool outfits and I do not. That is why it is hard.

I have learned what you say though. Only now do I know it though. I will probably never order from them again. And I will for sure never pre-order. They willfully deceive in order to stave off cancellations and I was not prepared for that.

But I have cancelled things since.

Thanks again for your input.

I do believe they read it.

I don't understand why this is so hard. If you don't want to wait, either don't order from Anovos or only order when something is in stock. If enough people stop ordering from them then they'll have to change their business practices. There's no point in clogging up the thread with arguments back and forth complaining about the wait for stuff when it's a well known issue with them. If you already have money down, then get a refund. I've ordered several things from Anovos and I'm totally satisfied with what I received. The delays weren't bad for the two things I preordered, but since I know it's an issue, I wouldn't order again unless something was in stock. It's pretty simple.

Also, with a few exceptions (Relicmaker, Luke 0312, and Peter74 come to mind), most of the independent builders I've bought from have had plenty of delays too. I don't like making people wait for stuff, so personally, I don't offer something for sale unless I have it in hand and ready to go, but a lot of the hobby doesn't work like that. I understand why. It can be expensive to make a lot of this stuff and having it sit around for months without being sold ties up funds. I get it. So either accept it and be willing to wait, or don't, and find somebody who will sell it to you now. Complaining about the wait times isn't really doing anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Could absolutely be the case! Except that, by now, they know about the involvement of that third party and are either only still ignorant or knowingly deceitful in not including those delays into their precious shipping calendar.

As far as Kylo goes they had to start over - I am 99% certain. And they are fighting tooth and nail to hide this fact.

Could simply mean they don't want to deal with it. They didn't intially, added some, everyone constantly complained it was too much, etc.

There hasn't been a licensed company that hasn't had issues either. I don't think they all had no idea how to handle the manufacturing process or were incapable of hiring people who knew how to handle it. Clearly implies it's not them, it's another part of the process.

Their shipping options included usps at a very good price to Australia. About 1/5th of the price of efx. So I doubt there was complaining there. I bought a death trooper helmet and I'll see if I can find the receipt. I'm sure it was $90US tracked and insured and came within 3-4 days.

Ben

I hate to say it, but I had to order those rogue one style imperial cog patches. A prospective new 501st member got one and had brought it with him to the con over the weekend, and I have to admit they look way better in person than the photos on anovos's site. I'm working on a custom imperial officer-style uniform and felt they would look pretty nice on them. Took advantage of that sale they were doing, so didn't pay full price...We talked about it though, they're still pricey as hell, but we feel they really missed a good opportunity to sell them in pairs at a reduced price VS $35 each, sold by themselves

anovos cog 2.jpg

anovos cog 1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! As long as they are in stock you should be okay.

I hate to say it, but I had to order those rogue one style imperial cog patches. A prospective new 501st member got one and had brought it with him to the con over the weekend, and I have to admit they look way better in person than the photos on anovos's site. I'm working on a custom imperial officer-style uniform and felt they would look pretty nice on them. Took advantage of that sale they were doing, so didn't pay full price...We talked about it though, they're still pricey as hell, but we feel they really missed a good opportunity to sell them in pairs at a reduced price VS $35 each, sold by themselves

View attachment 824986

View attachment 824987

I'm still sticking with vinyl for the shoulder patches, but one of these for the chest of a letterman's jacket? Yes. Now if they'd do a big back patch in the same technique...

Received shipping notification for my Ghostbusters pack frame.

I received the pack itself last Fall around Halloween, so it'll be good to have the frame to go with it...

Sean

The STAR WARS AT-AT™ Pilot Helmet Accessory Kit has just been cancelled .. I'm fairly disappointed as I had it on preorder .. always wanted one and the price was really good! Looks like they didn't have enough interest in this which is very surprising as not many offered that helmet through they years (I know D Laws did but the wait time always turned me completely off).

Looks like I'll get my money back with a useless 20% rebate! Oh well!

That sucks. At least they sucked it up and told you. Many customers are still in the dark and not even allowed to ask questions. Truly truly.

The STAR WARS AT-AT™ Pilot Helmet Accessory Kit has just been cancelled .. I'm fairly disappointed as I had it on preorder .. always wanted one and the price was really good! Looks like they didn't have enough interest in this which is very surprising as not many offered that helmet through they years (I know D Laws did but the wait time always turned me completely off).

I'm sure there's interest; it's just people don't want to give Anovos money and wait years before they get around to actually making the product. The public is finally catching on to their game.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back