STAR WARS (Samurai Boba Fett)

MadBlake

So I've decided to start a little side project with all my other stuff, this will most likely be a slow process project because I've given myself a 9 month completion goal. I'm hoping to have start on the armor first and then slowly gather bits and pieces here and there the bases of this project is the Bandai 7 inch action figure called Ronin Boba Fett. The sculpture itself was produced by artist and sculptors Takeyuki Takeya, and Junichi Taniguchi, two very talented individuals I must say cause the sculpt and the artwork included in this piece is just beautiful all around.

So for the actual body armor itself I've decided to go with EVA foam, seeing as how that would be the cheapest material to execute this project. The cloth and uniform itself will most likely be made from hand by my lovely fiancé who plans to sew it all together while she is working on her Samurai Darth Vader. As for the Helmet I have not found any pep files or anyone who has executed this armor before, I've talked with a professional builder/ maker and he suggested to contract a 3d modeler to design it for me for several hundred dollars. Not entirely sure I want to take that route, seeing as how I'm strapped for cash.

As far as identification goes I have narrowed down that he is wearing sandals and I can just make modifications on a simple pair but if anyone finds anything similar please post here. I've also got advice from the Friend builder/ maker of mine and he notices the notches in each stacked armor set is being held together by a some sort of cord, he suggested using 5/50 cord and just painting it which I think will work rather nicely. That's about as far as I have come, If anyone would like to help identifying any parts and contribute please don't hesitate, I can use all the help I can get. Plus any idea on the materials I should use for the helmet, which is one of my biggest concerns right now.

Last edited:
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Last edited:
So I challenged myself a little bit on this, at first I didn't want to produce a foam helmet, wasn't exactly sure if it would turn out alright. I'm still not completely satisfied but it is still in the early stages and I'm hoping it will look better after I give it some chemical treatment to make it actually look like armor. But let me know what you think and give me some feedback.
photo 3 (1).JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 2 (3).JPG
photo 4 (1).JPGphoto 5 (1).JPGphoto 1 (1).JPG
photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

Last edited:
So had some time yesterday to get some stuff done on the helmet. Added some miner details with 3mm foam and attached the top pieces and gave it some filler in the cracks.photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Also finished the back flaps on the helmet, just need 550 cord to tie them together, still have to dremel some stuff to smooth out a few surfaces and then figure out placement for the 2 side panels with the one connecting the antenna. Hopefully I can figure out something.

Last edited:
Finally finished sanding and assembling the back flaps with 550 cord, the 550 worked great too perfect size and easy to use. Im hoping to get the plastidip on tonight so I can start painting tomorrow.
photo.JPG
Also surprisingly enough I found the perfect color match for the green and red in spray can form, they actually are new and I don't know how long they will have them for so have to buy in bulk. Ill post pics of the colors next time,

Also hopefully someone has the answer to this, but has anyone worked with epoxy resin? Wanted to know if I should use that in my casting process, like during what stage should I apply it and also if I should just replace the plastidip altogether for the resin? Someone had told me to put it on after the painting stage and then apply anti-shine clear coat, they weren't to specific though so if anyone has any info please lend me your insight, thanks!

So I decided to go with the Plasti Dip and I'm pretty satisfied with it, I've used Plasti Dip before but never for a helmet so this was a bit of an experiment for me. Over all I would say it came out as well as I would expect with foam, its still malleable but mostly towards the front where there are lots of seams and cuts for details, the back of the helmet and fans that wrap around it seem to be pretty sturdy. Hopefully it will become more solid after painting and weathering. Also going to be shaping a cutting out the visor from a motorcycle helmet so once that is installed it should give the front a sturdy feel and look to it.
photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG
photo 1.JPG

I also picked up some paint for the first coat tonight its Rustoleum (robins egg) Matt, I think it was a pretty close match. I will probably give it a black primer though first to give it a dark undertone, the color of the robins egg is a little too bright for Ronin Fetts taste ;)
photo 2 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPG

Had to chime in...

I've been lusting after this figure since I first saw it.:cry

I was going to save up some pennies to pick one up, but after seeing how well your helmet came out, I'm thinking of using that cash for an armor display for this.

