TIE pilot helmet conundrum: Anovos, Dan Laws, RS or SDS?

I've been hearing a lot that SDS makes great helmets, but I've also heard from some that SDS are not very accurate. How can this be? lol (Its like the time Charlie Chaplin entered a look-alike contest--- and lost!)
To be blunt? Because Ainsworth is a colossal liar. There's not much more to it than that. He didn't sculpt the helmets, he doesn't have original molds for anything. He recast everything he sells from other sources. His involvement on SW was limited to being the guy who pulled helmets in his vac-forming shop. In your analogy, it would be more like Ed Voight, makeup artist on The Great Dictator, entering a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest and losing.

To be blunt? Because Ainsworth is a colossal liar. There's not much more to it than that. He didn't sculpt the helmets, he doesn't have original molds for anything. He recast everything he sells from other sources. His involvement on SW was limited to being the guy who pulled helmets in his vac-forming shop. In your analogy, it would be more like Ed Voight, makeup artist on The Great Dictator, entering a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest and losing.
Hello, You stated that Ainsworth recast everything he sells from other sources but that can't be true. This video is proof that not everything (If anything at all) that he sells is recast from other sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09CmSZVBIj0&t=157s You can literally see him sculpt the Stormtrooper faceplate in this video! All though some of the products he sells do have inaccuracies, they can easily be fixed, such as his ANH Hero Helmet using the "Stunt" ear pieces with the 4 ribs, instead of the "Hero" ear pieces with 3 ribs.

Last edited:
Hello, You stated that Ainsworth recast everything he sells from other sources but that can't be true. This video is proof that not everything (If anything at all) that he sells is recast from other sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09CmSZVBIj0&t=157s You can literally see him sculpt the Stormtrooper faceplate in this video! All though some of the products he sells do have inaccuracies, they can easily be fixed, such as his ANH Hero Helmet using the "Stunt" ear pieces with the 4 ribs, instead of the "Hero" ear pieces with 3 ribs.

You're joking right? You don't actually believe that video do you? I laugh every time I see that video. The supposed 'sculpture' that he makes in that video is not the same one (buck) that he uses to form the stormtrooper faceplate or back and cap in that video. The buck he uses to vacu-form with in that video was either the one he had from many years ago or it was newly made from a newer negative mould taken fro an older buck(I would say the latter). If he vacu-formed the buck he sculpted in that video it would not look anything like the stormtrooper faceplate from the original films, but rather like a bag of mush. This is one of the things that really irritated me about Ainsworth, was when he started claiming that he sculpted the stormtrooper helmet and armour. We all know that credit goes to Liz Moore and Brian Muir. It really makes me angry when someone tries to claim the art created by another artist, it is just reaally wrong.

My theory is Ainsworth had an old original stormtrooper helmet buck (probably slightly damaged), cleaned it up and recast it. I still think his ANH 'Hero' faceplate is quite accurate though, other than the reduced undercut. The back and cap portion I believe is what he had to repair the most as that is where we see some differences between his and the screen used helmets.

Last edited:
Hello, I understand where your coming from Zenwalker and they may most likely be true, But anyways lets not turn this into an AA debate. Also, oxixo At the moment, The RS Prop Masters Tie Pilot Helmet is sold out... Your only option now would be to get the RS Prop Masters Tie Pilot Helmet Kit, or from a 3rd party.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ainsworth didn't sculpt jack *****! The POS only got away with the lawsuit because of crappy UK courts. The guy is a sleeze who wanted to capitalize on stolen property and a take credit from a women who tragically died.

Only the RS signature edition one is sold out. They are made to order. The last time I asked RS for one they quoted 6 weeks which is definitely not bad. I went with Dan Laws though. We'll see what it's like once I receive it. If its anything like his completed snowtrooper helmet I received it should be great quality.

Hello, I understand where your coming from Zenwalker and they may most likely be true, But anyways lets not turn this into an AA debate. Also, @oxixo At the moment, The RS Prop Masters Tie Pilot Helmet is sold out... Your only option now would be to get the RS Prop Masters Tie Pilot Helmet Kit, or from a 3rd party.

I was on the fence between the Anovos, Walt's Trooper Factory, and LordZacharious helmets. ended up going with the LZ helmet, but Laws are the best I've seen. The problem with him (and RS) is the wait times. The Anovos is too cleaned up for me (and at the time, they had a wait too), and I wasn't comfortable enough with my abilities to assemble a WTF one, though I think I might try it out now. The LZ isn't ABS, but I really liked the way it looked in pictures and they seemed to have a pretty good rep on the Jolly Roger Squadron forums. Sign up over there and check out their for sale section, you might get a good deal there, or at least see what they recommend.

CfO (Cast from Original), is a respected prop maker who is getting ready to produce TIE buckets in both kit form and completed helmet.
There are pictures of his vac formed helmets over on Facebook.
They look really good, so it might be worth waiting to see how these turn out.

Mark at CFO is indeed in the final stages of development and will be offering a TIE helmet in the not too distant future. When one considers he always offers the highest quality product, has customer service second to none and provides accurate time estimations with regular updates, I'd be inclined to go with his given the other options.

I went RS. Mainly as they are under an hour away from where i live. I also have their full TK armour.

Great guys to deal with and a good history with having parts of a real screen used TK. Don't expect to get a perfect item though, it may have glue runs here and there. But i love mine. Mine is for trooping, not displaying [although i do have my TK and Tie helmet on show when not on my sweaty head at a troop!!].

Chris

Wow, bells0, that helmet looks great! I didn't realize RS was THAT good!

Thanks, Yorkie Fett, I'm adding CfO to my growing list of vendors. Anyone hear about Radu Plucinsky? He has a Facebook page, and his stuff is pretty impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep forgetting Sskunky (CFO) is doing one. If that was an option when I ordered mine, I would have gone with that one. I still might and have a second one....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back