The end of JJTrek, finally?

I don’t think we will be that lucky, they WILL cough up the dough, they are going to have too.

Sadly Trek will have to go into a long hibernation to undo all the damage JJ has done to it

If JJ Trek were a physical thing I would personally be happy to slide a knife slowly between it's ribs into it's heart and watch the life drain from it's eyes.
Die JJ Trek die.
And if PIcard is coming back, maybe they can you know, make actual thoughtful Star Trek again that respects canon. I hope.
Hope. Helluva thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's to hoping one of J.J. Abrams involved abominations goes down.

landscape-1468852200-shaun-of-the-dead-pint-gif.gif

Last edited:
Star Trek fans are some of the most miserable bastards around. Guess what guys, your original star trek, was someone else's "Crappy version of a wagon train TV show". "I can't believe it's filmed inside, instead of outside like the wagon train shows I liked." "Why are they all pretending to fall down?" "Why are they fighting people with clay slapped on their foreheads, instead of Indians?"

Then you know what happened after that? Next Gen was a weird version of TOS to a bunch of folks too. "Where's the vulkan science officer?" "When did Klingons get clay on their foreheads?" "Why Isn't Kirk here, they could have still made it with Kirk. It's only star trek with Kirk."

and that went on and on... "I don't like that DS9 doesn't fly around to different places. they're a truck stop". "Why is Kahn the villain in this movie, he got beat in the TV show?" "Who's this archer douch and why isn't picard here, they should have made another one with picard, it's only star trek with picard."

All the version of star trek that you liked, other folks have hated. get over yourselves. get a hold of the fact that an IP being reinterpreted, and used to tell new stories, in new ways, is not a personal insult; and there are people that enjoy the new stuff that you don't. that's how all books, art, tv, movies, games, comics, every form of media works. stopping begging for stagnation.

15 years from now, the kids that grew up on JJ trek, will be utterly disgusted at what some other hip director of the time does with star trek, and there will be folks that like that new stuff too.

I've not seen the 3rd of the new Trek movies, did they bring Hemsworths character back? I mean, he was in the first one for like, I don't know, the first five minutes, and he died.

Or was his sacrifice what made him worthy to wield Mjolnir again, and he traveled the cosmos fighting evil until he tried to reunite with his son years later, only to find out he was killed in World War I, but dated Wonder Woman?

I've not seen the 3rd of the new Trek movies, did they bring Hemsworths character back? I mean, he was in the first one for like, I don't know, the first five minutes, and he died.

Or was his sacrifice what made him worthy to wield Mjolnir again, and he traveled the cosmos fighting evil until he tried to reunite with his son years later, only to find out he was killed in World War I, but dated Wonder Woman?

I'm guessing its gonna be a time travel storyline. My question is this: was this supposed to be the one directed by Tarantino?

Being given the opportunity to like something or dislike something based on your own preferences is a gift. Telling someone they've been cheated because they like something different than you, or isn't "as good" as what you had, is a horrible, hateful thing to do to someone.

Agree to disagree. Did you listen to the MP3 link?

JJ Trek is waste of so much potential that TOS was.
They chose to re-make TOS. Use that ship, use those characters again.
That should mean something.
Why should fans be silent on this?
They HAVE been cheated or are cheating themselves of what made Trek endure so long.
Or maybe they find those old stories just boring and outdated, cheesy. Too much thought involved.

I'm guessing its gonna be a time travel storyline. My question is this: was this supposed to be the one directed by Tarantino?

It was not-- they were separate... plus Discovery, plus an unnamed spinoff, and now the Picard show... none of these things seem like they'd be in the same universe. Discovery is akready giving us a different Enterprise with a different Pike and possibly another new Spock. There's also an animated show in the works. They are doing what DC does and watering down their own brand with no sense of continuity. Studios seem to love their shared universe franchises-- well Paramount had the first real shared universe a couple decades before it was hip and flushed it. I full accept Trek had gotten stale, but going a thousand directions with continuity wasn't the answer.

Just had a thought of someone at Warner/DC in a pitch meeting, “Hey, the JJ Trek series seems to be going strong, spawned Discovery, we can do that. Super easy, barely an inconvenience. Someone speed dial Zach Snyder!”

LMFAO

Yeah. Right. New Coke Trek will continue apace, and pay Chris and Chris all the credits they demand, because ST Beyond was SUCH a big hit. (sarcastic eyebrow lift)

I finally got drunk and watched Star Trek Beyonce, was bopping my head and not gagging too much, it got a few things right, but then they had to play Beastie Boys one more time, and I groaned into my Saurian brandy.

