The Force Awakens Stormtrooper Electrostaff

Pacman117

What's up fellow Star Wars nerds. Anyone starting a build for the electrostaff thing that the stormtrooper fights Finn with? I haven't seen anything on it so far, including a lack of good reference. If anyone has any good reference pics or has a build started for this, please share here! Thanks!

He is known as TR-8R lol

image.gif

What is the purpose of that weapon? I thought it was strange the stormtroopers would carry a weapon that can be used against lightsabers. It's not like lightsabers were common at that time.

Personally I think they made that thing way to big/bulky. You can see how slow the guy moves it in the movie. Very poor design IMHO.

Just bought the visual dictionary from Barnes and Noble. Tons of great reference! There is in fact a good picture of the Riot Baton. I will post a pic later today if I can for you guys.

Updated this post. Here is a pretty decent picture of the Riot Baton
Z6RCB-VD.jpg

Last edited:
One thing that has always bugged me is this: does the shaft swivel open or extend?

Pretty sure it swivels. You can see the rod or pivot point in the picture above. Doesn't look like it slides from what I can see. I saw that someone had built one from PVC pipe and theirs swiveled.

Currently building one myself. Id love to figure out a latch mechanism to keep it closed and button activated but I got nothing thus far.

I have the bones of one started, still trying to brainstorm on a latching and release mechanism... View attachment 573610

I'd suggest a push button on top of the handle connected (via a pivot point in the tee fitting) to a simple latch at 'business' end of the baton.
If you watch the youtube clip (on Bluedynno's post) you'll see he's attached a strap to the pivot point. The pin, he's used for holding the strap, could also be used to be held by the latch.

Here's a quick sketch of what I meant of the latch in my previous post. Please excuse the crudeness.

If you put a latch on either side of the electrode pivot then you could also use it to control the rotation of the electrode pivot (stop it bouncing back).

Based on recently released images of Riot Stormtrooper action figure and online ref images I was able to build a 3d model of the Z6 Riot Control Baton (preview attached).
While making the research I noticed one thing - there is a difference in gap between both top and bottom arms in locked/open position. They are much more closer to each other when the baton is closed. In my opinion arms not only swivel 180 deg, but slides vertically apart.

SWTFA_TR8R_Riot_Control_Baton_mellowmind 003.jpgSWTFA_TR8R_Riot_Control_Baton_mellowmind 004.jpg

Based on recently released images of Riot Stormtrooper action figure and online ref images I was able to build a 3d model of the Z6 Riot Control Baton (preview attached).
While making the research I noticed one thing - there is a difference in gap between both top and bottom arms in locked/open position. They are much more closer to each other when the baton is closed. In my opinion arms not only swivel 180 deg, but slides vertically apart.

View attachment 573941View attachment 573944

For this to work - the arms would have to split apart before rotating 180 deg.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back