Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

I didnt know how to abbreviate PUTZ so I went with that.

ADDITION

And just getting back on topic, does it seem the case to anyone else that its not the people who KK fires that put her in this position now but the people she doesnt fire that are the problem?

Last edited:

Hey I'm still team Lord and Miller.

She hired comedy directors then fired them for giving them a comedic Star Wars.

That's fine if they gave her "Rogue One"...

Like if someone hires me as a guy who makes AWESOME MARGARITAS to make them a margarita, and then gets mad when it's not a ceasar.... I'm not going to say I'M the problem there.

And yes I'm making margs when I get home... dammit... feels like I'm never getting out of here today.

When you weigh it up, Johnson went to Kennedy and Disney, (The Wook correctly described what going to the Disney part means) and basically used the same pitch Jerry and George used in Seinfeld and got a three picture deal out of it...Wow. "Its a trilogy...about nothing"

Last edited by a moderator:

When you weigh it up, Johnson basically went to Kennedy and Disney, (@The Wook correctly described what going to the Disney part means)

Wait! What did I say?!

[I post a lot, so I've learned to tune myself out.]

As long as the I`s are dotted and the T`s are crossed in a basic presentation, Disney will go with whatever Kennedy pitches to Disney. Or something very similar to that.

As long as the I`s are dotted and the T`s are crossed in a basic presentation, Disney will go with whatever Kennedy pitches to Disney. Or something very similar to that.

Oh yeah! That was a very perspicacious comment.

Weird, my irony sense is tingling.

When you weigh it up, Johnson went to Kennedy and Disney, (@The Wook correctly described what going to the Disney part means) and basically used the same pitch Jerry and George used in Seinfeld and got a three picture deal out of it...Wow. "Its a trilogy...about nothing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTIg1VNxOxs

***** ****ing ******

When you weigh it up, Johnson went to Kennedy and Disney, (@The Wook correctly described what going to the Disney part means) and basically used the same pitch Jerry and George used in Seinfeld and got a three picture deal out of it...Wow. "Its a trilogy...about nothing"

So basically, they put the creator of the most unpopular SW movie since 'Phantom Menace' in charge of a whole trilogy. He has zero ideas yet. The only thing they know for sure is that they will be going directly into it with no pausing after ep#9.

Pretty much what you'd expect to hear at this stage. Nothing good.

Just because he hasn't announced his ideas doesn't mean he doesn't have one. Movies are in development for years and the public is not updated with every step. His trilogy deal was announced less than 6 months ago. If he had a few rough ideas then (likely given that TLJ had just come out), he's been working on a pitch and has given it, or will soon. THEN he'll start writing. Don't expect to hear anything on the project for a long time... and that doesn't mean it is in trouble, stalled, or not happening.

This is the problem with the social media age. When I was a kid, there was one yellow box in Starlog magazine that told you what was coming soon, other than that, unless you read the trades, you had no idea what was in development. This society of instant gratification thinks that the second something is announced it is fully developed.

Not Johnson, or Kennedy are required to check in with fandom. That doesn't mean they are "in hiding" or "not working." It means they are doing their jobs that take time and effort and has nothing to do with fanbabies demanding their little feelings and desires be coddled.

So basically, they put the creator of the most unpopular SW movie since 'Phantom Menace' in charge of a whole trilogy. He has zero ideas yet. The only thing they know for sure is that they will be going directly into it with no pausing after ep#9.

Pretty much what you'd expect to hear at this stage. Nothing good.

You obviously watched the video and heard Johnsons own words and someone else didnt watch it and is just talking though their you know what as usual.

Your exactly right, its astounding that things like that can actually happen in such a high stakes industry but thats the situation we face today. She gotta go and then this travesty of a non trilogy will go to.

Just because he hasn't announced his ideas doesn't mean he doesn't have one. Movies are in development for years and the public is not updated with every step. His trilogy deal was announced less than 6 months ago. If he had a few rough ideas then (likely given that TLJ had just come out), he's been working on a pitch and has given it, or will soon. THEN he'll start writing. Don't expect to hear anything on the project for a long time... and that doesn't mean it is in trouble, stalled, or not happening.

This is the problem with the social media age. When I was a kid, there was one yellow box in Starlog magazine that told you what was coming soon, other than that, unless you read the trades, you had no idea what was in development. This society of instant gratification thinks that the second something is announced it is fully developed.

Not Johnson, or Kennedy are required to check in with fandom. That doesn't mean they are "in hiding" or "not working." It means they are doing their jobs that take time and effort and has nothing to do with fanbabies demanding their little feelings and desires be coddled.