Thanks so much for the inspiration.:thumbsup

Had to chime in...

I've been lusting after this figure since I first saw it.:cry

I was going to save up some pennies to pick one up, but after seeing how well your helmet came out, I'm thinking of using that cash for an armor display for this.

Thanks so much for the inspiration.:thumbsup

Haha Thank you, honestly I still want to buy the figure, I probably will have to eventually because it would be the absolute reference tool for this project. None the less thank you sir for the kind words!:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

This guy...

This is coming out great.. can't wait to see it in person!

OH Vince you always know how to make a cold hearted Mercenary blush!:p

Well thanks, at first I just wanted the samurai stormtrooper figure but now I want a full size one. This is looking really good and your only a week in.

So I was able to get a little painting done this Friday I swear the rain and wind wouldn't let up! The second it did I was able to go to town on this, gave it about 3 coats of the Robins egg. It looks very light in the lighting I have it in now but that will change once I weather it, it should darken up and give it a less shiny more flat effect. Also the visor trim didn't come out as well as I hoped the color was perfect, but the painters tape I used decided to peel off on its own half way thru painting. Easy fix though I'll just be going over it by hand. I also got around to cutting the ears and plasti dipping them, the only set back was the wind again causing a little splatter, I'm going to try and fix it with a dremel. Hoping it will work and I don't have redo them all over again because cutting them was a bitch!
photo 1 (3).JPGphoto 1 (1).JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG
photo 4.JPGphoto 5 (1).JPGphoto 2 (3).JPG

I also had to extend the trim out on the side panels, Didn't measure them right the first time, but not such a big set back.

Later on this week I'm hoping to have updates on the paint job antenna, and if I get some money hopefully the VISOR!!! Really excited about that if you couldn't tell haha.

So Finally went shopping for some material, and I have everything I need minus one visor to complete this helmet. So I got to work on the on the antenna found out the real name for it too haha (External targeting Rangefinder) obviously mine will have none of those capability's except it will be able to swing down in front of the eye. I constructed it out of balsa wood and rigged it on the ear panel with a envelope fastener, I think it works rather well and stay in place perfectly.
photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Also found this nifty steam punk monocle for $3 at Michaels, just a little disassembly and gave it some red dye. It will be used for the lens at the top of the antenna or ETR. Also fixed up the lines on the helmet and cleaned it up a little and painted the blaster dent in the helmet.

photo 1.JPG

I have the colors to give it the weathered detailing just need to get the mixing right to make sure its the perfect shade, hoping to have that done tonight and if all goes well I should be have the back panels attached by tomorrow (crossing my fingers). Also met a cosplay friend who worked at Michaels and told me to pick up a container of Mod Podge, they say it does wonder for foam armor and gives it that nice hard armor look. Anyone who has any experience with it please let me know if you think it would work for this? Thanks guys!

I have used Mod Podge on my foam builds, I think it's biggest benefit is it prevents the foam from soaking up the paint so much. As far as the final finish, if you are using Plasti Dip I think it will cancel out any texture the Mod Podge will leave.

I have used Mod Podge on my foam builds, I think it's biggest benefit is it prevents the foam from soaking up the paint so much. As far as the final finish, if you are using Plasti Dip I think it will cancel out any texture the Mod Podge will leave.

so at this stage in the game Mod Podge wont do a thing? Guess I could use it on another project, would you suggest it over the plasti dip for a better texture or does it have the same effect?

For sealing purpose you are already past that stage, I put Mod Podge down first thing on the foam. But if you want to try it to create a hard smooth effect it may work over the Plasti Dip and under the color. The best bet is to make a test sample. I'm curious to see if there is a difference.

For sealing purpose you are already past that stage, I put Mod Podge down first thing on the foam. But if you want to try it to create a hard smooth effect it may work over the Plasti Dip and under the color. The best bet is to make a test sample. I'm curious to see if there is a difference.

I really did want to test anyways in the hopes of a cooler texture, you sir just gave me an excuse to do so. Will definitely post tomorrow to let you know how it goes.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back