An inspired Ftoys AT-AT ,AT-ST diorama

TCSloan

Inspired by Chris' awesome work on his dio..I had to get some of the AT-ATs and give it a try. I just got 3 in and started work on them right away.
These things are pretty cool, and nicely detailed for their size.
Heres what Iev done so far..
I removed the leg union plates (hips) from the body in order to reposition the legs better. Also filling the seam down the middle.
100_1559.JPG
I noticed the upper leg section is molded on the side of the knee joint instead of being in the center..so I cut all the joints off ,and I'll reposition those later on. They were easy to cut off without ruining the part. I just used an Xacto knife and a lot of care. I will also reposition some of the feet once I figure out how the legs will be positioned.
100_1560.JPG

Im not sure how accurate in scale the FToys 1/144 line is, I ordered a set of AT-STs and some Snowspeeders, all 1/144 ..we'll see how they look compared to the ATSTs soon I hope.

Last edited:
Re: An inspired Ftoys AT-AT diorama

heres a little bit more.. I got the leg positions figured out, and glued the upper legs back on. The lower legs got the added strip and the nub for the hydraulic rod to the feet. I'll add those next.
100_1563.JPG
got all 12 little hydraulic parts made..this seemed like it took forever..
100_1575.JPG
Now Im working on getting the lower legs attached ,and adjusting any feet positions
100_1573.JPG
and then I dd the new part once the feet are on
100_1574.JPG

So many AT-AT on the board lately and so many good dios & tranformations/improvements that are great to follow. You're on the right track:)

heres the AT-ST compared to the AT-AT...I 'think' it looks in scale...its really nicely detailed too..Id almost say better than the MPC kit. I havent added the weapons yet..workin on that now.
100_1583.JPG

Ive gotten alot done today . The base is made, and I think this is how everything will be laid out.
I decided to make the AT-ST with the wrong leg a knocked out walker. I think I might open the hatch and add smoke coming out if it.
100_1592.JPG
The base colors have been applied ,and now starting on some varying shades for panels and highlights.
100_1593.JPG100_1595.JPG
Heres the AT-ST base coated.
100_1594.JPG

Looking great!!! More than a pang of Deja vu too! I'll be posting more photos of my build soon. Very close to being finished. I love that you are adding the AT-STs as well. One thing though - the AT-AT's legs only bend one way. Other than that, this is looking great. Subscribed!

thanks guys for the comments.
christrom , what do you mean about the ATATs legs? they bend more than 1 way..or am I misunderstanding that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that he's referring to the hyper extension that we see in one of your pics and that AT-AT knees don't bend backwards.

yup, I see that now..it made sense in my head, but going back over the videos I dont see any working that way. I'll fix that one.

I see so many people getting the footing wrong and it can really put a dent in an otherwise terrific presentation - I'm sure that your attention to detail will pay off. And remember: the stepping goes right-right-left-left :)

yes it can be easy to get wrong..I did get the sequence right after watching the scenes over and over..but was thinking that when the rear feet came forward the lower part started forward first. Theres one millisecond that one leg starts to do that,but its so brief and fast in the scene ,its very hard to tell. But after repeating it several times, I can see that it only starts to move forward slightly, then the upper leg moves quicker, leaving the lower leg behind . I did notice though, to say the legs only bend one way isnt exactly correct. Its just when they walk do they bend that way..but watch the walking sequences real slow, and you will see occasionally the legs bending the other way..especially the one that hikes its left leg and shoots down the snowspeeder, and of course the one that gets tripped.

heres the leg repositioned. not sure about his front right leg,..what do you guys think?
100_1599.JPG

Heres a little something I did to the bottom of the base just for kicks..now its PRO-fessional :D
100_1597.JPG

Though,upon oping a new can of spackle..to my surprise..I just may have to rename it the Battle of Hubba Bubba...I sure hope this stuff really does dry white..
this is the first coat..I also added some plaster rocks I had made from one of those rubber molds
100_1598.JPG

Heres where Im at on the walkers.. Ive done the streaks and stains so far using oils. I have 1 side done on each,I'll do the other side tomorrow. Once the streaks are done I'll do the washes and pastel work.
100_1600.JPG100_1601.JPG100_1602.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back