C’mon @SethS , Johnson was scribbling his his take on SW for TLJ whilst TFA was still filming/ in production .
He didn’t wait for the final edit on that film right ?
What’s he waiting for in ‘ developing his ‘ new ‘ trilogy ?
The one he’s apparently so excited about , that occurs in a galaxy according to him - far removed from Star Wars as we know it ? ... ala TLJ really !
If this truly goes ahead , with him at the helm , then @The Wook’s concept of ‘ SWINO ‘ films really will have hit pay dirt .

He doesn’t seem to have a problem ‘ checking in ‘ with the fandom when it suits his needs / agenda though !?

Ged

Last edited:

I've actually determined a reasonable way to predict a future SW movies BO performance and its surprisingly accurate.

If you add the first two viewing totals of each trailer (anything over a minute is not a "teaser") together from the official SW youtube site and divide the BO total by that quantity it gives a fairly consistent figure.

TFA
Trailer (1) 102 million
Tralier (2) 81 million total BO2$2,065 billion divided by 183 million = 11.3 %

Rogue One
Trailer (1) 44 million
Trailer (2)37 million total BO $1,056 billion divided by 81 million = 13.0%

TLJ
Trailer (1) 51 million
Tralier (2) 44 million total BO $1,330 billion divided by 95 million = 14%

So average views over 3 total BO $4451 billion divided by 359 million views =12.4%

Which is interesting because :

Solo: A Star Wars Story comes in with :

Trailer (1) 13.0 million
Trailer (2) 16.0 million total BO projected with 29 million views at 12.4% (3 film average)

projected total worldwide $360 million
As of this morning ACTUAL total worldwide $330 million

So ,as you can see the previewing totals of the trailers quite accurately predict the BO performance well ahead of the general release.

And, more worrying for Lucasfilm and Disney its the reduction in the general interest after every release thats most noteable, PARTICULARLY after TLJ. That and the fact the trailers were released late and amoungst so many other blockbusters it didn't get time to gain strong viewing figures. They should have waited to December as I suggested.

What it also says to me that the effects of the SW boycott seem greatly over estimated. Nearly all SW fans here and elsewhere watched the Solo trailers if only to increase their criticism (or praise) for the movie. And there don't seem to be that many RPFers who have NOT gone to see this now who said they originally wouldn't.

And this supports a couple of arguments strongly.

Firstly, the GENERAL public have little interest in characters stories outside of the main Saga. "Rogue One" was arguably the exception because it actually bridged the story between the Prequels and the OT. BUT the rest REALLY need to keep their production budgets in line because outside of the fandom, not many will want to see them.

Secondly, that TLJ, as well as upsetting a large proportion of the existing fanbase, also markedly failed to manage to engage many more new SW fans for choosing to go in the direction it went in. So instead of converting more from the general audiences and creating more SW fans the complete opposite is true.

If it were otherwise you would have seen that reflected in a greatter number of Solo views and and much stronger BO performance.

If anything the only thing I can actually conclude from this is that the core of SW fandom has kept Solo afloat at the BO. Everybody I know that either liked or disliked TLJ has been to see Solo now, and thats reflected here in the forum.

Disney and Lucasfilm need to reflect on this downward trend. There is a reason for it.

Last edited:

It's seems like the Star Wars franchise is in a downward trend. Whether Kennedy is directly responsible or not, if it continues, she'll likely be held responsible. Maybe Lucas should have gone with McCallum instead?

CutThumb,

Rogue 1 did not have the absurd activism and plot flaws of TLJ. People didnt fall in love after 18 hours, or turn an epic good vs evil story into making arms dealers rich.

Fans keep 'splaining exactly why the didnt like TLJ, and every excuse possible except for the *true* reason gets acknowledged.

Rougue 1 had new characters, loved them, did well. So, true fans *are* welcoming to new characters. As for a new saga, Disney's "orphan saves the day" is laughably unoriginal.

The numbers are going down. We coulda told you that. Thst is the consequence of hijacking a franchise. I know many Star wars fans that saw A New Hope before it was called A New Hope, that have not seen Solo. We were tired of being lectured about how great TLJ is.

The point is, non-fans, people who love the new direction, the political crap in Star Wars, dont care if it kills the franchise. Rogue 1 did well because it is high on the SWIQ.

Remember the scene where the rebels try to hyperspace out, a star destroyer shows up, and a blockade runner bounces off it like a midget wrestler off Andre the Giant? THAT is how hyperspace works. Not this travesty where hyperspace ignores shields.

The true fans gripes dont change, but the excuses for failing will grow as the new directionerscontinue to sabotage this(once) cash cow

Edit fixed up last sentence

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back