Celebrity jerks?

To add to that, imagine getting asked the same esoteric questions all day long dozens of times, over and over again. Then if you're there for multiple days you're getting asked same old questions multiple times all day for however many days you're there for. Then when you're done, you go to another con where all of this happens all over again. With that in mind, it's a wonder any celebrity is decent at a signing/con.

I don't know, I've always thought Mark Hamill would love me asking "Did you think Star Wars would be a success while filming?" :lol I'm still waiting for him to snap and jump over the table at someone who asks that.

Celebrity comic writer ... Larry Hama. Grew up on GI Joe and have wanted to meet him for years; just never found myself in the same place.

A couple of D*Cons ago, we finally met. It was everything I hoped (and heard) it would be. Very appreciative, talked at length of his experiences with Marvel in the 80's, posed for pictures and autographs. Definitely a class act.

Does he actually look like Tunnel Rat in real life? I heard the figure/character was modeled on him.

I've become fairly acquainted with Alison Doody and she's a sweetheart.

Nice! She's gorgeous. Although I've only ever seen her in A View to a Kill and Last Crusade. It surprises me, because I'd have expected her to have a more prolific career, but maybe she just sticks with stage work or doing UK/Irish TV.

regarding everyone's earlier posts about Michael Biehn, I met him back in 2011 at a local convention, and it was a pleasant experience. after approaching his table, i waited a bit and gave him a chance to compose himself before introducing myself. i rattled on about Aliens, Tombstone, and Navy Seals, to which he politely smiled and nodded along with. afterwards i mentioned that i had read he had recently completed a movie he had directed, and told him i was looking forward to seeing it. that seemed to really delight him, and we spent the next few minutes discussing the project, his writing process, and the challenges he encountered transitioning from "actor" to "director". i then asked about his relationship with Bill Paxton, he told me he considered Bill a dear friend, and hoped they could work together again in the future. afterwards i thanked him for his time, and congratulated him on all his hard-earned success. he gave me a big smile and shook my hand. we snapped a few photos together, and he thanked me for stopping by. his wife was with him, she was also very kind and polite. probably my favorite experience meeting a celebrity.

He took to you cause you treated him like an actual person with their own life and goals, not as one of his characters.

that works for most celebrities when you meet them.

Bingo. Also you're showing interest in the things they're interested in. Which, like most people, is what they'd rather talk about.

Like, suppose you did something really cool when you were in high school. Maybe you did, like, a battle of the bands and your band won. But now you're 37 with two kids and you're a doctor, and are currently working as part of a big study on how to revise the payment system in the health care industry, which you think will have a major effect on reducnig people's overall health care costs. Now imagine that EVERYONE YOU MEET wants to keep talking about that awesome battle of the bands you did. And they want to do it while you're out grocery shopping, or when you're waiting in line at Starbucks, or while you're out to dinner for your anniversary, or at a business meeting.

Now imagine that someone said "Hey, I heard you're working on this health care payment thing? How's that going?" You'd probably be DELIGHTED because you get to talk about your current passion.

I don't know, I've always thought Mark Hamill would love me asking "Did you think Star Wars would be a success while filming?" :lol I'm still waiting for him to snap and jump over the table at someone who asks that.

I dunno. I just want to tell him that I think he's the definitive voice of the Joker, and that in recent years, his esteem has risen mightily in my eyes due almost entirely to his social media presence.

This works. Or even if it's about a project that isn't the main thing they're known for.
When I met the late Richard LeParmentier, I asked him about Roger Rabbit rather than Star Wars. He lit up.

Granted, I guess if I really used the Solo4114 method properly, I should've asked him about owning a hotel in Florida. But... yawn. ;)

This works. Or even if it's about a project that isn't the main thing they're known for.
When I met the late Richard LeParmentier, I asked him about Roger Rabbit rather than Star Wars. He lit up.

Granted, I guess if I really used the Solo4114 method properly, I should've asked him about owning a hotel in Florida. But... yawn. ;)

Wait, what? He owned a hotel in Florida?

Also, wasn't he in Octopussy?

Mark Wahlberg always looks like he needs a nap, or suffers from little man syndrome. I bet he tells himself when he meets fans, "Here we go again with these tall people."

