I need a little help on this MIB Galaxy charm

I'm the guy that made the Galaxy Holder- and it was the only one I ever made. I just made that one for myself and never had any intention of producing them. That thing was a serious PITA to make. LOL....

It is in fact made from sterling silver. The marble inside came from a local shop near my work (I work as a professional jeweler) and I don't remember the exact diameter but I did happen to come across all the original drawings I did when I made the piece. I tried to size it based on the size of my cats at the time- no idea how accurate the finished size is. There's always room for improvement.....

The top frame section was cast as a single section. The bottom was made from multiple silver sections that were a combination of cast and fabricated parts. The really tricky part is that you have to insert the marble before joining the top and bottom halves together with the wire framework. Once everything was in place I laser welded the two halves together. The only other option would have been to glue them together as trying to solder them together with silver solder using a torch would have shattered the marble.

I remember hearing a few years ago that the original jeweler's work was very expensive (and rightfully so.) I think the only way to really make this an affordable piece would be to cast the upper half and lower sections in either resin or stainless steel and then glue the wires in to form the lower cage.

Jerome

I just got an email from the original maker who made them for the MIB movie
Hi Rob.Thanks again for your email.
Yes, I can make you some. They are $375 ea. and would take around 6-8 weeks (maybe less).
If you are interested, please let me know and we can discuss further.
Thanks!
Heidi
If anyone wants one just email her hnmd@comcast.net

You're kidding right.

For that kind of workman ship??? and from the SAME person who made it for the film?

Thats cheap!

Ya, but then again its made by the hand of the actual prop maker. There are not many times in the history of this hobby that the actual prop maker sold their own props to order.

For me im just going to make my own, but for people who can do this type of work this is a great alternative. It is only 4 cartons of smokes. LOL

That is a VERY good price! Quite frankly, I'm surprised at how low it is. If someone came into the shop where I work and asked me to make it would be a whole lot more than that.

Having said that I think it would still be cool to have a little resin or stainless cast kit of this. It wouldn't look anywhere near as nice though.

I dont think building these gets faster or cheaper the more she does. The old art of building the original by hand from wax, making an investment cast and casting the silver is pretty much a set amount of time per unit.

I saw one of these on ebay some time ago.
After I would have sent them both arms and both legs to pay for it I wouldn't have enjoyed it that much!:confused

Nice piece though!

heckuva deal
i would have reckoned on one more digit to be honest
from the maker that is.
i have on occassion dealt with people who flat refuse to tell me the prices of their wares. one of those if you have to ask you cant afford it deals

Bumping this old thread because I commissioned Heidi to make me one. The price is now $495, which is steep, but it includes shipping! :lol Well I should say, she also includes a sterling silver cat length necklace like she did for the film. It should ready in the next few weeks. I'll post pics when it arrives.

In the meantime, I'm going to get a cat collar embroidered like @Alan Castillo did, but something I noticed while taking screenshots is that there are 2 very different embroidered fonts on the collar. It's pretty jarring in fact. I'm assuming there are 2 totally different collars and not 1 collar with Orion's name embroidered twice. Since the collars appear in different scenes it's plausible that one was lost in the time between the scenes were shot. It's just pretty amazing that a script supervisor would let something like that slip.

Anyhoo, I think I'm going to go with the all caps version since that font will be easier to replicate.

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 5.42.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 5.59.49 PM.png

Nice, I still have mine made by Heidi a few years ago. It's an excellent piece and looks beautiful in person.

Nice, I still have mine made by Heidi a few years ago. It's an excellent piece and looks beautiful in person.

Awesome. I actually asked her about the different cat collars, in the off chance she knew. She said she had never noticed, and I told her not to worry because only obsessive people like me (and you fine folks here) would ever notice those things.

Also, she mentioned that the screen used one had a glass sphere painted green for the cgi. So I guess if you wanted to go realllly screen accurate, you could pop in a green ball (but then you have to get an orange cat for the display, and when does it end) :D.

The sphere she uses in hers is apatite, a natural mineral, that looks pretty galaxy-like.

My galaxy charm arrived from Heidi this morning. It. is. GORGEOUS.

I'm working on a display idea. I still need to get the cat collar made, and I'm thinking about getting a neutralizer for the base of the display. In the meantime, here are some pics...

IMG_6996.JPG
FullSizeRender 21.jpg IMG_6997.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back