"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

So, for those who are saying that the "rescuer" didn't seem like a big enough threat to warrant being stabbed: I'd like to point out that you are all dudes.

As a woman, there is nothing that the Doctor did that I would do any different in her place. She was being held captive with little to no explanation of why. She had two children out there that she didn't know if they were alive or dead, and she had no idea if the guardian who was looking after them was still functional. She did what she had to do to get away from a guy who had made absolutely no attempt to clarify his intentions toward her so she could find her kids and her crew mate.
I think I said pretty much the same thing in post #392; I just worded it differently.

...My only othe complaint...Give Isaac a second blaster so he can go all Ang Lee and double fist it.
I was expecting this as well. Dr. Finn was able to retrieve a blaster from the shuttle wreckage, why couldn't Isaac have done the same thing?

So, for those who are saying that the "rescuer" didn't seem like a big enough threat to warrant being stabbed: I'd like to point out that you are all dudes.

As a woman, there is nothing that the Doctor did that I would do any different in her place. She was being held captive with little to no explanation of why. She had two children out there that she didn't know if they were alive or dead, and she had no idea if the guardian who was looking after them was still functional. She did what she had to do to get away from a guy who had made absolutely no attempt to clarify his intentions toward her so she could find her kids and her crew mate.

Welp, you've convinced me.
That's what you get, Drogen - you get knife-stabbed!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI All of you, Drogen was played by Brian Thompson, an actor with a HUGE Trek Pedigree, look him up. Also he did tell Stallone's Cobra "I Want your eyes PIG!!!" My only othe complaint...Give Isaac a second blaster so he can go all Ang Lee and double fist it.

I thought I recognized him, but I never actually knew his name until now.

I also felt a bit bad for stabbed guy, but I get it; she couldn't be sure what his deal was, and mama bear had cubs to find. Another writer might have contrived some way for her to just lock him up or something, but maybe that would have been a lazy way of avoiding the very drama of what we're discussing. I did think that after they were rescued she would go back to check on him, but... nope! Also, she found a cure---did they share that with the planet?

Overall good ep, but it's not something I would re-watch. I cannot stand bratty kids, even fictional ones being that way in service of the plot.

This episode was one where it definitely stepped away some from the Trek mold, esp. TNG. In a TNG era show the doctor would not have stabbed Drogen, they almost certainly would have dragged out the Hippocratic Oath and the whole, do no harm part of it. I could very well imagine that if it was Trek it would have played out more or less the same up until the Doctor got her communicator, if it was Trek Isaac (or the kids) would have been urging her to do whatever is necessary to escape, including attacking Drogen. In turn, the Doctor, if it was Crusher, Pulaski, Bashir, or The Doctor, would have said no, they swore an oath to do no harm and blah, blah, blah. Even though I wasn't too sure about the Doctor stabbing Drogen, it did make for a refreshing change from the usual trope of doctors in peril, and was probably more realistic too.

Well that's one place where Orville detaches from Trek, and I think it's wise. Federation citizens were all highly moral. That was Gene's vision of the future, that we'd worked out our base tendencies and petty conflicts.

Orville is making sure its people are very "us/now" for being relatable.

The only thing that bugged me about this episode was the resident evil shootout at the end.

What I did love was when the doctor shot her captor. It was like, "I don't have time to debate anything right now. You're done"

Star trek certainly would have made more about their relationship.

The only thing that bugged me about this episode was the resident evil shootout at the end.

What I did love was when the doctor shot her captor. It was like, "I don't have time to debate anything right now. You're done"

Star trek certainly would have made more about their relationship.

Actually, I kind of had a problem with that. I understand that from the doctor's point of view, she wanted to get to her kids and the alien was keeping her from doing so, but from the alien's perspective, he was saving her life. He was keeping her from eating the poison food and drinking the poison water. Yes, he got companionship out of it, but for all he knew, her kids were dead. Cannibals were everywhere. But instead of trying to reason with him, instead of saying she could cure the plague and purify the land and save the lives of everyone on the planet, she just shot him. That's not a very "Trek" way of doing things IMO. Granted, this isn't Trek, but still.

