TCM and Bonhams announce Hollywood Auction for November 23rd, 2015

Per a press release I received Bonhams Auctions and Turner Classic Movies will be holding their “Treasures From The Dream Factory Auction“, Monday, November 23rd in New York. The auction will feature Hollywood memorabilia and so far, Bonhams/TCM has announced the following preview items from the auction:

A Judy Garland worn “Dorothy” dress from “The Wizard Of Oz”. Est: US$ 800,000 – 1.2 million

Several screen worn Marilyn Monroe dresses

Steve McQueen’s Racing Suit made for his character, Michael Delaney, in Le Mans. Est: US$ 200,000 – 300,000

Herman Mankiewicz’s “Rosebud” sled (not a screen used, original), gifted to him at the end of principal photography for “Citizen Kane”. Est: US$ 100,000 – 200,000

A Golden Ticket from “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”. Est: US$ 10,000 – 15,000

Last edited:
Nice value on the sled that does not even resemble the film used or contest one. The description makes it sound like it was a production made piece left over, but of the same ilk as what we see on screen, but it is completely different. I like the history, but think it might struggle to find a new home at that price level.

Rosebuds.png

Last edited:
Nice value on the sled that does not even resemble the film used or contest one. The description makes it sound like it was a production made piece left over, but of the same ilk as what we see on screen, but it is completely different. I like the history, but think it might struggle to find a new home at that price level.

View attachment 505065

View attachment 505065

You're right about the vague description Rick, and I agree with your sentiments. Hopefully Bonhams/TCM will make it clearer in the final auction draft.

They did verify the sled wasn't used for, or from the film, when I called them to ask.

They have a preview online; that sled has a name, Webb, and a date of 1840 on it, which may mean it is an antique sled given to Mank but not made by RKO. Also, the Rosebud logo does not resemble the film used one. I thought it would have been inscribed by Welles and cast to Mank, if given as a post production gift.

rose.pngcanvas.png

They have a preview online; that sled has a name, Webb, and a date of 1840 on it, which may mean it is an antique sled given to Mank but not made by RKO. Also, the Rosebud logo does not resemble the film used one. I thought it would have been inscribed by Welles and cast to Mank, if given as a post production gift.

View attachment 506929View attachment 506931

I noticed that too Rick when I saw their description. It was so obvious it wasn't even close to the film used/created one.

As mentioned previously, I'm sure Turner Classic Movies and Bonhams will be more specific in the actual auction listing. However, they may have wanted to be clearer in the initial preview description. We'll see when the auction catalog is finished.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back