Saw Eddie Furlong at a Con booth and I'm not sure anybody had the guts to ask for an auto.. he gave a vibe like he'd tell you to go f... yourself.

Yes, we all have moody days but put your game face on if fans are spending $ to say hi to you for 5 seconds. I'll never forget walking past Malfoy's signing area, we were just deciding where to go next and security kept yelling at us to move on cause Malfoy didn't want people loitering near him and staring at him. It was hilarious how serious they were, we moved a few feet and stopped and got yelled at again to keep going.. what a little punk he was.

Yes, we all have moody days but put your game face on if fans are spending $ to say hi to you for 5 seconds.

Sure, it's easy enough to do if you're out in public somewhere and a random person comes up to you, interrupting your meal asking for a picture and/or autograph. But imagine this happening to you several times a day, every time you're out in public? Or worse, imagine having a table at a con and people coming up to you all throughout the day and asking you the same old question(s) that you've heard all day long at every other convention you've been to. You have to remember that not all actors are naturally gregarious people, despite what you see in press junkets or in con panels.

On the other hand, if you're the type (of actor) that doesn't like crowds and/or is kind of tired of the con circuit and the constant asking of the same old questions about the one role you did 30 years ago, I think that maybe the con circuit isn't for you. If they have their own table they should arrange to be only at their table signing for an hour or two at a time and take a half hour (or more) off between table appearances. But when at the table they should try to be cordial, if not friendly and put on a good face, even if they're really tired/hungover/annoyed inside.

I had an interesting encounter with Richard Dreyfuss about 20 years ago. I was framing the roof of an old farm house in Northern VA and it is about 4:00 in the afternoon, on a hot July day. A guy pulls up in an SUV, gets out and yells up, "Hey buddy, you have a minute?" I climbed down off the roof and walk over to the SUV and there he is Richard Dreyfuss standing in front of me. Surreal... He had a door on his barn that wouldn't close about 1/2 mile from there and asked if I could take a look at it. I stopped over and fixed it in like 10 minutes. (loose bolts on the door slide blocked the door from closing). He was super nice. He brought me iced tea and gave me $200.00 and sat and chatted for about 20 more minutes. Unfortunately it was the days before cell phones, I would have loved a selfie with him, though, he did autograph my tool belt.
I also ran into Robert Duvall at the veterinarians taking one of his dogs for shots...Just an ordinary guy. Really down to earth.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert Duvall was one of the boys about 30 years ago, I ran into him about 4 times down near his farm, and it was like running into an old friend, great guy, now I have heard he still goes out but he is gettin stalked in some ways since NOVA is slowly encroaching on "Horse Country"

I had an interesting encounter with Richard Dreyfuss about 20 years ago. I was framing the roof of an old farm house in Northern VA and it is about 4:00 in the afternoon, on a hot July day. A guy pulls up in an SUV, gets out and yells up, "Hey buddy, you have a minute?" I climbed down off the roof and walk over to the SUV and there he is Richard Dreyfuss standing in front of me. Surreal... He had a door on his barn that wouldn't close about 1/2 mile from there and asked if I could take a look at it. I stopped over and fixed it in like 10 minutes. (loose bolts on the door slide blocked the door from closing). He was super nice. He brought me iced tea and gave me $200.00 and sat and chatted for about 20 more minutes. Unfortunately it was the days before cell phones, I would have loved a selfie with him, though, he did autograph my tool belt.
I also ran into Robert Duvall at the veterinarians taking one of his dogs for shots...Just an ordinary guy. Really down to earth.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of off-topic since this is about jerks, but I went to a comic-con for the first time ever last year, and finally saw what autograph/photo sessions were all about. I would never in a million years think of asking for someone's autograph/time (even though they're getting paid for it, I hate to feel like an inconvenience), so my buddy and I just watched from afar.

Lea Thompson was there, and she seemed like the nicest person, engaging everyone with a legitimate smile. It was beautiful to see someone that maybe isn't majorly "relevant" anymore, but still appreciative that people turned out and took the time, and then reciprocating with a genuine respect for the moment.

Capitalism be damned, it was awesome. Warmed the heart.

I take it you've never worked customer service? Times that by 100 and imagine your entire day is supernerds asking you esoteric questions about a thing you did 30 years ago while you autograph their toys.