Actually, I kind of had a problem with that. I understand that from the doctor's point of view, she wanted to get to her kids and the alien was keeping her from doing so, but from the alien's perspective, he was saving her life. He was keeping her from eating the poison food and drinking the poison water. Yes, he got companionship out of it, but for all he knew, her kids were dead. Cannibals were everywhere. But instead of trying to reason with him, instead of saying she could cure the plague and purify the land and save the lives of everyone on the planet, she just shot him. That's not a very "Trek" way of doing things IMO. Granted, this isn't Trek, but still.

That's sort of what I thought at first, but then I watched a review and they brought up the part where the Doctor puts her hand on top of Drogen's when she asked him to get her medkit. This suggests that he was doing more than rescuing her for the sake of rescuing her as much as getting himself a new companion; I imagine that the dating scene on that planet is probably rather limited due to the war, disease, and lack of food. So finding a healthy woman who's not going to look at you as their next meal would probably be a big deal and one not to be missed.

What would be interesting, is if they revisited the planet and find out the guy didn't die. As a result the Doctor ends up being charged with attempted murder.

David.

This episode was one where it definitely stepped away some from the Trek mold, esp. TNG. In a TNG era show the doctor would not have stabbed Drogen, they almost certainly would have dragged out the Hippocratic Oath and the whole, do no harm part of it. I could very well imagine that if it was Trek it would have played out more or less the same up until the Doctor got her communicator, if it was Trek Isaac (or the kids) would have been urging her to do whatever is necessary to escape, including attacking Drogen. In turn, the Doctor, if it was Crusher, Pulaski, Bashir, or The Doctor, would have said no, they swore an oath to do no harm and blah, blah, blah. Even though I wasn't too sure about the Doctor stabbing Drogen, it did make for a refreshing change from the usual trope of doctors in peril, and was probably more realistic too.

Crusher killed an alien in 'Suspicions'. The metaphasic shielding episode. But that was more immediate self-defense. So, maybe...maybe not?

That's sort of what I thought at first, but then I watched a review and they brought up the part where the Doctor puts her hand on top of Drogen's when she asked him to get her medkit. This suggests that he was doing more than rescuing her for the sake of rescuing her as much as getting himself a new companion; I imagine that the dating scene on that planet is probably rather limited due to the war, disease, and lack of food. So finding a healthy woman who's not going to look at you as their next meal would probably be a big deal and one not to be missed.

As I said, I'm sure he wanted more from her, but it isn't like he took her back to his place and raped her or anything, he didn't abuse her, in fact, he went out to get her medicine when she said she needed it. I just think that killing the guy, especially for a doctor, was a little harsh without at least trying more peaceful methods first. Yes, they have a time limit, but still...

So it's going to be interesting to see where Ed and Kelly's relationship goes moving forward. It's pretty clear that they still have feelings for each other, and now that we know that the attraction to Darulio is something that seemingly can't be controlled, it'll be interesting to see if they move them back towards a romantic angle, or if they keep the dynamic the way it is now.

So it's going to be interesting to see where Ed and Kelly's relationship goes moving forward. It's pretty clear that they still have feelings for each other, and now that we know that the attraction to Darulio is something that seemingly can't be controlled, it'll be interesting to see if they move them back towards a romantic angle, or if they keep the dynamic the way it is now.

I would like to see them stay away from putting them back together romantically and allow them to grow and learn to love each other as friends. Kelly going out on a limb and recommending Ed for command of the Orville indicates she has a lot of respect for him and wants him to do well. Now we just need Ed to realize that Kelly is also amazing at what she does and develop a similar level of respect and understanding... It would be nice to have them present Ed and Kelly as a healthy adult relationship that doesn't​ hinge on romance or sex.

I would like to see them stay away from putting them back together romantically and allow them to grow and learn to love each other as friends. Kelly going out on a limb and recommending Ed for command of the Orville indicates she has a lot of respect for him and wants him to do well. Now we just need Ed to realize that Kelly is also amazing at what she does and develop a similar level of respect and understanding... It would be nice to have them present Ed and Kelly as a healthy adult relationship that doesn't​ hinge on romance or sex.

Certainly they can't ever be together because, if you're going to be at all realistic, having a captain and a subordinate be romantically involved would immediately make the organization either replace one of them, or dismiss one of them from the command structure. I absolutely hate all of the shows that stick characters together where their working relationship would end immediately if they were being at all realistic.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back