New Coke Trek is about money, that’s all. Nobody cares about telling a meaningful story, not even interested in a NEW story, just putting old tropes through a meat grinder and voila here’s a new burger for a generation that doesn’t care what food tastes like so long as it’s shoved into a Happy Meal with lots of CGI and shaky cam. I watched a few of ST:D for free and it was clear this was more of the same, money making scheme using glitz, CGI, posturing, deep meaningful looks with lines out of a screenwriting bot. And Star Fleet track suits. They all wear disco-era track suits.

So you go, Chris and Chris, demand more money, at least you know what fuel is driving this engine.

i don't know whats more embarassing, the fact that the movie is being held to ransom by a fairly crappy ex aussie soap actor called hemsworth who i remember had the nerve to call Trek "dated" when interviewed in 2009 or the fact that Jar Jar abrams is still involved in any capacity.

Hemsworth was in the first jar jar abrams one in 2009 for like 5 minutes. Cheesy acting and just embarrasing all round.
If they want to bring anyone back from that movie, it should be Captain Robau, at least he was believable as a captain unlike Hemsworth.

If i was paramount, i would recast. I mean, both of these actors, Pine and hemsworth are hardly box office A listers, the only movies they are in that make money are the generic disney blockbusters or other similar stuff.

They don't have the charisma or star power of say a Tom Cruise to warrant such high salaries.

I actually read the article, and it seems to be an interesting conundrum.

The actors were promised $X. When ST3 flopped, the studio realized they couldn't afford $X. The actors walked because the studio is reneging on their contract.

The studio can't afford to put out more money for this movie, but they also can't recast Kirk (Sr, probably). So it'll all depend on if they're desperate enough to make this film or not.

Star Trek fans are some of the most miserable bastards around. Guess what guys, your original star trek, was someone else's "Crappy version of a wagon train TV show". "I can't believe it's filmed inside, instead of outside like the wagon train shows I liked." "Why are they all pretending to fall down?" "Why are they fighting people with clay slapped on their foreheads, instead of Indians?"

Are you perhaps confusing the original Battlestar Galactica -- which creator Glen A. Larson literally described as "A wagon train in space" -- with Star Trek TOS? Because TOS has squat to do with wagon trains, spacebound or otherwise.

I'm not a hardcore Trekkie, but I know enough to recognize that your description of the old series has sod all to do with reality.

I get what you're saying; the old stuff is always loved by someone who hates the next new thing, and then someone who loves the new thing will hate the newer thing after that and blah blah blah. But your description of the original series is just...nothing to do with the actual show.

Anyway, I think JJTrek is ultimately pretty disposable.

Its resemblance to the source material is largely a product of broad caricatures of the characters (although Spock and Bones are handled pretty well, Kirk has more to do with Maverick in Top Gun than he does with the Kirk from the show or the older movies), terminology, and loosely interpreted production design. The vibe of the films is just a generic space adventure.

The first film was...you know, ok, I guess. I thought it was pretty bland but it was reasonably entertaining for an airplane ride. I had zero desire to ever rewatch it. And the score SUCKED. I noticed that before Mike mentioned it, even. It was incredibly grating.

The second film seemed to have promise, but turned out to be basically just Wrath of Khan II: Electric Boogaloo. It struck me as a wasted opportunity that drew its strength more from Nick Mayer's original story than from anything intrinsic to the new film.

My wife and I started watching the third film a few months ago on Amazon Prime one night. She likes the new Trek movies, and isn't an old school Trek fan (she doesn't dislike it, she just never really watched it). But even she was bored with the third one which felt COMPLETELY generic and seemed to have no connection to anything remotely related to Trek. It was just Generic Space Adventure Movie featuring Dashing Captain Guy and his plucky crew. Meh.

I think there are some great core concepts and values that can be drawn from Trek. It's an interesting universe in which you can tell really cool stories. However:

1. I really do NOT think it's suited to feature films. You either need the ability to build a longer, larger storyline, or you need something tighter and more episodic.

2. It doesn't lend itself to fast-paced action very often, even if the story itself remains exciting and fast-paced. Trek isn't and shouldn't be a roller-coaster ride. We have a gajillion such movies and franchises out there to choose from. I don't need another one just with primary-colored Trek wrapping.

If JJTrek really does die as a result of this, I won't be bothered, mostly because I don't think anything will really have been lost. You can still get your Generic Space Adventure movie on elsewhere, I'm sure, and Trek will undoubtedly re-re-re-re-re-launch somewhere else. Paramount isn't about to let this franchise die. Maybe I'll like what comes next, maybe not. But whatever.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back