Cut them some slack.

Yes I have. If you're working in customer service you're paid to be courteous to your customers. Not sure why you think it's acceptable for someone to be ignorant/miserable/a jerk etc when people are paying simply to meet them? Unless you're speaking from experience i.e. you're in a job you hate and feel that it's ok to be a jerk to your customers because you're unhappy?

Yes I have. If you're working in customer service you're paid to be courteous to your customers. Not sure why you think it's acceptable for someone to be ignorant/miserable/a jerk etc when people are paying simply to meet them? Unless you're speaking from experience i.e. you're in a job you hate and feel that it's ok to be a jerk to your customers because you're unhappy?

That's pretty much the point. If they are sitting at that table and taking people's money, they owe it to them, they are being paid by them, to be decent human beings no matter how much they might hate it, no matter how much they might wish they were somewhere else. They are always welcome to go do something else and forego all of the money they are making from fans. Nobody holds a gun to their heads. They can go get a regular job like everyone else.

That said, yes, I think that a lot of fans are just ********, but when you sign up for that kind of work, you have to expect it and be able to work past it, otherwise, go do something else.

A nice kid who wants to meet their idol and pays around $50 and up doesn't deserve to be ignored and given a dirty look like he's a piece of trash. I could be puking and still manage to smile if paid those prices. But that's just me. Now, the paparazzi's I can see why they get their cameras smashed and I'd proly do the same if they were harassing me and my family.Lea Thompson seems so real and genuine. It shows in her interviews with her honesty. Refreshing to listen to her.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the point. If they are sitting at that table and taking people's money, they owe it to them, they are being paid by them, to be decent human beings no matter how much they might hate it, no matter how much they might wish they were somewhere else. They are always welcome to go do something else and forego all of the money they are making from fans. Nobody holds a gun to their heads. They can go get a regular job like everyone else.

That said, yes, I think that a lot of fans are just ********, but when you sign up for that kind of work, you have to expect it and be able to work past it, otherwise, go do something else.

I'm not saying that celebs in the position shouldn't feel this way-- they should, I agree. I'm just saying that it doesn't always happen that way.

Just like no one is every 100% happy at their job. Everyone has a bad day, and some people work jobs they hate for YEARS. All I am saying is-- even though they are celebrities, this can happen to them too. I'm not saying it's cool for them to be a-holes to people, just that we'd be foolish to think they are infallible-- ESPECIALLY when faced with exhausting annoying fanboys. That's enough to wear anybody down.

But I do stand by my claim that celebrities don't owe their fans anything, and the fan that comes at a celeb thinking they do, is in the wrong.

Last edited:
But I do stand by my claim that celebrities don't owe their fans anything, and the fan that comes at a celeb thinking they do, is in the wrong.

you're right, they don't owe fans anything, but when they're at a convention happily taking fans money just for the chance to meet them, it's a whole different story.

I'm not saying that celebs in the position shouldn't feel this way-- they should, I agree. I'm just saying that it doesn't always happen that way.

Just like no one is every 100% happy at their job. Everyone has a bad day, and some people work jobs they hate for YEARS. All I am saying is-- even though they are celebrities, this can happen to them too. I'm not saying it's cool for them to be a-holes to people, just that we'd be foolish to think they are infallible-- ESPECIALLY when faced with exhausting annoying fanboys. That's enough to wear anybody down.

But I don't care. This is their job. This is how they make money. They need to be able to paste on a smile when they go to work or they need to find other employment. There was a recent story about some Burger King manager or something who cussed out a customer and they deserve to get fired. I don't care what their day was like. I don't care how worn down they were. They acted unacceptably and deserve to lose their job over it. All the excuses in the world don't change that.

And for celebrities that are being PAID by their fans for pleasant interaction and autographs, they DO owe their fans. They are being paid by their fans. They are making a living off of their fans. If it's some guy off the street, sure, he owes that guy nothing because that guy isn't paying him for attention, but when it's pay-for-pleasantries like at a convention... the celebrities DO OWE THEIR FANS WHO ARE PAYING THEM!

I think if I was a celebrity I would tell my fans to call me out if they ever felt I was treating them badly. They are your meal ticket, so you should at least act like you're happy to be there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back