Project: Revell AT-AT Walker

Thanks christrom. If you're referring to the blueprint in post #1, yeah I found that the Revell model was slightly out, compared to the scaled down SS drawing. I had to compromise a bit and use my discretion. I found it difficult to get an accurate measurement because the model's sides are at angle. But I think I got it pretty darn close.

That looks stunning indeed ... can't wait for you to tackle those legs into stop-motion mode ... will you also use some kind of springs system inside as per the original Studio Scale AT-ATs?

Chaim

That looks stunning indeed ... can't wait for you to tackle those legs into stop-motion mode ... will you also use some kind of springs system inside as per the original Studio Scale AT-ATs?

Chaim

Thanks Sym-Cha. Yes, I'm hoping I can. I'm leaving the legs for the last, as they are the most complicated part of the model. But I am looking forward to them as well.

Thanks christrom. If you're referring to the blueprint in post #1, yeah I found that the Revell model was slightly out, compared to the scaled down SS drawing. I had to compromise a bit and use my discretion. I found it difficult to get an accurate measurement because the model's sides are at angle. But I think I got it pretty darn close.

I was more referring to the 9th pic in post #3. Looks like the Revell is way too long... is that a new cutting line you've put on there?

Sorry all, for not updating in the last couple of months. I've been going crazy with the model.

Well, let's get on with the updates.......

THE BELLY Part II

008 revell 01.jpg008 revell 02.jpg
I finished off the Side Guards and prime them.

008 revell 03.jpg008 revell 04.jpg008 revell 05.jpg
Next, I plotted out the greeblies for the Belly Sides and added what I could find from my parts bin. Some I made up from scratch.

008 revell 06.jpg
I then prime them.

THE BODY Part III

008 revell 07.jpg008 revell 08.jpg
Then came the rest of all the small panels and greeblies.

008 revell 10.jpg

008 revell 09.jpg

Next I did under the Butt.

008 revell 11.jpg

008 revell 12.jpg

008 revell 13.jpg008 revell 14.jpg
Again, I took what I could find and make shift parts to resemble what's on the actual SS model.

NEXT UPDATE will be the Neck Armature.

Please Stay Tuned...............

As promised.

THE NECK ARMATURE

009 revell 01.jpg
Based off my research, I came up something that would work with this scale.

009 revell 02.jpg
I started with scrap pieces of aluminum that I picked up at a local metal recycler.

009 revell 03.jpg
From there, I cut and file the basic forms.

009 revell 04.jpg009 revell 05.jpg
Opps, I broke a tap. But eventually got up and running again.

009 revell 06.jpg
With more filing, I rounded out the parts that would be hinging together.

009 revell 07.jpg009 revell 08.jpg
I test fitted the joints as I went along.

009 revell 10.jpg
Next, I added the head and body joints to their bases, so they can be mounted.

009 revell 09.jpg009 revell 11.jpg
To see how it looks, I temporary mount it to the Head. The joints were still too loose, so I added tubing in the inner joint holes.

Fine tuning is still needed.

More To Come..............

THE CHASSIS Part II

010 revell 01.jpg010 revell 02.jpg
I added metal pins to help support the Belly Tubes.

010 revell 03.jpg
I also glued styrene slots to the Belly Tubes to help as well.

010 revell 04.jpg
I decide to use J-B Weld to help with securing the brackets and pins to the Chassis.

010 revell 05.jpg
Using risers from a motherboard, I epoxied, one on each end, to square aluminum tubing. These two brackets will help secure the Main Body to the Chassis.

010 revell 07.jpg010 revell 08.jpg010 revell 09.jpg010 revell 11.jpg
Here I used square brass tubes, with set screws, to mount the Front/Sides Chassis Plates together. Then, applied J-B Weld to strengthen them.

010 revell 06.jpg
I also cut out a block of aluminum for the Leg Mounts, but that might be change, depending on how the leg configuration will turn out.

010 revell 10.jpg
Here's the Chassis with the Belly Tubes added. Ready for priming.

anamorphicWayne said: It looks that way, doesn't it. If that's the case, why the heck didn't I just do a studio scale instead? Hmmmm.

exactly my thoughts

I guess I thought it would be too difficult and costly to make that leap. But after spending the last few months on this scale, I could of easily made it to that level. Perhaps, one day.

You are doing and excellent job on this AT-AT. I actually really like seeing projects like this one, that take an existing inaccurate model and turn it into something great.

I'm looking forward to more updates.

BTW, how long is this model?

Sweet updates Wayne, loving your approach..

Helluva lot of work isn't it? You're doing the work of 3 men!

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!!
I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out. Yesterday, I picked up aluminum blocks for the legs and by the weight of them, this sucker is going to be heavy. :unsure

You are doing and excellent job on this AT-AT. I actually really like seeing projects like this one, that take an existing inaccurate model and turn it into something great.

I'm looking forward to more updates.

BTW, how long is this model?

Thanks crowe t. I'm guess-imating at about 14.75" with a height of nearly 13".

Sweet updates Wayne, loving your approach..

Helluva lot of work isn't it? You're doing the work of 3 men!

Yup, Me, Myself and I. I'm surprised we're all getting along. :D

Great update. It's getting there:cool

Thanks joberg.

Hello All. Here's a brief update.

THE BODY Part IV

I needed to add support anchors to the Main Body, so it can be mounted to the Chassis.

011 revell 01.jpg
I decided to use square brass and styrene tubes for the anchors. The brass was ideal for the bolts to secure to and the styrene made it easy to glue to the Main Body.

011 revell 02.jpg011 revell 03.jpg
I lined up, both the front/rear, support anchors thru the Side Doors to the brackets on the Chassis.

011 revell 04.jpg
I then glued them in place.

011 revell 05.jpg
Next, I made up the Side Doors to help hide the bolts.

011 revell 06.jpg011 revell 07.jpg
I added greeblies next to the support anchors.

011 revell 08.jpg011 revell 09.jpg
To finish off the Main Body, I added an inner wall, with it's greeblies, to the interior of the Main Body.

I'll add the Side Guards later on.

Now, it's ready for priming.

More to come.............

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back