Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I've seen every theatrical SW release with my folks (they are now 70, and 66). This time may be different. I don't know for sure, but now I'm thinking I'll find out if they kill Luke off or not in advance. If that turns out to be the case, I'll think we'll just be done.

To get personal for a moment, the last movie my folks and my brother and I saw together was RotJ on 3/14/97. A year to the day before my brother died. RotJ was his favorite movie, like, ever. I'm now suffering the damage of 34 years with type 1 diabetes. SW has been an awesome escape, but if they off Luke, well I just don't really care about the plight of the new characters if they go on without him.

Its gona be fine.. whats the worst that can happen? :D

I dont think well get incest kissing again, someones gona say Nooooooo!! and loose a hand, Fluffly things looking cute and a ball blows up, whats not to like about that? Oh and lots of things getting blown to bts and a bit of crying over Leia. Kylo frothing at the mouth blowing everything up in his new TIE, Lobster men getting served some whoop ass, a bit of torture in a room with coffins on the wall, funny moments to lighten the mood, before an epic Lightsaber battle with hot Rey and Krazy Kylo. Maybe another between Badass Luke and Snoke. Then everyone gets a shiny medal with Porgs on their shoulders and everyone runs out the theater having lightsaber battles all over the car park. Sounds great to me :popcorn

And ,unlike Marvel, which already has this massive character and narrative universe basically premapped for them with decades of comic scripts, storylines and concepts to cherry pick from, the Star Wars universe has virtually none.

Hey CutThumb ! I think this "virtually none" list might diagree with you ;) ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books

It seems to me there's quite a lot for Lucas to have drawn from if he was out of ideas before he sold off the franchise, and now that wellspring is available to Disney, their story writers, their screen writers, and their directors too, should they choose to sip from it.

Can I get a "Timothy Zahn!"?

TIMOTHY ZAHN!

I said, "Can I get a "Timothy Zahn!"?"

TIMOTHY ZAHN!

I said, "Can I get a "Timothy Zahn!"?"

TIMOTHY ZAHN! :love :D :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, what's the best Timothy Zahn book? And let's just focus on what the fans really want, which is more Boba Fett and Friends Bounty Hunter stories...amiright? I mean amiright?

Jeebus, those PORGS are soooo cute...I hope one of them becomes an Ambassdor of the Republic Senate...:lol

Wait, what's the best Timothy Zahn book? And let's just focus on what the fans really want, which is more Boba Fett and Friends Bounty Hunter stories...amiright? I mean amiright?

Jeebus, those PORGS are soooo cute...I hope one of them becomes an Ambassdor of the Republic Senate...:lol

In my best Vader voice

"Nooooooooooooo" :*(

...Vader was a Porg :D

bvk8Bx7.jpg

Big budgets and practical effects mean nothing without a good story as a foundation. Disney was probably right to toss George's treatments, but JJ, KK, Kasdan and whoever else is responsible for the TFA script didn't even try. There is barely a shred of artistic vision in the TFA story and it's visuals don't fare any better.

It continues to baffle me why JJ, a supposed OT fan, would be content to serve audiences such a thinly veiled regurgitation of ANH. I get that marketing toys to kids is the driving force behind these films and that playing it safe is par for the course in Hollywood, but JJ really does come across as a sell-out.

I won't argue that it's impossible for Rian Johnson to course correct the sequel trilogy, but I'm not holding my breath either. Case in point; they desperately want fans to believe that TLJ won't be a remake of ESB, yet we are already seeing footage that looks eerily similar to the Battle of Hoth.:facepalm There are enough red flags beside that to make me suspicious of Lucasfilm's definition of "different".

Right now I'm willing to entertain Bryancd's explanation that they were playing it safe with TFA. If TLJ turns into an ESB redux, I will return to my previous assessment. :)

Still I'm betting now that those ski speeders have some gimmick to bring down the new walkers, like a tow cable or something. They won't do anything as simple as "Hey we know from past experience, so we'll make sure we have big ordinance to take them out in the future."

Right now I'm willing to entertain Bryancd's explanation that they were playing it safe with TFA. If TLJ turns into an ESB redux, I will return to my previous assessment. :)

Well, it wasn't just an off the cuff assessment, JJ has acknowledged all of this. My previous explanation and defense of his choices simply made perfect sense to me.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jj-abrams-responds-rip-criticism-853352

Also, I know how those speeders attack the walkers...

The rd dust is a volatile compound and can be ignited. So the Speeders kick up the dust and then make it explode.

You mean the same Bryan who, just weeks from TFA's release, dismissed the growing rehash concerns by labeling them idiotic?

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=229962&p=3831670&viewfull=1#post3831670

Well, it wasn't just an off the cuff assessment, JJ has acknowledged all of this. My previous explanation and defense of his choices simply made perfect sense to me.

It might have made business sense, but the rest of us are discussing these films in terms of fandom, not financial investment. If there was any intent to appeal to existing fans then choosing to rehash ANH was a miscalculation. Why? Because even TFA's defenders cite that as their biggest criticism.

You mean the same Bryan who, just weeks from TFA's release, dismissed the growing rehash concerns by labeling them idiotic?

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=229962&p=3831670&viewfull=1#post3831670

It might have made business sense, but the rest of us are discussing these films in terms of fandom, not financial investment. If there was any intent to appeal to existing fans then choosing to rehash ANH was a miscalculation. Why? Because even TFA's defenders cite that as their biggest criticism.

I'm not interested in adjudicating this again. The film had broad based appeal, critical, and financial success without which we could have found ourselves in a far less ineteresting world of new Star Wars content.

lmao!! where is this thread going now lol :devil

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jj-abrams-responds-rip-criticism-853352

Also, I know how those speeders attack the walkers...

The rd dust is a volatile compound and can be ignited. So the Speeders kick up the dust and then make it explode.

If so youd think the one that crashes into the red dirt would have exploded? Maybe thats a just got away with it moment? I think those rocket guns on the side play an important part, maybe once "charged" the dust becomes explodable

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back