Premiere Props November 2013 auction

I'm just surprised no one is talking about the freaking Godfather horse head. That's pretty iconic. I didn't even think they would have kept something like that back then... I guess that takes the fun out of me thinking they used a real one for the movie

I'm just surprised no one is talking about the freaking Godfather horse head. That's pretty iconic. I didn't even think they would have kept something like that back then... I guess that takes the fun out of me thinking they used a real one for the movie

They did. This is purported to be the "stand in" head.

They did. This is purported to be the "stand in" head.

Ohhh... The text was in one big block so I didn't read it the first time. :D Even in my ignorance I now see that they did use a real horse head, I'll save that for a later fun fact

Before the thread continues to topic, I just want to say some of the posters are neat like the Psycho one.

And they are touting their new DNA marking as a way of authenticating the prop. This is great - for the future. It'll allow future sales to be traced back to PP, but it does nothing to authenticate the prop in this auction...........

Gene

And they are touting their new DNA marking as a way of authenticating the prop. This is great - for the future. It'll allow future sales to be traced back to PP, but it does nothing to authenticate the prop in this auction...........

Gene

Exactly so, Gene. Well put. They seem totally oblivious to the need for authentication and defining who, exactly is on their "panel". I just wrote a whole story about it:

Wrath of Dhan Star Trek Prop Blog: CAVEAT EMPTOR: PREMIERE PROPS' NEW INITIATIVE IS ALL HAT, NO CATTLE

It really is time Premiere admitted that they were either scam artists or incompetent because they have to be one or the other. And I think we should all feel deeply insulted by how little intelligence they are crediting the prop collecting community with by introducing their "MPDNA" system, which based on the way things are going at the moment is just going to be an easy way of spotting a replica in the future - if it's "DNA tagged" and Premiere are vouching for it then walk away! Yes they do have some genuine items and always have done, but trust can't operate on a "hit and miss" basis. It's sad but true to say that in these days of hugely inflated prices, if an item doesn't have a cast-iron provenance then it's not worth the risk if you're looking to make a buck by selling on later. On the other hand, if you're buying for your own pleasure then in the end it's what YOU believe that matters.
There have been plenty of threads covering the manifold joys of self delusion when it comes to prop collecting, and the same applies here. If you are convinced that the Viper helmet is genuine, are prepared to pay the asking price, and will take pleasure from owning it, then that's your call and it's a valid one for you. But if you're like me, and I suspect the majority of other collectors here, and the slightest doubt about the piece destroys any chance that owning it will give you the joy it should, then you have to pass. I always ask myself "how much are you prepared to spend on the chance that it MIGHT be real?" Usually it's not that much....

FYI.

Klingon Tricorder sold for $500. original est $500-700.
Bane Mask sold for $3050. original est $10K-$12K.
Godfather Horse Head sold for $7000. original est $20K-$30K
TOS Viper Helmet sold for $8800. original est $6K-$8K.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back