Adventures In Vader building.

station

Hey Everyone!
I thought that I would try my hand at building my own Vader helmet. I've never done this before (although I was an art major, so I'm no stranger to the materials, just helmet making in particular) so it will be a learning adventure for me. Join me, wont you?

I started off with the awesome pepakura file by Juvito. Its of the ROTS Vader, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I'm hoping to modify it to suit my needs, and Juvito's pep file is top notch. At least one side of it is accurate, right? Here it is all built up.

IMG_2352.JPG

The grill ended up mostly stuck to my fingers, as did the tubes on the sides, so I 3d printed the grill and winged it for the tubes.

FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_2364.JPGIMG_2402.JPG

The tubes were added after. The only pic I have of them in process is after adding resin and fiberglass. So, usually with pepakura, this is where the bondo comes in. But, that's not really suited to my skill set. In college, I was more of a graphic design/sculpture person, so I decided instead that I could refine the details better if I used this as a base for sculpting in polymer clay (a material I'm much more used to). So, it was mounted up and this is where I am so far with it.

IMG_2411.JPG

I'm not entirely happy with the tubes now, so I may cut them off and just sculpt new ones in. My thought process with going this route is that I can sculpt in some asymmetricality along the way and make it more "authentic" looking and a little less sterile. I'm certainly not going for absolute screen accuracy here, more the general feel of Vader. I'm drawing from a lot of different sources for details (CSMacLaren in particular is a treasure trove) and no particular movie. This will end up being my particular Vader, a sort of "One New Empire of the Jedi" helmet, with a little bit from every era.

Thanks for looking!

Well, I've been working on the mask for a while, and although it probably looks like nothing much has been done, I've made a lot of changes to it since the last post. Mainly, I've gone back and forth roughing in the shapes. I widened the brow ridge, ripped off my previous tubes and sculpted new ones, and worked on the eyes. It's very strange, but it's hard to really figure out how the corners of the eyes are supposed to look. On every version of the mask, either screen used or fan made, they seem to be different. I think I've found a happy medium here, but any input would be appreciated. Here's a few pics of where my "Jeff Vader" mask stands now.

IMG_2451.JPGIMG_2452.JPGIMG_2453.JPG

Props to you, good sir. When I did a Vader I was too much of a chicken to attempt scratch building the mask. Looking great!

Wang Dang sweet Vader ********!

EDIT1: LOL, apparently the AI doesn't like the word that rymes MOON and BANG!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the comments! I was starting to think that it sucked, but I think I have my mojo back now. still trying to figure out how to tackle the dome though.

Thanks everyone for the comments! I was starting to think that it sucked, but I think I have my mojo back now. still trying to figure out how to tackle the dome though.
it only sucks when you throw it in the rubbish and I don't think you will do that, you will get there, looking forward to more results

Last edited:
so, it’s been a while, but nothing much interesting has happened between the last post and now (other than filling and sanding and priming and sanding and filling and sanding and sanding and priming and....). I made a waste mold of the sculpt and made a resin cast of it. This way, I could now carve details in. Still have a long way to go, but I threw a coat of gloss black on just to take stock of where I was in the process. Need to cut the chin vent, clean up the edges, and do some work on a few spots. Overall though, I think it’s coming along. Any insights or advice/critiques are always welcome.

8BBB3F51-8D33-40D1-9C36-A727BD4C90AC.jpeg21C7ED7C-6C63-41EC-B204-52522FC21CC3.jpeg310F6562-CA26-4637-A94A-92CBCCC38E51.jpeg

thanks! its been a learning experience for sure
We are always learning, you have taken the first steps into a larger world, well done on your build so far, I wouldn’t have even attempted to build one from scratch, I raise a glass to you

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back